Do Mickey and Minnie already have a new home?

drew81

I love that Fantasyland is taking over the what-should-have-been-temporary Toontown Faire (which reeeally doesn't match up to its West coast equivalent), and think its a wise choice moving the classic character meet and greet point to the Exhibition Hall, but there is one thing I think is a shame - if Mickey is doing meet and greets inside the Exhibition Hall, then he won't be able to be out strolling Town Square, which is one of those iconic sights that will be unfortunate to lose.

I'm gonna presume they'll close it during the parades with Mickey in (because he obviously can't be in two places at once!). I also have a question (I'm sure someone will know the answer) - do they close the Mickey meet and greet when the parades on atm? I know they used to do it at Disneyland, but I'm not sure about the Magic Kingdom?

Mickey doesn't walk around in Town Square. The only time he would be out walking in Town Square would be after the opening show as he exits over by the Expo Hall.

Biff215

While there certainly is space between Main Street and TL, I can't see them spending the money to convert that backstage area into a suitable area for the Toontown houses. Especially with all of the money that is being spent to turn TT into the new FL.

I really wish they could find a way to keep the TT concept at MK, only better the next time around. Having Mickey's house at DHS or even DD just doesn't do it for me. I'm just glad my daughter is too young to realize that suddenly Mickey and Minnie were given notices that their leases were up and no longer had suitable housing other than the back of a Main Street building. :lol:

drew81

Mickey doesn't do Town Square meet & greets?? I did not know that, guess I'm too used to Disneyland. Thanks for correcting me!

Yeah he doesn't. He used to be out there some but that was several years ago when Dream Along with Mickey wasn't playing at the castle stage.

dznygirl64

Sadly mickey and minnies houses will be destroyed not moved.Unless they where built to be portable.I personally dont think all the Fantasyland updates will ever happen anyway so Mickey and Minnies homes may not be going anywhere.

cdunbar

Original Poster
Sadly mickey and minnies houses will be destroyed not moved.Unless they where built to be portable.I personally dont think all the Fantasyland updates will ever happen anyway so Mickey and Minnies homes may not be going anywhere.
Do you have information makes leads you to believe that, I'm just curious honestly?:wave:

dznygirl64

No I dont,just personal opinion about Disney.Disney loves to make announcements and show people concepts of things to come then change it or never build it.Just my opinion but I thing a lot of the announcement about Fantasyland was intended to add excitement at D23.

bgraham34

I would love to see more of the characters on Main Street. That is one thing I really like about Disneyland. The characters are all over Main Street.

palmickey420

yeah but its better when the characters r randomly walking around and maybe have a CM in tourist clothes to keep an eye on the character but w/o letting guests knowthey were there so that they would think the character was walking around on their own

redkoala245

It's going to be weird to see Mickey and Minnie not at their homes in Toontown in MK after the expansion.
Now there are going to be so many characters on Main Street!!
I'm happy they are keeping Barnstormer!! :)

saxamoophone

They will not be relocted anywhere in MK because there is no room for them.

But who knows maybe they will save them and move them to DHS :shrug:

newtoontown.JPG

Lots of room (well, enough anyways). Keep in mind the Tomorrowland Theater is gone. The "Noodle Station" could also be removed (since it's closed 99% of hte year). I'm thinking a nice fancy resturant that overlooks the Castle could make some decent $$$.

If they *really* need the parking, they could always build Mini-Toontown ontop of the lot (kind of like what Citywalk does).

Anyways, just saying it's an option. All we are really talking about is some facades and new areas to sell people stuff, and an empty lot doesn't make disney a dime.

Walt 1901

I like that idea of having a street branch off of main street. It would also give access to tl and a way to avoid the conjestion before the parades.

Figment632

newtoontown.JPG

Lots of room (well, enough anyways). Keep in mind the Tomorrowland Theater is gone. The "Noodle Station" could also be removed (since it's closed 99% of hte year). I'm thinking a nice fancy resturant that overlooks the Castle could make some decent $$$.

If they *really* need the parking, they could always build Mini-Toontown ontop of the lot (kind of like what Citywalk does).

Anyways, just saying it's an option. All we are really talking about is some facades and new areas to sell people stuff, and an empty lot doesn't make disney a dime.

Hey Id sign up for this but they knocked the TL theater down to make a CM parking lot, because there was a lack of parking. This parking might be needed.

I think a new Toon Town should be built behind the new FL expansion.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=28.4227311&lon=-81.5814686&z=17&l=0&m=b

The area where the cross hairs is over.

btuftee

newtoontown.JPG

That plan doesn't look feasible - for starters, you're putting in as much retail space as already exists in the massive Emporium complex on the west side of Main Street. While I know Disney loves to sell merchandise, it still costs money to build retail stores and staff them. You've already got the Emporium a stone's throw away.

I have my doubts that much of anything in Toontown is capable of being disassembled and moved, the place was built in a hurry as a temporary land, save for the Barnstormer. Certainly, a lot of the props and interior furnishings would be salvaged, but I don't know about the house itself. For starters, if you wanted to pick up the house as a single unit and move it (which is not terribly uncommon in the real world), you'd still need a path to get it moved to its new location. The road leading into the east Main Street parking lot is fairly narrow and cuts under the railroad, so there's no good way to move it as a single structure. Carefully cutting the house into pieces and moving it would probably be about as hard as building a new house. Plus, as others have pointed out, you lose a lot of close and convenient parking. Digging down to build a parking ramp at the Utilidor level, and rebuilding over the parking lot sounds like a massive expense to me. You could do a lot of things at WDW with that kind of cash, I'd think.

I do agree that it seems strange to create all of these nice meet & greets in the new Fantasyland, but Mickey and Minnie lose their freestanding houses. My only hope is that if they do put them in the Exposition Hall, they do a nice job of themeing the interior.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom