Does anyone else avoid these boards when you are struggling with money?

bjlc57

yes.. I have avoided this site..money, money money was why.. the last time we went was 4 years ago.. and at least 4 years prior to that.. at least.. and Disney isn't helping.. raising the cost.. starting to 'eliminate' a certain set of clientele.. ( mainly the under employed).. or those of us who live 2 days away.. the last time we went it was a true uphill battle. and it lasted over 2 and a half years.. to finally convince my wife, that we could spend the beans to go on this trip.. and it took videos made by posters here, and other things to convince her.. this year.. we have been discussing for over a year.. in fact last Christmas, it was determined that we would go again this may.. ( it also helps that we are different financially right now , as well).. and we are only paying for 2 instead of 4.. but even this year.. the trip for 2 cost what the trip for 4 cost back in 02.. or 03.. so yes, I avoided this site.. there are some other reasons as well. but money has been most of it..

MikeTaylorSound

I've just been too busy to come to the boards. I know there's going to be problems reported with the new systems and I know 7DMT will be up-and-running sometime soon, other than that... I could care less about DTD and the traffic nightmare around there.

I get WDWMagic's twitter feed, so, seeing some of the "full capacity" and wait times makes me appreciate the fact that we always plan a trip around our anniversary (which is usually during the F&G Festival), when it's considered "off peak." We just took two trips last year, so we may have to sit this year out. :'(

copcarguyp71

Not to be a gloomy Gus, but our last trip in September kind of soured us on the parks for a bit. So the fact that we're not going back next year doesn't bother me too much. I have found myself missing it though, especially Epcot.

Us too...but I think we miss the memories of past trips more than the actual experience of future trips...which is why we are in the same boat as you...only ours is bound for Aruba and not Orlando.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Not to be a gloomy Gus, but our last trip in September kind of soured us on the parks for a bit. So the fact that we're not going back next year doesn't bother me too much. I have found myself missing it though, especially Epcot.

We were at the parks during the same time in September and based on that I'd agree... However we also were back in December for 10 more days and it was quite a bit better experience. How many others are in the parks makes all the difference in the WDW. It was also colder and wetter in September than in December.

draybook

We were at the parks during the same time in September and based on that I'd agree... However we also were back in December for 10 more days and it was quite a bit better experience. How many others are in the parks makes all the difference in the WDW. It was also colder and wetter in September than in December.

Yeah, we were there from the 20-27th and I will never make the mistake of late September again. We usually go in the first two weeks but some others that had more seniority than me took those slots.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
I found this site BECAUSE OF my post-disney blues.
I found this site because I had just canceled a WDW trip (9 days out) because of the sudden and unexpected passing of my mom.
Our trip was scheduled 11/12/11-18/12/11. She passed on the 5th. Funeral on the 10th. I joined here on the 13th. This site is where I spent the next few numbed months, licking my wounds. Not sure what I would have done without you guys, and without being able to absorb some Disney joy vicariously through your posts.

JenniferS

Yeah, we were there from the 20-27th and I will never make the mistake of late September again. We usually go in the first two weeks but some others that had more seniority than me took those slots.
I think I've mentioned this to you before. Our trips overlapped. We were there 09/23-10/02. The weather on the 23rd and 24th was horrendous, but the remaining 8 days were glorious.

We were staying at POP, and were testing the MagicBands. Add in Legacy FastPasses (which we only used twice) and zero crowds, we were able to ride a ridiculous number of attractions. I'm thinking you did not have the same experience?

draybook

Well, there was only like two times where we got soaked, one being our DHS day in which we got drenched. But the crowds swelled up massively towards the end of the trip. No MB for us though, just straight paper FPs and KttW cards.

JenniferS

Well, there was only like two times where we got soaked, one being our DHS day in which we got drenched. But the crowds swelled up massively towards the end of the trip. No MB for us though, just straight paper FPs and KttW cards.
I followed Josh's (from that website which must not be named here) suggested park calendar, and found him to be bang on! We avoided parks with EMH. We went to MK on party nights, knowing it closed at 7:00, and planned dinner at one of the monorail resorts for 7:30. And of course, we park hopped, saving our FP+ for the second park of the day, and arriving early at the first park.
It really felt like the week after Labour Day, which used to be our preferred travel time.

popcenturylover

I'm on here almost everyday. We have been to WDW 3 times in the last 4 years but, have nothing planned for the future. Like others have said our last trip has made us rethink going so much. Don't get me wrong we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves but it was SO much planning that I didn't enjoy myself as much this time as we did in past trips. We went June 09' QS dining w/park hoppers & flew by the seat of our pants. It was great! In Sept 12' we had the free dining plan w/park hoppers & were also FP+ testers. Only had to pick FP' s out about a week or so in advance. It was a great trip! This past Dec we went on a free dining pin/ no hoppers. You had to plan EVERYTHING 6 months in advance. Not as enjoyable! Therefore we don't know when we'll be back! Thinking our next Disney trip will be DL or a cruise!

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
See with me, I enjoy my time so much at the parks that it almost becomes a let down when you know the next few months are going to be a struggle and it is silly to even think about planning a trip months down the road. Not that things can't pick up eventually, but I've done that before where I've stayed off these boards just because I didn't want to think about how poor my financial situation is. I guess not knowing for sure if we can go in the next year or two is a bit of a disapointment (although I am not saying it won't happen).

ddbowdoin

I'm honestly 50/50 on this topic... I feel you. I have a career but my true passion is photography and art. I used to show paintings pretty consistently in Boston, NYC, and Maine from about 2006-2009 until the art market dropped out and that money basically funded all of my future projects... paint, brushes, materials, and my photography as well. Now, that's basically dried up... you can make some coin but not all that much.

That said, between my art and Disney, those are two rather large hobbies. It isn't easy, certainly not.

I find myself coming here, getting the blues at peoples TR and PTR's but at the same time it's nice to get my fix online. I wish I knew other Disney fans in the flesh, it's nice online but nothing beats a real conversation.

whitney37354

I come here to keep up with the changes so I'll be prepared for my next trip, whenever that might be. Went went to WDW in June 2010, CR, TPV, Atrium Club Level, with park hopper, water park & more option, & Deluxe dining, every character meal WDW had except one. He said this would be our only trip. Before the vacation was over, DH promised us another trip "sometime".

He surprised us by telling me to book at trip at Ft. Wilderness October 2013 & we went with another family. We did park hoppers, but no dining plans. We ate some meals at the camper, skipped some meals & did snacks instead. We did have some TS & CS meals at parks & campground. DD had her own Disney Gift Card & knew she couldn't get lots more souvies when her money ran out. We did get a misting fan & light up Mickey necklace for her. DH & DD got into pin trading, so that was where most of our extra money went. DD & I shared CS meals to save money.

Our next trip will be June 2015 for DD's 10th birthday & we have asked all four grandparents if they want to go. We have researched & staying at a Value resort is cheaper than all of us staying in one suite at OKW or SSR. We don't plan to get park hoppers & we do plan to get CS dining plan. As soon as we got back from our October 2013 trip, we started a bucket of change for our next trip.

It's sometimes depressing to know I can't afford a trip right now, but it gives me something to look forward too!

Tiggerfanatic

After going for 4 years in a row and a trip to DLP, I kind of stayed away from the boards for awhile, not for finanacial reasons but I think just for overload. But I couldn't stay away for long, and I'm so glad I didn't; otherwise I wouldn't have have discovered the plans for the Ladies cruise that was being put together and I would have hated to miss that!

jlsHouston

I go both ways...I tend to be more upbeat and excited obviously when I am on this site and doing the countdowns and sharing my trip planning...and sometimes I just stay off the boards when I am not sure when funds will allow me to return....I've been really fortunate last couple of years to feed this WDW vacation obsession but even when it's months between park visits instead of years it can be depressing/sobering. But this board is really informative for me and of course there is a certain amount of living vicariously thru the plans of others that I enjoy...

WDWVolFan

I don't avoid it when I struggle with money but sometimes I do avoid it when I'm missing it really bad because I don't want to be jealous of those currently at the park.
I do avoid some threads though when in that given thread I see comments about how person A cannot believe people stay at the value or moderate resorts and that a Disney vacay for them must be in a luxury resort...I avoid those because it's extremely conceited and I disagree lol

KCheatle

I completely understand where you are coming from Op! The last couple of years our finances have been a roller-coaster! Luckily, and through some hard work and blessings, we've been able to scrap together the cash to take a trip to Disney World every 12-18 months despite our difficulties. In hindsight that may not have been the best way to manage our cash-situation. But, I have no regrets!

When money was really tight, I wasn't quite sure what to make of these boards. Disney had become my "escape" from the financial stresses, but every time I came on these boards and saw another person doing a trip report, or someone saying they were starting to pack for their trip, it depressed me. I was in a bind because at those times, I didn't have a trip booked, and could not have booked a trip. So, yeah, I took breaks from the boards during those times because the last thing my family and I needed was me spending money on a Disney vacation, which these boards tempt me to do.

It's definitely tough. But, I'll tell you what, it gets better :) My "roller coaster" went on for about 3 1/2 years. I finally "crossed the finish line" of that battle just about 2 months ago now.

My recommendation, if you're looking for one I guess, would be to use this as an "escape" from your stresses because you do need some way to escape to keep sane. Just remember that every day hundreds (if not thousands) of people book trips to Disney World, and it's just a matter of time until you are one of those people. It may be annoying that you don't know when that time will be right now, but rest assured that your stresses will resolve and you will make it back one day. :)

Ember

I took a break from the boards for quite some time after our trip this year. I seriously went through a Disney mourning period because I wasn't sure when the next trip would be. While I love reading about other people's trips it's much more exciting when you know that you will be experiencing these things soon. It's also hard when you are flat broke and see people posting their beautiful and crazy expensive meals at V&A and such. A meal there is more than my car payment lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom