Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

DVCakaCarlF

Some have opened and then decided to close on their own accord. That is a bad sign.
I would argue that places that have chosen to close are dealing with the following:

- Inability to staff...people refusing to come to work.

- Unable to accomplish social distancing guidelines due to limited SQFT.

- Government regulations.

- Less than profitable operations.

I guarantee no one is closing their doors because of their concerns for spreading Covid...this is specifically done on a financial perspective, only.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The reality is that some stores at Springs will not reopen, and, as a matter of circumstance, many businesses, outside of WDW, will not either.
It’s a worldwide recession. There will be businesses that go under. The government is doing the best they can to get things open and open safely. As we have seen recently with the bar pull backs, rushing things can lead to a poor outcome for businesses too.

DVCakaCarlF

Opening WDW is like restarting a loom machine, after it is shutdown. It’s not easy, and, because the process has started, there’s no turning back.

If they close again, they will not open, again...at least, not as WDW.

LiterallyNobody

I would argue that places that have chosen to close are dealing with the following:

- Inability to staff...people refusing to come to work.

- Unable to accomplish social distancing guidelines due to limited SQFT.

- Government regulations.

- Less than profitable operations.

I guarantee no one is closing their doors because of their concerns for spreading Covid...this is specifically done on a financial perspective, only.

I would agree if it were a small company or kiosk. But not when it is Uniqlo. They pay a ton for that space they have, they are constantly busy, and were staffed. They are just a company that cares. They are an 8 billion dollar company that simply knows what is the right thing to do.

Herdman

Has there been any hint of Universal or Sea World closing? Not that Disney is going to pay any attention to what they do, but it could lend some insight into the industry as a whole.

DVCakaCarlF

I would agree if it were a small company or kiosk. But not when it is Uniqlo. They pay a ton for that space they have, they are constantly busy, and were staffed. They are just a company that cares. They are an 8 billion dollar company that simply knows what is the right thing to do.
I’m speaking about companies in general...and, btw, I doubt they are paying rent right now.

Springs already has non Disney owned stores voluntarily closing. Expect more this week.
It’s too bad, but not unsurprising either, they had to do what they believe is the safest option for themselves. I think like many here have said, this is likely the last week to press the ‘pause’ button on the theme parks. I’d be very curious to see how/if Universal or Seaworld take any action by the end of the week, I can’t imagine it isn’t being discussed.

Magic Feather

Also, who other than Uniqlo has closed? While it is a big one, they always skewed cautious with significantly reduced hours (and opening later than the others if I recall). Once we see more than a handful (and at least more than one) then I’d entertain a level of concern over the parks not opening as planned.

TrojanUSC

Fewer of the people getting infected are getting seriously sick. Even as the number of infections has increased, the number of hospitalizations has slowed. At the start of the month, the state announced one hospitalization for every 10 infections. That number has since fallen to one in 20.

That’s probably because the people getting infected are younger. The median age of new cases dropped from a high of 65 in early March to 35 as of Thursday. It has continued to drop in recent days, as more cases have been discovered.

Just saying "OMG lots more cases means lots more deaths" is misleading and disingenuous. If more young people are found to have the virus, this does not mean the vulnerable will be dying.

We DO need to keep social distancing and continue to protect the elderly. A blanket "CLOSE EVERYTHING" is not the answer.

PS, I fully support anyone's decision to feel differently and to take steps they feel is appropriate to keep themselves safe.

Much love.

It is still too early to tell whether the newest spike will lead to overrun hospitals. It is also important to note that the young people who are now being infected to do not live in silos, many live in multi-generational households or interact with more at-risk people every day who will be included in the numbers soon as as they, too, become infected.

I would have to assume they are looking at this from many different angles. Have more canceled their trips then expected? Are the costs to operate at that point worth it? If they did delay, what sort of backlash can expect? If they do not delay, but the numbers continue to climb, how does that look optics-wise to them as a brand regarding safety for everyone? All of the theme parks in the area are likely tracking these new numbers and watching trying to formulate what they may have to do if it really balloons over the next week or two. If we have no new info by the end of the week from anyone, especially if the stats really start trending upward in quick succession, I'd be shocked. I thought the week waiting for a reopening date was interesting. This week will certainly be worth watching to see what unfolds. Anything can happen at this rate.

Giss Neric

I ultimately blame the entitled Americans who won't wear a mask. Wear a mask. It's not that hard.

It's so frustrating to see videos on social media of people causing a scene at Trader Joe's, Costco, Whole Foods, Walmart and Target etc. cause they don't wanna wear a mask. People choose to embarrass themselves rather than protect themselves.

No, I want Disney World to push through opening. Universal, Sea World, Lego Land and Busch Gardens as well as water parks are open. Disney is no exception. If you close one, close all theme parks then.

Logan L

Original Poster
im Not saying that I like having to wear a mask in Disney world, but I want to go more than I don’t. It’s simple, if you don't want to Comply with the rules and wear a mask, don’t go. Wait until masks aren’t required. we have reservations forJuly 25- August 1. I don’t want to wear a mask, but I know that it is what I need to do to be able to go.

Last edited:

Logan L

Original Poster
we will know by this week if they extend the date. we should keep our eyes out for small changes that may indicate that something is happening in the coming days.

esskay

Should they postpone? Yes
Will they? I hope so, but doubt it.

In terms of losing money by not repopening, the parks wont be profitable for a LONG time. Making a profit with so few people there (many of which are going to be passholders / dvc) isnt even going to be an option.

I kinda get why they don't want to postpone, it must be a monumental task to re-open the parks and get everyone in place to do so. But the situation cant be ignored.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

I ultimately blame the entitled Americans who won't wear a mask. Wear a mask. It's not that hard.

It's so frustrating to see videos on social media of people causing a scene at Trader Joe's, Costco, Whole Foods, Walmart and Target etc. cause they don't wanna wear a mask. People choose to embarrass themselves rather than protect themselves.

No, I want Disney World to push through opening. Universal, Sea World, Lego Land and Busch Gardens as well as water parks are open. Disney is no exception. If you close one, close all theme parks then.

This spike has very little to do with people not wearing masks. It has a lot to do with young people gathering at bars or in other social settings, not social distancing AND not wearing masks. There isn't a sudden spread happening from a handful of people making a scene at some store over wearing a mask.

When social distancing was first implemented at "essential" businesses without masks, the infection rate dropped dramatically. The social distancing is the key. The masks are to help when social distancing isn't possible. This focus on masks as being the main culprit is just to make it a political issue and have the narrative that one side of the spectrum doesn't care about people. Don't let the fact that the age demographic responsible for this spike is also the least likely to be on that side get in the way of some good discourse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom