Do you think now that HP uses the Kuka robotic arm for a ride....

Rush2112

Original Poster
That disney will follow suit with some kind of dark ride. We all know that Sum of all thrills uses this type of machine, but will we see something similar like Forbidden Journey at IOA.

Rob562

The way I understand it, they can`t put a KUKA on a track. SOAT is the same as KUKAs mall / travelling fair attraction system.

Could it also have something to do with Sum of all Thrills technically being sponsored by someone who isn't Disney? (Raytheon, right?)

-Rob

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Legend has it that Disney evaluated the Kuka system and rejected it. I personally feel the FJ ride system will be like the Mission Space ride system - a one shot deal.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Legend has it that Disney evaluated the Kuka system and rejected it. I personally feel the FJ ride system will be like the Mission Space ride system - a one shot deal.
Weren't there some serious reliability problems with the original system? If so have they been fixed or could US have another Rip Ride and Rockit on their hands?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Weren't there some serious reliability problems with the original system? If so have they been fixed or could US have another Rip Ride and Rockit on their hands?

Yeah I believe there were issues. Both east coast and west coast Nemo arms have had their issues, not sure how Sum of All Thrills is doing.

If Disney had really wanted it, they would have had it.

SleepingMonk

Yeah I believe there were issues. Both east coast and west coast Nemo arms have had their issues, not sure how Sum of All Thrills is doing.

If Disney had really wanted it, they would have had it.

If it fit in the numbers crunched budget they would have had it maybe.

Disney of today is more likely to start planning with a KUKA arm and end the project with a rolling chair and LCD screen.

And the LCD screen is probably a recycled unit from a resort refurb.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
If it fit in the numbers crunched budget they would have had it maybe.

Disney of today is more likely to start planning with a KUKA arm and end the project with a rolling chair and LCD screen.

And the LCD screen is probably a recycled unit from a resort refurb.

Every company has to follow numbers, otherwise they go out of business very quickly.

I think over the years Disney have proven themselves to push the envelope with ride systems. They spent an absolute fortune on the Mission Space, ToT, EMV, and Star Tours ride systems. The Kuka arm was not for them.

fosse76

Every company has to follow numbers, otherwise they go out of business very quickly.

I think over the years Disney have proven themselves to push the envelope with ride systems. They spent an absolute fortune on the Mission Space, ToT, EMV, and Star Tours ride systems. The Kuka arm was not for them.

I'm not sure you can include Star Tours in that list. That technology had been in use for a while (though I don't know if it had been in a theme park setting).

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not sure you can include Star Tours in that list. That technology had been in use for a while (though I don't know if it had been in a theme park setting).

Yep Disney got the simulators for both Mission Space and Star Tours from military/aerospace applications. First time use in theme parks and making aerospace tech available the masses.

Rob562

There's been mention about Guests with larger than a 48" chest having trouble with the restraints latching closed, and also the weight-capacity of each arm being less-than-ideal.

-Rob

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There's been mention about Guests with larger than a 48" chest having trouble with the restraints latching closed, and also the weight-capacity of each arm being less-than-ideal.

-Rob
Any idea what the official weight limit is? I heard a figure of 250 lbs thrown around but that seems kind of on the low end.

Rush2112

Original Poster
I'm 278 and I was able to get on, and yes the restraints are tight but it's one of those things that they claim t to be working on. Personally I think it's a sad sight to see that alot of the population including myself are too overweight.

Figment1986

There is still the G3 Robocoaster concept...

*has watched the 2008 product DVD from IAAPA a few too many times...*

I hope they are at IAAPA 2010 so I can question them about their products current applications :D (With HP being one of the first G2s, and Sum of All Thrills being one of the first G1 simulators and one of a bunch of G1s overall, yet no G3s that I can think of.)

misterID

But I think the Kuka system has much more reusable value than the Mission Space ride system, though. I'd probably compare it more to Test Track or even Indy, where the design will evolve into better attractions and become much more reliable and versatile. I don't think it'll be one and done. I think there's a lot of places to take the Kuka system, still. Unlike M:S.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom