Does an almost 5 year old need a stroller?

HouCuseChickie

When in doubt...bring or rent a stroller. WDW just involves soooooo much walking and it's a lot for little legs. Even if you only need it 10% of the time- think about how much strain it is to carry that 5 yr old. Plus a tired child is often a meltdown prone child- and that's enough to kill some of the magic.

My older one turned 5 on our last trip, but she was just barely 40" tall and totally needed the stroller at times. Sure, neither of our girls needs one all of the time, but for that 10-20% of the time where they are just totally exhausted - it's a lifesaver. Having the right stroller is also a big help. We brought our own sit n stand for our girls' first trip and it was OK, but we rented from Magic Strollers (recommended on Mousesavers) for our August trip and it was WONDERFUL. We rented a City Mini and both girls really liked it- enough that each of them actually fell asleep in it! I also found it easier to handle than any of my strollers. We'll probably rent again on our next trip.

alle

Have 2 granddaughters 7 & 9. Both are petite and about the same size at 50 lbs. Showed them pictures and discussed the idea of a stroller with them since they are "big" kids. Both looked at the park maps and all the walking involved and decided they'd like to have a stroller along "just in case". We figure we can stow our stuff in it if they're walking part of the time. There is NO way we could carry the girls at the end of the day. We don't care what anyone else thinks about the fact that they're older. It's a heck of a lot of walking! Wish I could fit in it!!!!:shrug:

SMS55

As the day wears on, the kid will be tired and cranky and it might offer the kid a chance to take a nap. It would be a good idea, atleast your first day to see how the kids handles all the walking. I took my son when he was three and we didn't rent one on day one. He was done for the night before 7:00pm.

CinderMama

I'm all for taking the stroller. We would just take an umbrella stroller like you can get at Walmart for about $20. I think my son used it some during the trip he turned 6. I don't think he used it everyday, but I do remember being glad we brought it. Just made for a happier kid which equals happier parents!

My twins just turned 5 but we used a stroller in December when they were still four. I might even use one when we go back in October. They've been out of the stroller since they were 2.5 at home, but Disney is an entirely different story. I'm so glad I had it--my husband had to work 3 out of 7 days and I was in the park with three small children by myself. It was really helpful!

We also used Kingdom Strollers and I can't say enough good things about them.

vjgraham

Our first trip ever to Disney, our boys were 5 and 7. We rented the dual strollers and it worked out great. Your choice but I do not think 5 is too old for stroller. It is alot of walking and you don't want to end up holding your child as it will get very tiresome very quickly.

meeskamickey

Last year we rented a double stroller. We had an almost 1 year old along with a 5 year old and 7 year old. I am so glad we spent the extra to get the double because our older two were always taking turns in the stroller. We don't use a stroller for any of our kids during our normal day to day outings. I think if you take into account long days in the park, the heat, excitement of children, etc. you may want to have the stroller along. Stroller or no stroller, hope you have a fun vacation!

CaptainJackNO

My husband and I are having a debate about this. Our son used one last year, when he was 3.5 and fell asleep almost every day around lunch. My husband thinks that an almost 5 year old is too big for a stroller and that he needs to learn to walk on his own and normally I agree. However I think our vacation will be much more pleasant if we're not dragging or carrying around a cranky kid for the second half of the day.

Your opinions and personal experience would be appreciated.

Ohhhhhhhhhh Yes. They will get tired and cranky. BRing or rent a stroller. You will be thankful.

EvilQueen-T

bethram...i'd say get a stroller. BUT if your husband insists on not using one i'd suggest you put your foot down and let him know that HE can deal with the leaning against the parent, tired, cranky, pick me up in line 5 y/o NOT you. if you go the first day or two and the 5 y/o just doesn't ride then skip it the rest of the trip :shrug:. why anyone would insist on making a long tiring vacation day miserable when you have a perfectly acceptable solution/prevention i'll never understand.

Sumrdog

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if your kid can handle walking it is pretty awesome to be able to manage without a stroller. My daughter didn't need a stroller when she was five and it was blissful to be able to easily pass through crowds without having to manueuver the stroller. That was the only stroller free trip we have had to WDW and we still reflect on how free we felt not having to fold it up getting off and on the bus etc.. Our son came along a few months later and we were back to needing a stroller. Which has its own merits, you can hang all your stuff off of it.
But every kid is so different and I would never force one to walk who doesn't have the energy. The nice thing is that you can just rent one if you need it at the parks, then you don't have to deal with it on the buses.
The bottom line is no, 5 is not too old to use a stroller you may just be pushing it empty for half the day.

EvilQueen-T

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if your kid can handle walking it is pretty awesome to be able to manage without a stroller. My daughter didn't need a stroller when she was five and it was blissful to be able to easily pass through crowds without having to manueuver the stroller. That was the only stroller free trip we have had to WDW and we still reflect on how free we felt not having to fold it up getting off and on the bus etc.. Our son came along a few months later and we were back to needing a stroller. Which has its own merits, you can hang all your stuff off of it.
But every kid is so different and I would never force one to walk who doesn't have the energy. The nice thing is that you can just rent one if you need it at the parks, then you don't have to deal with it on the buses.
The bottom line is no, 5 is not too old to use a stroller you may just be pushing it empty for half the day.

that is true...my granddaughter at 7 still rode, my son didn't ride after the age of 3 or 4 and my daughter didn't ride after 5 but totally different kids. my granddaughter can go from rope drop until the end of 1-3am emh but my kids couldn't go near as long so for us the stroller is worth it.

wdwfan317

No.

Does your child know how to walk? is he/she handicapped in any way? Perhaps you WOULD need a stroller in that instance. Otherwise, I say no. Plan out plenty of time to stop, rest in the shade, have a snack or drink, go back to hotel for a nap, etc, but an almost FIVE year old does NOT need a stroller. My son, David was just turning 4 last year and when we went to WDW, we left the stroller at home. When he got mopey or tired, we rested, got him a treat/drink, went to an indoor, air conditioned show or we left the park. You will do just fine without a stroller, I assure you. : ) You'll be in the happiest, most magical place on earth! :wave:

Minnie1976

Bring an umbrella stroller. Easy to handle and fold up for on bus, etc. If you find you don't need it, leave it in the room. You have it just in case.

TakeMeThere81

I am glad you posted this and I'm especially intrigued by all of the replies by parents of kids about age 7. We have 3 kids we will be taking to DLR in Sept. They will be ages 12, 9 and 7. When we take them to the zoo they all do ok(although the middle child lags behind because he is a naturally slow walker who dawdles), but depending on the day (it could be one hour or 5), our youngest son ALWAYS gets to the "my feet hurt" point of the tour. It doesn't matter what shoes he is wearing, he just gets tired of walking. But I was in the same boat...is it totally rediculous to bring our stroller for a 7-year-old? And at the same time, the zoo is constant walking and exhibits. Disneyland attractions you get to sit down often for...

I think I am going to try the method of "getting him into shape beforehand" first to just see if it is practical to go without a stroller at all. By going for lots of walks that range from throughout the day to just one longer one at night we can see if he starts to do better. Honestly, I really want to avoid bringing a stroller! Aside from our mom-and-dad-only trip last February, we have never gone to Disneyworld or Disneyland without a stroller. It would really be nice to avoid the hassle.

That being said, one really great benefit to about having a stroller is that for the points when your children are riding, they stay in one place and can't wander. You get a break from having to herding cats so to speak. :animwink:

We bought one of the "disposable" strollers...and also used the bag carrier from a camp chair to carry the stroller...worked great for our 4 y.o....she could ride late in the day and we could carry said device much easier! Good luck!

LOVE this tip!!

We just said heck with it we are bringing it. if they want to walk then they will walk, if they are tired they can ride. Plus having a stroller is a great place to keep all your stuff anyway.

True!

This upcoming trip is my daughters 11th. She is 6 and a half. I will be bringing the stroller once again. She manages without it most of the day, but she is 52 inches tall and 52 pounds. I cannot manage to carry her at midnight back to the bus and then back to the room. We take the stroller and drop it off in one of the many stroller parking lots in the parks and come back for it later.

Good points and my fears exactly! I just know that by the end of the night, DS-7 years will be exhausted and will want to be carried which neither DH nor I can do when tired after walking all day (he weighs about 60 lbs!). I also like the idea that the stroller can be used intermittently as you move from land to land and DC can still walk quite a bit, but it can get you from main point to main point.

Annielkd

My son did fine his first time at Disney, but by that time he was walking with us daily for at least 3 miles a day. He also was able to bike ride 5 miles. You know your child, do you think he could walk 3 miles... I'm pretty sure that in the course of the day that's how far you will walk. My son didn't need one and I'm glad he didn't. BUT, if you think your child does, you should use it.

tchauvin

We are visiting Disney in September and We rented a stroller for my daughter who will be 5 and a half. If she uses it she uses it, if not thats fine too. We figured if nothing we can use it to put all our stuff from the day, and if she needs it we have it

Witchy Chick

I’m so glad I found this site (and this particular thread). :) My darling yet sometime-insane DH thinks I’m going overboard in wanting to take our sit-and-stand on our WDW trip Jan 2013. Our DD will be 4.5, and DS will be a couple weeks shy of 3.

I’m printing this thread and adding it to my “planning” folder. ;)

Witchy

Kita79

So glad I found this thread because I was wondering if I should bring a stroller for my daughter and it seems like the answer is yes just in case she gets tired. Now I'm wondering if I should rent one while I'm there in October or just buy an umbrella stroller that way I can use while I'm at the airport for our flights and get around the airports:veryconfu.

Vader2112

It's quite simple really. A WDW schedule is very demanding even on a parent. I have two children (3 and 7) and they will be in a stroller on our next trip in 80 days:) The enjoyment of WDW is exponential when you have two children who can keep up on those long days and a stroller makes that happen. I respect all of those who hate the strollers, but when they start paying my way, then I'll leave it at home. I don't use it as a battering ram, but I will not let another persons opinion dictate how I will enjoy MY trip with MY children.

Good for you! I get tired of people giving me dirty look for having a double stroller and taking my time. Next time watcdh where you are going when cutting across a crowd of people and you will not get hit by the front end or if you hit into my kid do not be surprised if I give you a look or call you an A-hole if there is not an immediate appology for stepping on my child.
I have a 2 and a 4 year old and people are down right rude if you are pushing a stroller or even if you are walking holding your childs hand. Several people just cut right in front of us me this past weekend nearly knocking into the kids This happened going to the Disney Junior Stage Show. Sorry but the Disney Junior Show is kind of meant for little ones. Not a group of 50 year old kids at heart, was kind of creepy IMO. Same with the Holywwod and Vine Charecter Lunch. A group of older people sit next to us and look and my wife and I in disgust when my kids are cheerign and laughing that Jake is coming to the table. Sorry family restaurant not to mention an interactive experrience based on shows geared to the preschool set. Are you really sitting at home watching Jake and Oso? Plus if you are waiting entry into the restarant and the Hostess announces there is no seating available unless you have an ADR move on and do not intentional stand in my way dispute saying excuse me to get by. Yes I tried it in 3 different languages and variying volumes understanding not everyone speaks English visiting WDW. :fork:
Well that is my off topic rant for the day.:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom