Doc McStuffins coming to Studios

Matt_Black

If I were still a kid and had the choice of meeting Sugar Bear or going on Pirates of the Caribbean, I would be on the ride...
When I was a kid the Characters roamed the parks...no lines, you never knew who would show up or not, and it was fun to meet a character but did not feel slighted if I did not... They did not market the characters as an attraction back then...

True, but there are many valid reasons for having dedicated meet areas. First, you don't have to cross your fingers and hope you'll meet a favorite character. If you want to meet Snow White, then you can rest assured that she usually meets here at this time. So, in part it's for the guests' benefit.

Furthermore, it's also for the benefit of the characters. It helps to limit potential issues with unruly guests, and many of the areas are picked for comfort- nice shady spots or indoor areas with AC. I have no problem with Disney taking steps to make things easier on performers.

And while I can understand folks wanting rides, I don't go to WDW just for the rides. Living in the Philadelphia area, if I wanted rides, there are numerous places I could that are both closer and cheaper. I go to WDW for experiences I can't get at other parks, and one of those experiences is the chance to interact with beloved characters, like the princesses or Goofy or Donald Duck.

Cesar R M

Here's what she looked like at D23 -

IMGP4788.jpg
sorry to say but thats.. disturbing.. D:

asianway

True, but there are many valid reasons for having dedicated meet areas. First, you don't have to cross your fingers and hope you'll meet a favorite character. If you want to meet Snow White, then you can rest assured that she usually meets here at this time. So, in part it's for the guests' benefit.

Furthermore, it's also for the benefit of the characters. It helps to limit potential issues with unruly guests, and many of the areas are picked for comfort- nice shady spots or indoor areas with AC. I have no problem with Disney taking steps to make things easier on performers.

And while I can understand folks wanting rides, I don't go to WDW just for the rides. Living in the Philadelphia area, if I wanted rides, there are numerous places I could that are both closer and cheaper. I go to WDW for experiences I can't get at other parks, and one of those experiences is the chance to interact with beloved characters, like the princesses or Goofy or Donald Duck.
But if a character isn't in rotation, like say the old hag, you now have ZERO chance of seeing them

Bocabear

But you are not meeting Snow White...you are meeting a college kid in a costume....

Matt_Black

But if a character isn't in rotation, like say the old hag, you now have ZERO chance of seeing them

Well, there are degrees of rotation. Think of it in terms of Dungeons & Dragons Random Encounters from the Monstrous Manual. Mickey & the Gang and most of the princesses are like elves, dwarfs, and orcs. The princes are less common, though you can find them with a bit of planning. And so one down to the characters that never ever come out anymore and aren't likely to anytime soon barring a huge shift in audience tastes, like Goliath from Gargoyles or anyone from Treasure Planet or Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

To put it another way, Meeko and Pinocchio are pretty uncommon, and I managed to snag pictures with both of them a few weeks ago.

But you are not meeting Snow White...you are meeting a college kid in a costume....

... LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

asianway

Well, there are degrees of rotation. Think of it in terms of Dungeons & Dragons Random Encounters from the Monstrous Manual. Mickey & the Gang and most of the princesses are like elves, dwarfs, and orcs. The princes are less common, though you can find them with a bit of planning. And so one down to the characters that never ever come out anymore and aren't likely to anytime soon barring a huge shift in audience tastes, like Goliath from Gargoyles or anyone from Treasure Planet or Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

To put it another way, Meeko and Pinocchio are pretty uncommon, and I managed to snag pictures with both of them a few weeks ago.

... LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.
Meeko & Pinocchio are about as common as they come

asianway

I don't know about Meeko, but if Pinocchio is so common, then how come people on these very boards have complained that he never seems to be out for meet and greets?

I would define "common" in this context as meeting at 2 or more locations throughout WDW several times a day on a regular, predictable basis. Mickey and Minnie? VERY common. Pinoke? Not so much.
Define it however you want...while neither meets on a regular schedule all 4 parks have Meeko & all but AK has Pinocchio. They are both very likely at the Fantasmic sets which is probably where you saw them. Radcliffe or Foulfellow-that's uncommon

asianway

So, why is it that neither one was listed in the times guide or the app when I went a few weeks ago, or why again people here have bemoaned* the fact that Pinocchio is really hard to meet?

*While a touch dramatic, I think this perfectly sums up how some people feel. That tragic, noble yearning at wanting to meet the spunky little puppet who dreamed of becoming a real boy....
The only people bemoaning Pinocchio are helicopter moms who want to plan their vacation down to the minute. Again, they're at the F! Sets several times a week when not on hiatus and are frequent pop up characters at the other parks

asianway

If I need to rely on a combination of planning, persistence, and plain dumb luck to meet a character, they're not common. By the same token, I can go into any park and know that, if I wanted to, I could meet Mickey throughout the day at my leisure. Perhaps instead of using "common" or "rare", we should use terms like "easy" or "difficult". In WDW, going by my own experience, the experiences of people I've talked, and from sites dedicated to character meets at WDW, I would absolutely put Pinocchio in the "not that easy to meet" category.
Good thing you don't run a character site then. Congratulations on meeting Pinocchio, quite the accomplishment

asianway

And you must feel very proud to be using sarcasm on the internet. How clever and innovative!

EDIT: By the way, you might want to tell the folks here how wrong their site is, or at least present evidence that supports your claim.
Why don't you ask Dan? I see you've been posting there...

asianway

So, the answer is no, then, you DON'T have anything to back up your argument. Okay, I think we're done debating this for now. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Pinocchio appears several times a week around WDW... He is a common character. More so when you look at it globally. He's daily at DL & Tokyo...

Good grief you just asked someone who met Lampwick how rare Pinocchio is....

IWantMyMagicBand

You are meeting a college kid in a costume. But my kids are meeting the real live actual Snow White. All depends on the individual :)
This is why I don't get grown-ups waiting to meet other grown-ups who are dressed as children. If it was a real star, Brad Pitt for instance, then I could understand. A grown-up meeting Brad is like a kid meeting Doc. My kids also like the bear characters that collect for charity at our supermarket (Pudsey is one of them). I haven't seen grown-ups do that.
But as I've said before, I don't get it but I don't think grown-ups should stop meeting other grown-ups dressed as children. Whatever floats ya boat....

Matt_Black

This is why I don't get grown-ups waiting to meet other grown-ups who are dressed as children. If it was a real star, Brad Pitt for instance, then I could understand. A grown-up meeting Brad is like a kid meeting Doc. My kids also like the bear characters that collect for charity at our supermarket (Pudsey is one of them). I haven't seen grown-ups do that.
But as I've said before, I don't get it but I don't think grown-ups should stop meeting other grown-ups dressed as children. Whatever floats ya boat....

I see it like it enjoying the play or watching a movie. Obviously, I don't believe that Robert Downey Jr. actually built a high-tech suit of armor; it's called suspension of disbelief, and the Disney Parks count on that.

WDWYankee15

@berlioz70 has met just about every character that can appear in FL- she has ranked them all and has a category of "random" for just this ranking. I'd go so far to say she is the best person to make such a list(except maybe my pal countrybearfan who has quite the wealth of knowledge) here's a link. I suggest you study it.
https://sites.google.com/site/wdwcharacterhunt/home/frequency

Ps sorry to interrupt baby's first thanksgiving Berlioz!
I agree.

Also can I suggest someone create a thread to debate the merits of meet and greets. This thread has been hijacked like so many others. Let's leave this thread for information specifically about Doc. Those of us with preschool aged children seeking info don't need to read through countless pages of complaints and debates about the rarity of certain characters. Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I see it like it enjoying the play or watching a movie. Obviously, I don't believe that Robert Downey Jr. actually built a high-tech suit of armor; it's called suspension of disbelief, and the Disney Parks count on that.
Just a sidebar on that term:

Originally the term was coined to express that the author did such a good job of telling their tale that the listener could not judge the plausibility of the tale. It has now been twisted to imply that the reader/viewer should not judge anything for sheer entertainment purposes.

Cesar R M

Why do adults like halloween then?

IWantMyMagicBand

RDJ - mmmmm drooooool....... But if I met RDJ dressed as Ironman, I would be meeting RDJ dressed as Ironman - not Ironman himself.
Anyhoo, back to the topic: My kids are super excited Doc is coming :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom