Do you sacrifice anything to help pay for WDW Trips

RogueHabit

Original Poster
I'm posting this following a number of comments from friends and work mates regarding our families obsession with going to Disney every year.

Fromt the UK it is not a cheap holiday, with a 2 week summer vacation costing anything from £3,000 to £6,000 depending on hotels, etc and taking into account that we normally will NOT take the kids out of school so have to fit in with school holidays. On top of that you have spending money to consider, so it is never cheap.

Personally we (My wife and I) feel that we would rather put in the extra hours at work and not have expensive nights out, instead saving that money to pay for our trip.

Does anyone else do the same?

Mr. Toad

We try to do that every year. No overtime for me so I generally it is making cutbacks (which is bad since we like to go out to eat). It is worth it but we have been pretty bad about it lately so we will have to start being good again so we can afford to go next year.

GenerationX

Every year in December, I do our family's budget for the next year (month-by-month income and expenses), and I include our trip to WDW. Since this is a rather large expense, it reduces the amount of cash we have every month for other things. What do we give up? We have a long list of home improvement projects and we love to go to restaurants, so we cut back on those items to make room for WDW.

Someone could make the case that a Disney trip is a one-time expense for something that is "gone" once you return (as opposed to something "permanent", like a home improvement project). But the memories, pictures, videos, and family conversations about a Disney trip really give it a sense of permanence. You're not there, but you were there, you can picture it, and you can talk about it together. Well worth the expense.

SpongeScott

A lot for us depends on our income tax refund. Knowing that I will get something back, it determines how long we stay and where we stay. Any extra income from my work goes into a Disney fund automatically. I also pull out $50 a week from my paychecks and "hide" in our checking account and let that build up throughout the year. It costs a lot , but well worth it.

DisneyPhD

It comes down to there is no other place or way we would rather spend the money. When you think about how much we want something, we say "oh lets just save that money for our Disney trip." Whenever my husband picks up an exta class to teach or we earn or are given extra money we always think of it in terms of paying for our Disney vaction. Of course we were going for years when we really couldn't aford it, but had a great time and are very gald we went instead of saving the money.

There is just no better way to spend the cash, yes it is expensive, but you get so much out of it. Better then gambling, smoking or drinking your money away. (It all comes down to how you justify it. :lol: )

TheTophDaddy

Do I Ever...

You betcha...

To afford WDW trips, I only go on major vacation every two years. So, in effect, I give up vacation in an off year so I can afford to go to Disney every other year.

Partially, this is because I have expensive taste. I do Deluxe Magic, Deluxe Resort trips because I don't want to have to worry about anything while I'm down there (I live in Ohio, so it's down to me). The peace of mind this affords me is well worht the money.

Of course, sometimes I get shafted (like this year, when it looks like the Haunted Mansion will be down, and the Maelstrom already is down for my trip), but overall, I would rather do one lavish vacation every other year than do less meaningful ones every year.

TheTophDaddy

David

I have to give up going to work for a week and not being with my co-workers.

I'll make the sacrifice.

25 days to go!

wdwguru

Since we started going as a family in 1997, it has definitely become an obsession for us. We are very fortunate that we live within driving distance and can save on airfare; however, to make our previous two trips a year, we would bag lunches, have cheap dinners out (when we ate out), spend very little on Christmas gifts, spent no money on ourselves, our house, etc. to maintain our habit. Last year, we finally made a decision for me to cut my hours back to part time, so I could be there for our two children. It came at a price of a compromise, only one trip a year. We bought into the Disney Vacation Club so that we would be ensured of our beloved vacation each year. It's as close as we could come to having our cake and eating it too. I now work purely to pay for our vacation and we live on a very tight budget so that all my puny pay can go towards that! Most friends and family members thinks we are crazy. :p We probably are, but we are happy!
:) :) :)

wannabeBelle

I Am pretty lucky (I Guess?) in that I Am single so when I do go it is relatively inexpensive. The cost for my vacations generally in 1/4 of what most families spend and maybe even less so I dont tend to give up much!! Thankfully!!! Belle

KathyG/poohbear

We sacrifice to go to Disney for memories. My dad made okay money and we always went on neat trips. The biggest one was a 3 week cross country trip from NC to CA when I was 15. He had promised to take us to Disneyland the first week he got 3 weeks vacation. This trip was the trip of a lifetime...Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Disneyland, San francisco, and Yellowstone Park.

I had watched the Wonderful World of Disney on tv and saw the rides at Disneyland for years. I had waited and waited for 1974 to come so I could ride dumbo and Space MT. It was a magical trip not only did I get to visit Disneyland but I got to meet my teen idol Donny Osmond.

I don't remember what our house looked like from my childhood but the trips and fun times our family had together. That is why we emphasize taking a vacation our son will like. Sappy but true.

My dad passed away from Alzheimers at 60 years of age and so right or wrong I have the attitude of there is no guarantee of tomorrow so we should have fun while we can!!!!!! I won't have the nicest house or the largest stock portfolio but we have fun as a family

emmagata

Not really.

My wife and I are (Dual Income No Kids) and we usually allow $3000 a year for our "big" vacation which more than covers a trip to WDW. We also have a 25ft travel trailer which we use a few times throughout the year for shorter vacations.

cymbaldiva

Do I sacrifice anything? :lol: It's more like everything DH & I can possibly think of!

Still we haven't been in almost 2 years....guess we need to figure out how to do w/o food and electricity and such!! :D

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
My grandfather always used to say " yer a lang time deed!!" and its something ive always tried to remember. Thats why my home improvements progress at a snails pace, we dont drive flash cars, and dont have expensive clothing habits. However we do have a damn fine time at WDW. The kids are not kids very long, and its something we can share. After all the house will still be there long after im gone!!

tybroid59

I think I am like most we dont give priority to our house...holidays come first . My house is a box which I keep my stuff in thats all it is to me .

This was made all the more important to me just lately my sister in law died.She was 42 and had 2 children ages 10 and 13 ..........3 months befor she died she took them to WDW . We had planned a joint trip but we couldnt manage it so quickley.

Both the children never ever stop talking about it to us and in the last few weeks it has meant we talk about Sue ( sister in llaw )
every day . Those memories will be with those children for ever and ever.

Sorry to drift a bit but id sacrifice anything for our holidays with the children ......the car , the garage door , the sofa, lol they all need attention but not until after the Hols:lol:

Oh and my bank account need drastic help .........:(

MKCustodial

I should make some sacrifices, specially as it's so expensive for us to go, but I just love buying stuff! :brick: :brick: Everytime I say I'm gonna start saving a new DVD comes out... :rolleyes:

CAPTAIN HOOK

We were (until last Tuesday) a one income family. That has meant me working all the overtime I can get my hands on to afford WDW holidays - at best every other year. :cry:

But now, the wife has qualified from all her studying and has a well paid job - the sacrifices are virtually over and..............

Look Out Disney, we'll be there more often :sohappy: :sohappy:

Mr. Toad

Originally posted by MKCustodial
I should make some sacrifices, specially as it's so expensive for us to go, but I just love buying stuff! :brick: :brick: Everytime I say I'm gonna start saving a new DVD comes out... :rolleyes:

I know what you mean, my DVD want list gets bigger each week. I really should start renting some of them instead of buying them.

My wife just decided this year to go back to school full time so it will be interesting to see how this effects our vacationing. At least next year we are supposed to go with my parents and stay at their DVC property (probably BC Villas). But we still need to save for the air fare, pet boarding, food, park tickets, etc...

Lilo

This year we are going twice. We went in February and now we are going in November. I sacrificed a trip alone with my husband so we could go with our son to WDW. But that's o.k. because occasionally we sneak away for one night to Atlantic City (only when we get a comp room) and that's enough for us. We both work and we cut back on presents to each other for birthdays and holidays - but it's well worth it, isn't it?

Have a great trip and don't sweat the small stuff.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom