Do you think mission space is too intense for old people?

ssidiouss@mac.c

Original Poster
Me and my wife are taking our two moms on their first ever Disney World vacation in a few weeks. They are both around 58 years old and in good shape. We planned to do almost all the attractions that we think are impressive.. from Splash Mountain to Tower Of Terror.. but the one ride that we thought might be too intense if Mission Space.

I love mission space.. and its a very impressive ride to me.. one that shouldnt be missied. My wife likes it too.. but admits it could be the one ride in Disney World that may be too intense for our moms.

I am curious of anyone who is older or knows anyone who is older that have gone on mission space.. what are your thoughts on the ride?

coln84

I have been on Mission Space with some older people in my cabin. I would say no older than your mom's. However its one of those rides that can be hard to tell. If they have every been on a carnival ride such as "the ufo" or "round up" then they should be fine. If worst case scenerio have them wait in line, let the warnings either scare them or hype them and then they can choose to ride or opt out. (plus the will be able to see the pre-show)

Skippy

It varies from person to person, like coln84 said. Just keep in mind that it's a motion simulator and not a rollercoasterlike ride, so if they can handle those types of rides, but stay away from motion-simulators it might not be a good idea.

HunnyPot

My mother is 56 and LOVED it. But, my father, 57, didn't enjoy it at all. I think it just depends on the person, as stated above. If they want to ride, by all means, get them on!

imagineer boy

If they are in good healthy condition, perhaps with a history without back or neck problems, heart or brain problems, ect. they'll proably be fine. As far as intensity goes if they can handle Space Mountain, then they can probably handle this.

Micca

I have experienced this attraction a few times, and while I found it very well done, it's just a bit too intense for me. Besides, who wants to be at Epcot on an empty stomach?:)

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">What they should have is an Old Person Rider Switch Pass... I know, I know... Tasteless joke...</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

crazydaveh

My mom is in her mid 50's and begs to leave the MK to get on M:S! My mother in law who is also in her mid 50's was hesitant to ride it, but once she got on, she wanted to ride it again!

Note... Do not get a beer in every world before riding M:S! Just a heads up!

wannabeBelle

My Uncle was in his late 50's early 60's whe he rode M:S and liked it and had no ill effects. My Aunt who is a few years younger came off slightly disoriented and needed to sit for a bit, have a lemonade & relax. She enjoyed the ride but wouldnt go on again. It really is an individual preference thing, as to what your body can tolerate etc. Belle

WDWBro

Not to be rude, but my dad doesn't like M:S ot ToT, because he is pretty big. If your parnets are kind of fat, and I mean this kindly, they maybe should not ride.

The Mom

Premium Member
Mid 50s, no problems whatsoever. However, my husband hated it, and felt queasy for the rest of the day. He loves ALL coasters, I don't. He cannot tolerate the teacups, Dumbo, etc. so if your parents have problems spinning they should skip it.

My daughter doesn't like, but The Son, who was king of the "Sit n' Spin" could ride it all day. :lol:

Mystic

My mom's in her mid 50s and she loved it. Went on it twice the last time we were down. Give your mom's the option. Tell them about it and about the safety precautions and let them decide if they want to ride it or not.

KaliSplash

My dad is 74 and mom is 71 and I don't think either of them would ride.
But then, they wouldn't ride any of the coasters, either.

I'm closing on 53 and love it.

As mentioned by nearly all above, let them go through the line, hear the spiels and decide. do they ride Star Tours or Body Wars. Do they have problems with the 360 movies, which can feel like the theater is moving? if so, I'd keep them away. But if these attractions cause no problems, I'd encourage them to give it a try.

There is no spinning sensation unless you look out the window in the door!

Crazy Harry

It's funny but I've been pondering this same notion recently concerning my father. I'd like to take him on a father son vacation to WDW next winter and he is older (53) and not in outstanding condition. He has never experienced a documented heart condition, however I am rather paranoid about his health. He simply does not take care of himself.

I read all of these stories of deaths at WDW and amusement parks in general and I drive myself mad putting myself in their shoes.

I think I wouldn't even let him go on MS. TOT is iffy. RNRC he won't go on regardless. Startours, space mt, splash mt, and everest are probable.

I suppose I need to remind myself that I took him to Valley fair a few years back when he was in worse shape and rode Wild Thing no problem.

Here's a related question. Are there any adults here who feel silly going on certain rides. As much as I love rides like Peter Pan, Snow White, Small World, ect, I can just imagine it may look funny for two grown men to ride them by ourselves.

Thomas_M

I went on the ride in May 2004 and absolutely loved it. The thing my brother and I were discussing after that tradgic incident with that child is whether or not they were going to reduce the G's they put on you.

Obviously none of the CM'S told us how many G's the ride had back then, and still to this date I don't know.

I personally prefer outdoor coasters because of the air as opposed to being in a smaller contained area like M:S.

None the less it's a ride experience like no other and would recommend it to people that want to try a unique ride.

Hope you try it and enjoy! :sohappy:

CThaddeus

If we let other people dictate whether or not we should be allowed to do things such as go on attractions like Snow White and Peter Pan, we rob ourselves. People can think whatever they want of me; I'm happy to admit to anyone that I go on just about every Disney attraction (I don't go on Dumbo, the carousel, or other similar carnival-style rides because they don't offer any kind of story). I love going on Small World, I love waching Voyage of the Little Mermaid, and I will even go on Goofy's Barnstormer if there's a short line (I should point out I'm a 35 year old male...and straight, if it matters). If someone says you look like a dork for going on Peter Pan, he's probably the type who has no problem getting wasted, painting his body various colors, and screaming like a maniac at a football game. Is this really the kind of person you need to have validate you or your existence?

My mom is 60 and she enjoyed it.
In fact she said it could be more thrilling. She loves Hulk and DD at IOA!
What I want to say is that I think if you are really healthy it almost doesn't matter how old you are.

wannabeBelle

CThaddeus said:
If we let other people dictate whether or not we should be allowed to do things such as go on attractions like Snow White and Peter Pan, we rob ourselves. People can think whatever they want of me; I'm happy to admit to anyone that I go on just about every Disney attraction (I don't go on Dumbo, the carousel, or other similar carnival-style rides because they don't offer any kind of story). I love going on Small World, I love waching Voyage of the Little Mermaid, and I will even go on Goofy's Barnstormer if there's a short line (I should point out I'm a 35 year old male...and straight, if it matters). If someone says you look like a dork for going on Peter Pan, he's probably the type who has no problem getting wasted, painting his body various colors, and screaming like a maniac at a football game. Is this really the kind of person you need to have validate you or your existence?
Well said!!! Belle

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom