Do you think a Batman or Superman attraction would be good in Disney?

mergatroid

Original Poster
Firstly let me clarify, I haven't heard anything about this ever!!!!!!!!

However with the success of superhero movies over the years and with Disney's liking to go with Avatar and Star Wars, I was wondering whether they'd ever go the Batman or Superman route? I could imagine them doing a fantastic Batman dark ride if they got the rights and wanted to. Surely with it's iconic popularity there'd also be a reasonably large fan base (like Star Wars) who'd lap this type of thing up. As I say I've heard nothing about this but just wondered whether if done right, this would be good business for Disney and possibly add a different demographic of visitor to the parks?

DarthMileZ

Seems as its Warner Bros it wouldnt suprise me if they made a deal with Universal like they did with Harry Potter World.

a "DC World" could even replace alot of the IOA rides if Disney ever wanted to build a Marvel World.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Firstly let me clarify, I haven't heard anything about this ever!!!!!!!!

However with the success of superhero movies over the years and with Disney's liking to go with Avatar and Star Wars, I was wondering whether they'd ever go the Batman or Superman route? I could imagine them doing a fantastic Batman dark ride if they got the rights and wanted to. Surely with it's iconic popularity there'd also be a reasonably large fan base (like Star Wars) who'd lap this type of thing up. As I say I've heard nothing about this but just wondered whether if done right, this would be good business for Disney and possibly add a different demographic of visitor to the parks?

Since Disney owns Marvel now, this is very unlikely.

KLinder7

It's cool to think what Disney could do with DC but like others have said no way would Marvel play nice with DC. Also, there are so many more Disney IPs they can make into attractions before they should look outside the company.

mergatroid

Original Poster
It might work at Hollywood Studios, but I thought Six Flags had the Batman/Superman theme park rights tied up.

That's exactly where I was thinking of, heaven forbid they put it in MK, AK or Epcot :eek:

Something like Batman could make a great ride if done well (like anything could you could argue) and I was thinking of a Great Movie Ride type attraction for it. You could start by going through a very seedy area of Gotham, steam coming up from beneath the streets, rain pouring down and dingy street lights flickering. You see the Wayne family stood motionless and hear "Ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight" before the Joker's animatronic steps out holding a gun. As the gun goes off the lights go off leaving you in pitch dark where you then move to the next scene. Other scenes could include on the top of the roof with the light projecting the bat signal into the night sky, the Penguin at home in the sewers, the Riddler, Catwoman in her suit (oh yes) looking down from the roof tops, Gotham asylum and it's inmates and perhaps finish off in a large scale recreation of the batcave. In each scene there's a hint of batman without seeing too much of him till the end and the big reveal..

Just a pipe dream from myself really at an age when I should know better, but none the less it could make a great ride :cool:

draybook

Based upon the criticism of the new Batman v Superman movie, then no, I hope they steer well clear

Do people actually take critics' opinions into consideration? Seriously, who actually listens to the opinions of some dorks that get paid to criticize movies? I remember reading critics saying good things about Jet Li's Hero.......I won't go into detail about how much I disagreed after watching it.

Cmdr_Crimson

The IP Licences of DC & Looney Tunes are under Time Warner & Six Flags. And since they have a good amount of themed rides named after the heroes & villians at their parks.. They'd have to get through by them first..

Last edited:

Evolution

Six Flags owns DC theme park rights so it will most likely never happen.

Disney already Big Hero 6 and The Incredibles (I know they're not the most popular superheroes, but still), both of which would be great for an attraction.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
With the right design and financial muscle and will to see the project through it possible to create an excellent attraction based on any source. Sadly WDW fail at the second and third parts and for that reason Im out.

Raineman

It would be kind of strange, Disney building attractions that are based on IPs that are the biggest competition to another major IP they own (DC vs Marvel). Maybe Disney can buy the DC theme park rights, then trade them to Uni for Marvel theme park rights. Having a Thor, Iron Man or Captain America m&g and an Avengers attraction at WDW would make this middle-aged Marvel fanboy very happy.

JIMINYCR

Sadly we'll not see either at Disney. Disney needs those kinds of thrills that other parks are bringing in. They dont want things too scary, too fast, too thrilling because it might upset somebody's tummy and theyll get negative comments. So theyll be happy with watered down rides, colorful light shows and say they are giving us what we want.

yoda_5729

I think from my standpoint, it would have been better for Disney to have gotten the rights for DC over Marvel in terms of theme park possibilities. I love both Marvel and DC so this is not a slam against either one, and despite anything that happens with the movies, both properties are very popular and successful.

It is true, Six Flags owns the rights to the characters, as DC Comics have been owned by Warner Bros since the 70s. Because of this,most of the rides at Six Flags are rollercoasters, so that's what the DC rides have showcased. However, if someone like a Universal or Disney had the rights, the possibilities can be endless for fully immersive attractions.

Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are icons on par with almost any characters that can be thrown out there, and though I understand the most recent movie is lacking, those characters bring things to the table that even many Marvel characters don't. For example, environments. Superman has Metropolis/Krypton/Smallville/Fortress of Solitude. Batman has Gotham and all of it'sdarker gritty details, and Wonder Woman (a Princess no less, we all know Disney loves those), has Paradise Island. If any company could have the Bat Signal flying above a theme park and actually make it properly work, it'd be Disney. Marvel characters because they are often in the real world setting, and often times New York, don't have much in terms of unique environments to exploit. Just build NYC. Gotham, or Metropolis or Themyscira (Paradise Island) are all things no one has ever seen in a real life environment setting. I don't forsee Six Flags ever doing that, but I hope someone would. Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman and others all have areas that could be utilized better then a rollercoaster colored the major heroes color, and named after them.

I understand this most recent movie is not going to be anything in comparison to the Marvel movie brands, but that in no way shape or form means that the DC characters are somehow unmarketable, bland, or outdated. The DC cartoons ratings often are viewed as better than the Marvel ones, it just shows that each company is capable of success in different avenues.

yoda_5729

Of the Marvel properties, most of the environments are buildings like...

Stark Tower
Avenger Mansion
X-Mansion (Danger Room)
Baxter Building
Sanctum Sanctorum
Daily Bugle
etc.

In terms of land sized regions
Asgard
Maybe Guardians of the Galaxy Themed
Wakanda
Atlantis
Savage Land

I'm probably forgetting some, but to me DC lends itself to theme park lands/attractions better as the environments are unlike anything we've seen before. Asgard and Sanctum Sanctorum would be cool, but many of Marvel's most A-list characters environments are just science labs or NYC. A building everyone connects to Spider-Man is the Daily Bugle. Other then that, he's basically NYC. With Gotham and Metropolis, those cities are not as clearly defined, and as such, imaginations can soar in designing them. Metropolis being futuristic and Gotham being dark and Gothic. Paradise Island could be heavily Greek and Roman influenced, with mythological beasts and even Doom's Doorway, if you wanted to explore that. A dark ride through Gotham, as mentioned earlier would be cool, as you could be taken to the Batcave, and all the various sites of the Bat Universe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom