Dixie Landings - Why the name change?

mrtoad

Indeed. But on paper, does the bottom line relate to a single "Umbrella" resort company (Port Orleans)? Would this influence the money/legal/tax side of things?

(I have no idea - just a thought)

It could, I don't enough about that sort of thing.

JLW11Hi

The arguments on this thread seem pretty one sided...

Honestly, there are a billion themes, ideas, that Disney can use to incorporate into the parks and the resorts. While I can understand the interest in old New Orleans that came from the old guard at Disney back in the 60s when New Orleans square was unveiled, I think that continuing this romanticism of the old South is not needed. I love Splash Mountain, New Orleans Square (DL) and I do think Port Orleans is a beautiful resort (my favorite moderate, at that) But any more theming around the old South would be overdoing it and pushing the limit. There are things that happened during these times that simply do not sit well with certain people, especially African Americans. No white person could truly know what it is to have these things as a part of their heritage, and we can at least be respectful.

Consider that this is an opinion of a white male who loves Traditional New Orleans style music.

Wilt Dasney

No white person could truly know what it is to have these things as a part of their heritage, and we can at least be respectful.
With some possible exceptions among the elderly, no one knows what it's like. Most people are at least 3 or 4 generations removed from that time. Whatever my great-great-grandparents went through, I don't feel their pain.

Red Line

Probably one of the worst aspects of the Civil War was the whole "Johnny Reb and Billy Yank" brother fighting brother ordeal. This was especially strong in the border states, which, though union, held slaves even beyond the Emancipation Proclamation because it only freed the slaves in states that were still in rebellion. Something that I found ironic was President Lincoln's wife had 4 brothers who fought for the Confederacy. Another interesting thing to note is General Robert E. Lee was unofficially offered by Lincoln to head command the Union army, but when Virginia seceded, Lee felt compelled to follow his home state. This truly was a CIVIL war.

It's sad that a term such as Dixie (which was around before the Civil War) isnt PC. Before we know it we will have "Infuriated Gentlemen of European decent of the Islands in the Caribbean Sea" and "Its a world of finite volume". Give me a break :brick:

PS I am in no way a supporter of slavery

Wilt Dasney

PS I am in no way a supporter of slavery

What's hilarious to me is that you felt the need to add this disclaimer to what was (in my opinion) a very well argued, reasonable post. I think that's pretty representative of the problem here. The "offended" have taken control of the debate to such an extent that well meaning, intelligent people just don't speak up or feel the need to qualify every statement.

Or maybe I'm just overanalyzing your post. :hammer::lookaroun

BG Rugger

My family is good friends with an administrative cast member at Dixie Landings (POR) and we had a long discussion with her at the time of the change. Off the record, her information was that the combination of the resorts saved Disney A TON of money because of streamlining. Disney being Disney in the late 90's, I would imagine this was the main reson for the change.

C&D

I don't go along with the name change reason. They could have combined operations and call them shrimp and grits and it wouldn't make any difference; the money would have been saved by the combining of operations, not the name change. ("A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".........................)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom