Do true 'Disney' people stay at the Grand Floridian?

RiversideBunny

Hi.
Do people who really love WDW and Disney form the majority of guests who stay at the Grand Floridian hotel?

From comments and from some short visits, the impression is that the GF hosts mainly guests for whom being at WDW is secondary. They are there for a company meeting or for business in Orlando but not primarily because they are WDW fans.

Is this a correct impression?
Thanks.
:king:

chaggy102

Hi.
Do people who really love WDW and Disney form the majority of guests who stay at the Grand Floridian hotel?

From comments and from some short visits, the impression is that the GF hosts mainly guests for whom being at WDW is secondary. They are there for a company meeting or for business in Orlando but not primarily because they are WDW fans.

Is this a correct impression?
Thanks.
:king:

I could be wrong but I have never experiened thsi when i've stayed at the GF...I know this happens at the Swan and Dolphin but those hotels are designed for that purpose, I'll also be interesting to hear if anybody has experienced what you mentioned...

~chag

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
While you are right that GF does regularly host higher end conferences and meetings, there are more than enough Disney affectionato's to keep the place in the right mood. As was said, some of the same can be said for Swan, Dolphin and Coronado Springs (more mainstream conferences).
I don't ever feel any less magic when I'm there either staying or visiting.

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

I think you run that risk at any of the Disney resorts that have a conference center attached during the time of a big conference.

I had that kind of experience the one time I stayed at Coronado Springs. It was during the time of a large public safety or fire department conference. The majority of the people we saw at the food court, near the pools, or just walking through the resort were there for the conference, not for a Disney vacation.

So depending on conference schedules you could experience that kind of mix of guests at GF, Contemporary, Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach, or Coronado Springs.

Upvote 0

jimjjr

I would definitely dispute this suggestion. While I have not visited WDW as often as I would like, I am soon to be making my 5th trip there in 3 1/2 years. I have stayed 3 times at Swan/Dolphin and 1 time at GF and will be staying later this week and next week at WL. I loved the GF. The best things about it are the lovely ambience and the LOCATION! It is very convenient to MK, the transportation is very efficient, it is close to other resorts for dining pleasure and the rooms are nice, if a little worn. One of my favorite times last year was sitting outside of the GF and watching Wishes while the music was piped in. No crowds, just the view and experience and a drink! Wonderful. If given the chance and budget to stay there again, I'll do it.

Upvote 0

durangojim

If being at WDW was secondary to me, I wouldn't stay at the GF, I'd stay at the four seasons. Despite the large amount of conventioners I think most people who are staying at the GF are there to be close to the MK and be in the magic of WDW.

Upvote 0

LowesChevy

We stayed at the GF many times when I was little and eat at the restaurants every year and never really notice a lack of family vacationers. We went down last year for the baseball tradeshow at the Swan in December and saw many businessmen and profesionals there. I can say that there are probably a percentage of people that when they do come for a trade show are not interested in going to the parks, but bring their families down so they can go. When there is a large convention like that I could see where you would feel that people are there for business not for pleasure. They are missing out by going to Disney World and not experiencing the parks and activities. I think the majority of us think it is just plain insanity:lol: .

Upvote 0

eroyee

:wave: We are "disney people" and have never stayed at the GF because of the prices, but have visited and we didnt feel comfortable at all there. seemed too high class for us. we just adore POR and WL and would much rather stay there for the atmosphere. Just our opinion...........

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

The family and I have never stayed at the GF, but that's not to say that we may never do it. Budget for one keeps us from there, but we have eaten at 1900 Park Fare, and have never seen any groups of convetioner's there, have seen many families though. I think when the sons are older and the DW and I can take off for another short visit we just might stay there, but for now DVC is a way to get the big stuff without the big payout. 51 days and counting..... I CAN"T WAIT!!!! :D :sohappy: :D :sohappy:

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

:wave: We are "disney people" and have never stayed at the GF because of the prices, but have visited and we didn't feel comfortable at all there. seemed too high class for us. we just adore POR and WL and would much rather stay there for the atmosphere. Just our opinion...........

This is DH and my thoughts/feelings as well. We have stayed at Swan and Dolphin since DH had a conference to attend there.

Upvote 0

Lauriebar

True Disney People come in all sizes and shapes as well as socio-economic classes. It seems presumptuous for anyone to feel like they know something about someone just by walking past them in a hotel lobby. Just because GF has a more subdued feel to it doesn't mean that it isn't full of people who love to put on their Goofy hats and parade around the MK.

The GF is not everyone's cup of tea but, neither is All-Star Sports. If I were to say that the value resorts make me uncomfortable because of their atmosphere then I would more that likely be flamed for being snobby. I have personally experienced many more conventioneers at Coronado Springs than at GF.

I guess my point is that Disney has done a good job of providing accomodations and experiences for all us "Disney People" and it is our great priveledge to be able to choose which one or ones is right for us.

Upvote 0

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
We stay at the GF every time we go, in fact I am typing this in a GF room right now. (Pics of the remodled rooms will be up when I get home). We are Disney fans to the extreme, and we wouldn't stay anywhere else. Although we have (more than) our share of conventioners who tend to be loud and not very Disney-like staying close to us, there are still plenty of people who are here for Disney and nothing else. We can watch Wishes from our balcony and can be at the MK in a matter of a few minutes. That makes it worth it for us.

Upvote 0

Philo

I think people who really love WDW would try and stay at all the hotels over time so I don't think thats true. However, those who know disneyworld are aware of the benefits of the GF (being close to the MK etc) more so than your casual holiday maker.

Upvote 0

Teddy1

Are the rooms being remodeled at the Grand Floridian. If so when will most be done? Are they doing particular sections? I must have missed something/

Upvote 0

scole3388

True Disney People come in all sizes and shapes as well as socio-economic classes. It seems presumptuous for anyone to feel like they know something about someone just by walking past them in a hotel lobby. Just because GF has a more subdued feel to it doesn't mean that it isn't full of people who love to put on their Goofy hats and parade around the MK.

The GF is not everyone's cup of tea but, neither is All-Star Sports. If I were to say that the value resorts make me uncomfortable because of their atmosphere then I would more that likely be flamed for being snobby. I have personally experienced many more conventioneers at Coronado Springs than at GF.

I guess my point is that Disney has done a good job of providing accomodations and experiences for all us "Disney People" and it is our great priveledge to be able to choose which one or ones is right for us.

Very well said!

Upvote 0

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Are the rooms being remodeled at the Grand Floridian. If so when will most be done? Are they doing particular sections? I must have missed something/

They are going by building. Building 9 just got done and has guests. I think there are one or two other buildings down right now, and a few still to go.

Upvote 0

Lindsy1052

Very well said!

Disney resorts are priced for all different family economics. All of the resorts including the value resorts are better than most off property. As to the GF, yes it is expensive, and if it fits your pocket book there is not a better resort to stay at. Little bit on inside information....G R A N D stands for "Guest Requests Are Never Denied"....

Upvote 0

raugust

Could not have said it better!

I whole heartedly echo the above. I, along with my wife, daughter, her husband and my two grand daughters, will be staying at the GF from 12-8 to 12-15 of this year. We chose that resort for its holiday ambiance and the location to the MK. Also we have been to WDW on several occasions and have stayed at various on and off site resorts. While my wife and I did stay at the GF during our 25th, (the best vacation ever, BTW) we can assure you, that we enjoyed the world no matter which resort or hotel that we stayed at. We are absolutely WDW people. Heck, I would live on the MK main street if I could :)

Upvote 0

Kriszee1

We've never stayed there because of budget constraints and we probably never will, because we felt so out of place there. To us at least, it seemed to "uppity". If I am going deluxe, I'll go with the Poly.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom