DL newbie with some questions!!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Hey guys! I need some help from the DL vets out there!! My mother, my sister and I are planning our very first DL trip for the spring. We are aiming for April 26-May 1. We are flying into LAX as it is MUCH cheaper for us than flying into SNA. We are staying at the Sheraton Park Hotel on S Harbor so it's close by DL. Can anyone recommend a good shutle to use to get back and forth from LAX? We'd like to avoid renting a car if possible.

Second, we will have 4 full days to explore the parks. How would you break this up? We thought of doing 2 full days at each park with no park hopper. Is CA worth 2 full days? Or should we invest in the PH option. On our arrival day, we're landing around 1:45pm. We've gone back and forth about adding a 5th day and going that evening or just going to DTD to soak in the atmosphere there and have dinner at Steakhouse 55. Would you add the additional day and hit the parks?

I'm sure I will have MANY more questions. It's strange going form WDW, where I know the parks like the back of my hand to DL, where I know nothing lol

Figments Friend

-

Hi there !
I am also a long time WDW vet...who recently returned from my 3rd visit to DL last month.
I also flew into LAX this time around..so can offer some advice to possibly help you out.

I can suggest a shuttle service that worked well for me - the Disneyland Express run by Southern California Gray Line :

http://www.graylineanaheim.com/airport_info.cfm

If you are familiar with WDWs 'Magical Express', please note that the DL Express is NOT the same.
This is a service run independent of Disney, much like any other bus line of shuttle service.

For about $25 to $30 you can take them from LAX to your hotel and back.
No need to reserve before you arrive...you can get a bus curbside at LAX. Prepare to wait for up to 40 minutes however if you arrive during their non-peak transportation times.
For returning to the airport, you must call ahead and arrange a pick up from your hotel one day in advance.
Your hotel can do this for you, or you can call yourself.

As far as the number of days, i also stayed for four days...five actually, but only 4 in the Parks.
4 days will give you PLENTY of time to do and see everything you wish. It will also allow you the all-important 'relaxing pace' where you can savor the atmosphere and not have to rush from one attraction to the next.
I found that four days is the perfect length.

I did the Park Hopper option, but in the end it turned out i did not really need it.
I had used it in the past, but previously i was only in town for a day or two and it came in handy.
For the amount of time i was there this time, it was not needed and i considered it a non-essential.
In 4 days time i was able to do everything i was interested in accomplishing with time to spare.
It was perfect.

For a WDW vet, DL is a very different but equally rewarding experience.
There is much less 'hustle' and the touring atmosphere is much more relaxed.
With everything so close together, transportation is not needed at all once on site.
Many talk about the 'smaller size'...as if this is a downside, but DL has a charm all it's own that cannot be matched at WDW's MK.
DCA is like a DHS/modern day EPCOT in some respects...

Hope this helps....and feel free to ask more questions.

:)

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
-

Hi there !
I am also a long time WDW vet...who recently returned from my 3rd visit to DL last month.
I also flew into LAX this time around..so can offer some advice to possibly help you out.

I can suggest a shuttle service that worked well for me - the Disneyland Express run by Southern California Gray Line :

http://www.graylineanaheim.com/airport_info.cfm

If you are familiar with WDWs 'Magical Express', please note that the DL Express is NOT the same.
This is a service run independent of Disney, much like any other bus line of shuttle service.

For about $25 to $30 you can take them from LAX to your hotel and back.
No need to reserve before you arrive...you can get a bus curbside at LAX. Prepare to wait for up to 40 minutes however if you arrive during their non-peak transportation times.
For returning to the airport, you must call ahead and arrange a pick up from your hotel one day in advance.
Your hotel can do this for you, or you can call yourself.

As far as the number of days, i also stayed for four days...five actually, but only 4 in the Parks.
4 days will give you PLENTY of time to do and see everything you wish. It will also allow you the all-important 'relaxing pace' where you can savor the atmosphere and not have to rush from one attraction to the next.
I found that four days is the perfect length.

I did the Park Hopper option, but in the end it turned out i did not really need it.
I had used it in the past, but previously i was only in town for a day or two and it came in handy.
For the amount of time i was there this time, it was not needed and i considered it a non-essential.
In 4 days time i was able to do everything i was interested in accomplishing with time to spare.
It was perfect.

For a WDW vet, DL is a very different but equally rewarding experience.
There is much less 'hustle' and the touring atmosphere is much more relaxed.
With everything so close together, transportation is not needed at all once on site.
Many talk about the 'smaller size'...as if this is a downside, but DL has a charm all it's own that cannot be matched at WDW's MK.
DCA is like a DHS/modern day EPCOT in some respects...

Hope this helps....and feel free to ask more questions.

Thank you so much! VERY helpful!! I am actually looking forward to the smaller size of DL. While this will be our first trip so naturally, we will want to do EVERYTHING, we also want to be able to enjoy everything at a slower pace. We've recently begun slowing down at WDW and found it much more enjoyable than running to this ride and that show and going all over the place!

Have you ever visited in late April / early May? I'm wondering how the weather will be. know it's nothing like central Florida!

Figments Friend

I have visited during the Summer months at DL, and this past September.
At all times the CA weather was fantastic...and a far better situation heat-wise compared to what you are familiar with in FL. It should be perfect.
The humidity is much lower..and fog/haze in the morning is common.

I am also looking into returning in early/mid May and i have been told that the weather is beautiful.
Sunny and mild, mid 70s, but not a 'hot' 70s like in FL.
It really is nice not having to deal with the swamplands humidity!
Yet another reason DL has really won me over.

The 4 days you are planning on being at DL should give you the touring vibe you are looking for.
You will definitely be able to do pretty much everything you could possibly want to do within the two Parks in that time frame, and then some.
Within two days you should already have most of the attractions you wish to experience under your belt.

I would spend two days exploring DL alone, and then spend a third day over at DCA. For your final day, choose which Park you would like to experience again, or finish up whatever you may not have had a chance to see/do yet.

wild01ride

I have heard a lot of back and forth about the Park Hopper (I'm sure @raven24 will chime in with some good advice, as usual! :))...
In my opinion, the small size of DLR is all the more reason to get the Park Hopper. You can literally go from Frontierland at DL to Paradise Pier at DCA as quickly or more quickly than getting from Spaceship Earth to the American Pavilion at Epcot.
Of course, you can absolutely save money by not getting the Park Hopper, but for me, the beauty of saying "hey, it's gotten a little crowded in DL and Pirates is down...I could go for just sauntering over to Paradise Pier for a cold beer in one of those cool fluorescent yellow cups and watching the world go by for a half hour or so..." Not to mention, you can choose on the fly what nighttime entertainment or combination of nighttime entertainment you want to enjoy for the night.
Also, I know that a lot of people want to avoid renting a car and would prefer to not drive in L.A. area traffic (I don't blame you at all...I do a lot of driving as part of my job in a variety of conditions and L.A. traffic can be among the craziest!). Nevertheless, when you are in Anaheim, you are SO close to the Pacific, especially Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Seal Beach, etc., etc. I'm not sure if the poster above's quote for the shuttle was $25-$30/person - if so, that puts you right in the ballpark of a Ford Focus or something similar for 4 or so days. Nevertheless, the flexibility of the car is well worth it and the fact that you can dedicate most of your time to DLR and still take, say, two hours away to run over to Huntington Beach (Duke's! ;)) for a great lunch on the beach is well worth it!
Whatever you do, enjoy the heck out of Disneyland! I am a LONG time WDW'er but Disneyland has become my guilty pleasure. It's not the same kind of place for a week like WDW, but it's such a nice break away from the norm to enjoy for a handful of days.
Just be careful...I've read a lot of your TR's about your dedication to WDW...going to DLR can be dangerous...it's turned many a dedicated WDW'er to stray from their WDW love! ;) LOL!!!!
Happy planning!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Get the parkhopper at DLC. At WDW I'd call it "optional"...at DLC, it makes a huge difference. You can hop over and get a FP for say, the Racers, then go over to DL and ride a few rides while you wait. HUGE difference than how it works at WDW.

Tinkerfan4ever

We just experienced our first DL trip in Aug. We enjoyed it very much and like you we are DW vets. Here are a couple things that I learned.
1. You do NOT need to make dining reservations (exceept for a couple resturants that always seemed busy). We were able to get sit down meals every time we tried with very little wait.
2. Park hopper was a must for us. (We don't typically get it at DW). We loved getting to the parks early in the AM and then switching parks mid day. It seriously is a 2 min walk from the gates of DCA to the gates of DL.
3. We went with a Southern California City Pass. It included 3 days at Disney which was perfect for our family. We did spend some time at the beaches and SeaWorld/Universal to make the most of our pass.

Enjoy your trip! It is such a different, but equally fun, experience at Disneyland!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Just be careful...I've read a lot of your TR's about your dedication to WDW...going to DLR can be dangerous...it's turned many a dedicated WDW'er to stray from their WDW love! ;) LOL!!!!
Happy planning!

haha, while I am a WDW lover at heart, the cruise we just took has already caused me to stray. I'm sure DL might be the final pull to get me away from WDW for awhile ;)

GiveMeTheMusic

Get the parkhopper at DLC. At WDW I'd call it "optional"...at DLC, it makes a huge difference. You can hop over and get a FP for say, the Racers, then go over to DL and ride a few rides while you wait. HUGE difference than how it works at WDW.

Sorry, confused - what is DLC?

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
The annoying and incorrect version of Disneyland's name, "Disneyland California."

haha, yesterday I was explaining to my Mom and sister that we should get PH on our tickets and I said "we can go between California Adventure and Magic Kingdom" and my sister said "you do realize you just called Disneyland Magic Kingdom?" I totally didn't even realize it. I forget that the park itself is called Disneyland. I guess I'm so used to WDW as a whole being called Disney World and MK being MK. I get so annoyed when I ask people which park they're going to at WDW and they say "We're going to Disney" (meaning MK)

Californian Elitist

haha, yesterday I was explaining to my Mom and sister that we should get PH on our tickets and I said "we can go between California Adventure and Magic Kingdom" and my sister said "you do realize you just called Disneyland Magic Kingdom?" I totally didn't even realize it. I forget that the park itself is called Disneyland. I guess I'm so used to WDW as a whole being called Disney World and MK being MK. I get so annoyed when I ask people which park they're going to at WDW and they say "We're going to Disney" (meaning MK)

"Magic Kingdom" can be used for Disneyland as well. It's usually referred to as "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom." You'll hear the train announcer in the park say "...grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom." You'll see, once you get there.

cr3346

Like you guys in this thread, I have been to WDW more times than I can count and know all the ins-and-outs. My family and I will be heading out to California from Nov 12-19. Some of my family is doing the breast cancer walk in San Diego the 15-17, but I am going for the sight seeing. Probably going to stop in LA on the 13 and was thing about going to DLR on this day. If we go for just the day, how many rides would I expect to get on? Is it crowded around this time or will wait times be low? Thanks for your help

sweetpee_1993

I get so annoyed when I ask people which park they're going to at WDW and they say "We're going to Disney" (meaning MK)

Once upon a time going to Disney in Central Florida was one in the same as going to MK. I find its often people who went back then who say it that way which it totally appreciate because I remember those days. Now, people who say they're going to Disneyland in Florida or Disney World in California totally chap my tookus. I'll correct them eeeeevery time. Some of my hubby's friends & family do that to me on purpose....

GiveMeTheMusic

Like you guys in this thread, I have been to WDW more times than I can count and know all the ins-and-outs. My family and I will be heading out to California from Nov 12-19. Some of my family is doing the breast cancer walk in San Diego the 15-17, but I am going for the sight seeing. Probably going to stop in LA on the 13 and was thing about going to DLR on this day. If we go for just the day, how many rides would I expect to get on? Is it crowded around this time or will wait times be low? Thanks for your help

Since the 13th is a weekday you should be okay crowd-wise, but it won't be empty. Christmas starts on the 12th, so you'll have the Christmas parade, small world Holiday and Believe in Holiday Magic all playing at Disneyland. World of Color doesn't begin its Christmas show until the 15th.

If you get there at opening (10am) and stay till closing (8pm), you should be able to do a significant amount of damage. Focus on things that aren't duplicated in Florida, or are better there (this will eliminate much of DCA - Soarin', Toy Story Midway Mania and Tower of Terror, for example). At Disneyland, Pirates, Indiana Jones, Roger Rabbit, Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn, Snow White, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Space Mountain, small world, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Mr. Toad, Storybookland Canal Boats, Buzz Lightyear, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage - these are all unique to DLR or superior/different enough from their WDW counterparts. In DCA, Cars Land is the main draw; other unique things include Monsters Inc, Disney Animation (but not the shows within), a bug's land (mostly kiddie stuff), California Screamin', Mickey's Fun Wheel (of death - get a swinging gondola if you're brave), World of Color, Grizzly River Run, Buena Vista Street.

Know what you want to see in advance so you can plan somewhat accordingly. If you're not going to park hop, pick DL. If you are, start your day at DCA to get on Radiator Springs Racers, hit the few things you want there and then spend the rest of your time in DL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom