"Do not disturb" signs being removed from resort rooms

BigThunderMatt

I always loved when a guest wanted to talk to me and started by saying "This has been happening the last seven days". Um what happened to day one or two? If no one in management knows there is a problem, then they don't get a chance to fix it.

Same. Love how people try to do this at check out. It's like, if you're digging for monetary compensation or a free stay, try to at least be a little more original about it. If this happened on night one and you couldn't be bothered to tell anyone then but now that you're leaving you're expecting me to fix the issue all I'm gonna give you is a song played on the world's smallest violin.

BigThunderMatt

For the benefit of those who haven't read the whole thread...
www.addalock.com
View attachment 255724
Easy to use, relatively inexpensive, and it will keep management, mousekeeping, maintenance and the pizza guy out while you prepare to open the door...

As has been stated numerous times, if the deadbolt is on and the latch is down a housekeeper, maintenance, and the pizza guy can't open the door. Management still can, but if management is coming to your room from the first then you've got bigger problems to deal with.

I am Timmy

Same. Love how people try to do this at check out. It's like, if you're digging for monetary compensation or a free stay, try to at least be a little more original about it. If this happened on night one and you couldn't be bothered to tell anyone then but now that you're leaving you're expecting me to fix the issue all I'm gonna give you is a song played on the world's smallest violin.
I hope you meant people should come in right away with their issue, and not that their issues should be more original. Although, seeing you whip out a tiny violin would be hilarious.

Starlight67

I just got back two days ago from Port Orleans French Quarter. I was sick:mad: the first two days and was in room sleeping with room occupied sign on door. I heard some knocking and ignored it, figuring it was just housekeeping or something. I was surprised when a Disney staffer opened the door--and I think he was surprised to see me...

He explained that he had to do a quick safety check and provided me a card explaining what he was doing. It seemed a little sketchy to me as I was not familiar with this new process, but took five seconds so whatever. Second day, same thing, but this time I get up and answered the door for 'Safety Man'. I asked him what the deal was. He explained that since Las Vegas they have to check every resort room on property every single day.

I'm fine with the whole thing just wish the front desk gave guests a heads up at check in. Though if you look at the fine print on the new 'Room Occupied' signs it basically says, 'whatever but we can enter your room anytime anyway.' I kind of get the whole thing, I mean after Las Vegas there was some much speculation about how the 'hotel could have done more'. Also, my experience this time was that bag check was way more intense and time consuming than it was three years ago when I was there. Then it just seemed like a cursory quick check. This time it was open every pocket, unzip every zipper on the backpack type check. Also on the day we were at Magic Kingdom, everyone guest had to go through metal detector. At Hollywood Studios they seemed to be just selecting every tenth person or so.

Maybe they are just trying to step up security in general. I do think the front desk alerting guests would be helpful though.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I just got back two days ago from Port Orleans French Quarter. I was sick:mad: the first two days and was in room sleeping with room occupied sign on door. I heard some knocking and ignored it, figuring it was just housekeeping or something. I was surprised when a Disney staffer opened the door--and I think he was surprised to see me...

He explained that he had to do a quick safety check and provided me a card explaining what he was doing. It seemed a little sketchy to me as I was not familiar with this new process, but took five seconds so whatever. Second day, same thing, but this time I get up and answered the door for 'Safety Man'. I asked him what the deal was. He explained that since Las Vegas they have to check every resort room on property every single day.

I'm fine with the whole thing just wish the front desk gave guests a heads up at check in. Though if you look at the fine print on the new 'Room Occupied' signs it basically says, 'whatever but we can enter your room anytime anyway.' I kind of get the whole thing, I mean after Las Vegas there was some much speculation about how the 'hotel could have done more'. Also, my experience this time was that bag check was way more intense and time consuming than it was three years ago when I was there. Then it just seemed like a cursory quick check. This time it was open every pocket, unzip every zipper on the backpack type check. Also on the day we were at Magic Kingdom, everyone guest had to go through metal detector. At Hollywood Studios they seemed to be just selecting every tenth person or so.

Maybe they are just trying to step up security in general. I do think the front desk alerting guests would be helpful though.

This next level of security theater is so stupid, and it's really not going to prevent anything bad from happening. They'll just leave their weapons in the trunk of their car until it's time to use them.

Starlight67

This next level of security theater is so stupid, and it's really not going to prevent anything bad from happening. They'll just leave their weapons in the trunk of their car until it's time to use them.
Yup. I totally get your point here about it being 'security theater', and actually largely agree with that line of thinking. Though I think a lot of the security/safety stuff put in place in the average American workplace is the same--including all those mandatory trainings. Still, it is all an attempt at being proactive (at least). As opposed to the opposite action which for any company (including Disney) is to just throw up their hands and be like, 'well whatever, there's nothing we can do anyway....'

Short of some sort of brain scanning technology that would ferret out all people with bad motivations from setting foot on property--all company really CAN do is to learn from experience, go from there, and use what they can to make an attempt to thwart the bad guys. My thought is that room checks at this point may be a knee-jerk reaction and may not be a permanent thing. But obviously for now they felt this 'security theateresque' step has enough worth to justify the added expense of employees making these checks.

Lord Pheonix

was just on the news thismorning, and a lightbulb clicked. resorts like disney, or more importantly, las vegas hotels, are doing this thx to the jackass that shotup those people during that festival. he had a do not disturb sign on the door for a while so noone would enter and discover him cutting out the ghlass, setting up his guns, ect, ect. thx to the time granted by placeing that sign on his door, he was never aught before he could kill all those people. so now the large high profile places are ditching them in hopes of stemming another LV event.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yup. I totally get your point here about it being 'security theater', and actually largely agree with that line of thinking. Though I think a lot of the security/safety stuff put in place in the average American workplace is the same--including all those mandatory trainings. Still, it is all an attempt at being proactive (at least). As opposed to the opposite action which for any company (including Disney) is to just throw up their hands and be like, 'well whatever, there's nothing we can do anyway....'

Short of some sort of brain scanning technology that would ferret out all people with bad motivations from setting foot on property--all company really CAN do is to learn from experience, go from there, and use what they can to make an attempt to thwart the bad guys. My thought is that room checks at this point may be a knee-jerk reaction and may not be a permanent thing. But obviously for now they felt this 'security theateresque' step has enough worth to justify the added expense of employees making these checks.

They may as well have TSA inspecting your vehicle and your bags on check in. While also awful and intrusive, it would actually help prevent an attack more than simply peeking through everyone's rooms every day.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
As has been stated numerous times, if the deadbolt is on and the latch is down a housekeeper, maintenance, and the pizza guy can't open the door. Management still can, but if management is coming to your room from the first then you've got bigger problems to deal with.
I'm guessing management won't be able to defeat the Addalock without a well-placed kick... or sledgehammer.

Starlight67

Today, I saw a report on CBS This Morning about the new door signs at WDW

Thanks for sharing. Signs and room check process were in use at Port Orleans last week as well. It does seems like those 'in development' luggage scanners for hotels will be much more useful in preventing another horrible tragedy than the room checks. From this article, it sounds like the good old 'Do Not Disturb' signs at hotels are going to be retired and relegated to the museum of American History....

I am Timmy

That's it. My motel room is no longer my motel room. Now, it shall be known as my naked room. And whenever I am not in the parks, I will be in my room naked, and then they can do their safety checks with ease knowing I am not packing.

jaklgreen

Did you all see that the crazy guy who shot up Vegas had room service and housekeeping come into his room and he STILL was able to kill all of those people. So I say this again. They can go into all of the rooms every day and still not stop anything. This is just an invasion of people's privacy and it won't do a bit of good.

BigThunderMatt

I'm guessing management won't be able to defeat the Addalock without a well-placed kick... or sledgehammer.

I'm also guessing the guest that uses it would be quickly evicted off premises because using a device like that would be reasonable cause to assume something is going on in the room.

tk924

Original Poster
Today, I saw a report on CBS This Morning about the new door signs at WDW

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/las-vegas-shooting-hotels-revise-room-security-measures/

Quote from the link above...
"There were numerous interactions with Stephen Paddock every day at the resort, including a room service delivery and a call with housekeeping on October 1, all of which were normal in nature,"...

So, this already proves that these new measures are not about guest safety. Disney already knows exactly where you are on property with the magic bands anyway.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
The fact that they're on private property and agreed to the terms and conditions of staying at the resort, including that Disney reserves the right to enter the room at any time for any reason, and that such an action in direct opposition to that can be grounds for eviction from the property at the discretion of the owners.

Facts? What facts? You're simply portraying your own feelings as fact without evidence.

Where exactly in the terms and conditions that you agree to when you reserve or check into a room does it state that this lock cannot be used?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom