Do you care about Epcot's 25th?

Should Disney celebrate Epcot's 25th?

• Yes.

Votes: 243 89.3%
  • No.

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Undecided/Don't care about the matter either way.

Votes: 22 8.1%

• Total voters

Dream Finder

A Celebration is WELL DESERVED!

I really think that a celebration is in order. The fact that the park has survived despite a recent lack of vision is amazing. I personally love the park. How can you ignore a 25th anniversary. I have seen year long parades for much less important issue. Anyone remember the Party Gras celebration?

Scar Junior

You don't do a "funeral" for the person who has died. You do it for the people that got left behind for closure and to mourn.

You also don't do a celebration of a park's anniversary for the park. That's ridiculous. You do it for the fans and people who have fond memories of that park. By the same token, you could argue that celebrating Disneyland's 50th is also meaningless, because Disneyland has no feelings. You do it for the fans and those who hold dear the memories they have there.

Besides, what economic drawbacks can there be for having even some form of a celebration? I would think it would only draw even MORE people with that kind of publicity. It obviously worked for Disneyland!

I'd say that those two factors ARE the reality based from what we have observed during the past few years. What reality did you based your attack on me?

Zz.

More importantly, where do you base your comments?

First, blaming Brad Rex for not having a marketing promotion is ridiculous. Why should he be fired? How much do you actually know about the situation before you open your mouth?

Additionally, your comments are about as dangerous as a spork. You have no bargaining chips, thus you will continue to spend your money and have fun and you'll like it. And you'll get to tell friends and family about your trip. You'll have your pictures and save your park maps and the only thing different is the name of the marketing promotion. It's not like youre going to stop going to Epcot.

Besides, how do you know they won't recognize the anniversary over a weekend or on the actual date? Chances are you won't be there anyway...

dxwwf3

He did say there was no BIG celebration planned. Contrary to some who want to hear what they want to hear to prove their cause, most people on here aren't calling for a BIG celebration. I'm not giving up hope yet.

pheneix

Considering that the other three park VPs and their bosses are really quite pathetic and have no idea how to control what they have I think its probably a bad idea to talk trash about the one guy who actually does his job.

If you wanna really rag on an executive who neglected a theme park and used her position to propel herself upward in the company, go talk trash about Erin Wallace. You can thank her for the reign of terror that left the Magic Kingdom in ruins.

lpet11984

He did say there was no BIG celebration planned. Contrary to some who want to hear what they want to hear to prove their cause, most people on here aren't calling for a BIG celebration. I'm not giving up hope yet.

I'm with you. I'm still holding out for some kind of merchandice, banners on the lightpoles, *something*. Here's hoping!

ZapperZ

Besides, how do you know they won't recognize the anniversary over a weekend or on the actual date? Chances are you won't be there anyway...

Actually, chances are that I will be there, because I wrote this already earlier in this very thread:

ZapperZ said:
Coming back to the original question, I've decided that I will be delaying one of my regular trips to Epcot this year to coincide with Epcot's anniversary. This is without having any information from Disney if they're going to be doing anything special on that day. I'm guessing that the very least, they'll be releasing commemorative pins, but I sincerely hope they'll do something more. Either way, I plan on being there this year on that date.

So yes, the bottom line is, I do care about Epcot's 25th, and I hope Disney does

Have a nice day! :wave:

Zz.

PintoColvig

Sorry. Got to this thread late and I haven't read the other responses. But here is a thought...
Could it be that the non-celebration of this important milestone comes from Disney's lack of desire to recall how much Epcot has changed from its original conception or how different it now is from when it first opened?

ZapperZ

Sorry. Got to this thread late and I haven't read the other responses. But here is a thought...
Could it be that the non-celebration of this important milestone comes from Disney's lack of desire to recall how much Epcot has changed from its original conception or how different it now is from when it first opened?

That certainly is a possibility. However, if that is true, it would certainly be sad. It brings to my mind expecting parents who are highly wishing for a baby of a certain gender, and getting disappointed when they get another.

I can see how people who are well-versed in Walt's vision of what Epcot should have been would look at Epcot now as a "child" that didn't grow up with all their expectations. I, on the other hand, look at it and judge it for what it is now. The fact that it dares to be different in many aspects from what a typical theme park, in my view, is to be commended. Until the existence of Animal Kingdom, Epcot is the only location in all of Disney's empire that consistently produce actual scholarly research work. Other than SeaWorld, I can't think of any other theme parks that consistently produce such a thing. Such an effort do not draw huge crowds, make splashy headlines, or make them a must-visit destination for many people. Yet, they continue to do this, and this is one of the things I admire about it.

So for what it is and what they are accomplishing, I can't believe that some amount of celebration to mark such a milestone is not warranted.

Zz.

speck76

More importantly, where do you base your comments?

First, blaming Brad Rex for not having a marketing promotion is ridiculous. Why should he be fired? How much do you actually know about the situation before you open your mouth?

Additionally, your comments are about as dangerous as a spork. You have no bargaining chips, thus you will continue to spend your money and have fun and you'll like it. And you'll get to tell friends and family about your trip. You'll have your pictures and save your park maps and the only thing different is the name of the marketing promotion. It's not like youre going to stop going to Epcot.

great post!

speck76

I agree... I highly doubt it's his call in any way... I don't like the call, but it seems he doesn't have the clout to have made it...

Being the VP of Epcot.....he probably has some level of input....but of ALL of the things that they could do with Epcot (and knowing that there actually is a budget that needs to be followed since money is not in endless supply) I highly doubt that anyone in a position of authority would ever agree that spending money on the anniversary of Epcot would be the best use for the funds given...

speck76

or perhaps that the original EPCOT Center has had zero relevance for about 10 years now.....

Perhaps people should note that it is the 25 anniversary of EPCOT Center.....not of Epcot......for it is only approaching 10 years old....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom