Ditching Disney

jaklgreen

No, it absolutely cannot be as affordable as many people desire.

The apples are "ways to spend a vacation". Saying "you can't compare them!" is pointless, because that's exactly what people do literally every time they decide where to go on their next trip.

This may be hard to believe, but there are people out there for whom spending a week immersed in nature or making friends in a foreign country is absolutely all-day entertainment and preferable to going "WHEEEEE" at a theme park.
You are missing the point. No one said that you can't enjoy doing those things, but they don't cost money! It doesn't cost you to talk to the locals or going on a nature hike. So of course that is going to be a cheaper vacation. You are paying Disney to entertain you. I don't know why some of you are having such a hard time understanding this.

lordsigma

Here’s the question no one ever seems able to answer. What ‘magic’ is gone? Can you define the ‘magic’? Because from all I read, it just feels like nostalgia for what once was rather than the glory of what used to be.
Its subjective. People like what they like and don't like what they don't. I think unfortunately Disney delving into controversial issues also kind of polarized their fanbase. It's a free market - I think the political stuff could hurt Disney in a number of ways for a while though eventually that will probably blow over - politics has a short memory. I visit once a year and have to admit the getting on attractions has gotten a bit more complex though as annoying as it is for the LL/G+ stuff to be premium I actually kind of like how I no longer have to decide what rides Im going to go on when 2 months before visiting or what restaurants/parks to go to 180 days or whatever it was pre covid. Id certainly prefer they go back to free advanced ride bookings but if they do I'd be fine with them doing it same day booking like Genie stuff is. Places like disney are going to change - some people are going to like various changes others aren't. Some changes work and some changes dont work and they get changed again. It's what happens.

lordsigma

1. The ease of booking the vacation.
Well its kind of been complicated for a while..... pre pandemic it was dining reservations 180 days out, Fast Pass 30 or 60 days out whatever it was. Generally its kind of hard to figure that all out so far in advance. Though I certainly would prefer they didnt make advanced ride selections premium, I kind of dont mind that restaurant reservations are closer to travel date and now you dont pick ride selections until the day of. So in my opinion the changes aren't bad in all ways.

Last edited:

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Really? I can compare PGA/LIV getting reprimanded by a Dem from California to Desantis with Disney and get my post pulled, but a meme above can stay. Pretty poor and shows where this board’s moderators live.
So where exactly in the UK do the mods live. I can't figure it out 🤔🤔🤔

yensidtlaw1969

My whole family prefers Pooh to Mr Toad. I disagree, but Pooh is a huge character that means the world to many people. Certainly more than the relatively obscure Mr. J. Thaddeus Toad.

20,000 Leagues is my favorite former ride, but it was sacrificed for a whole land expansion, including Little Mermaid and what some would argue is the most popular tide at WDW, the Seven Dwarves Mine Train. I say that was a good trade.
That's not really an accurate assessment of 20k's demise - the ride was closed and left to rot for a decade before there was any meaningful movement on replacing it - and then once the land was reclaimed it was another half decade before announcing a meaningful replacement, and almost another half decade before that expansion was actually completed. "Sacrificed" is overly generous.

To your earlier point, WDW's Toad was not the same as Disneyland's - it featured two individual, intertwined ride tracks, making it literally twice the ride the DL version is (love it though I do).

Last edited:

Kamikaze

Really? I can compare PGA/LIV getting reprimanded by a Dem from California to Desantis with Disney and get my post pulled, but a meme above can stay. Pretty poor and shows where this board’s moderators live.
Can't disagree that personal biases definitely show in the moderation choices. And that influences the discourse of threads.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Did you report the comment that you believe should be deleted? There are only two moderators and I highly doubt they see every post.
Not to mention one is busy with
Finding Nemo Smile GIF

JIMINYCR

No, it absolutely cannot be as affordable as many people desire.
So there isnt a choice of resorts on property or off?
There isnt value resorts vs mods or Deluxe?
There isnt TS dining vs CS or QS?
There isnt park ticket options without PH , Genie + and LL?
People can book their trips to be on the cheap or ridiculously expensive. Of course the guests have many options where they can pare down costs. Dont be absurd to think the only way to do Disney is unaffordable. No trip anywhere is cheap anymore so choices have to be made, sometimes not what youd ideally like, but no one who really wants to go to WDW is barred if they have the desire, they decide to save and stick to a budget.

JIMINYCR

I sometimes wonder if the problem is that English isn't the native language of people posting and/or reading. Perhaps it is clearer by saying "A Disney trip can be as affordable or exorbitant as one desires is willing or able to have it be". It shouldn't have had to be clarified because I know I never read it any way other than that. But, maybe schools aren't what they once were.
And sometimes words can convey multiple meanings depending on the context they are used. Of course my post wasnt saying I desire a free trip or a trip that would cost next to nothing. It did refer to guests having choices to book trips in multiple fashions so that they were not locked into spending only the most expensive items.
Sorry I dont have a doctorate in education and have a Masters degree in vocabulary. Sure I could have been clearer and chosen my words better, but guess I'm not a smart as you. Thanks for pointing out my error.
My argument that one needs not be rich to go to WDW stands as many people who go are not at the upper income level.

Last edited:

the_rich

And sometimes words can convey multiple meanings depending on the context they are used. Of course my post wasnt saying I desire a free trip or a trip that would cost next to nothing. It did refer to guests having choices to book trips in multiple fashions so that they were not locked into spending only the most expensive items.
Sorry I dont have a doctorate in education and have a Masters degree in vocabulary. Sure I could have been clearer and chosen my words better, but guess I'm not a smart as you. Thanks for pointing out my error.
My argument that one needs not be rich to go to WDW stands as many people who go do are not at the upper income level.
I agree. I could knock almost half of my upcoming trip if I went with a value over deluxe.

jloucks

I agree. Disney is kind of in a league of their own. There are not many place where you can stay just on property and be transported around from your hotel and have all day entertainment. That has to have some value to it. You really can't compare a Disney vacation with anything else, especially ones where you just go sight seeing or hang out at a beach, of course those will be much cheaper.
You are joking right? NO, all vacations are not alike. Are you truly trying to equate a week at WDW with all other vacations? You think that it is the same as sitting on the beach or going to a National Park? Heck, tent camping in the woods where you fish for your dinner is a vacation, but not even close to being comparable to going to WDW. You really believe that a WDW vacation should cost the same as every other vacation? Because this is the discussion. You are being disingenuous for some reason.

Cruise ships you stay on property and are transported around from your hotel and have all day entertainment.

You can compare WDW to any destination that has...
  • Rides
  • Shows
  • Costumed Characters
  • Dining
  • Hotels
  • Airports etc
So you can compare WDW to Six Flags, Sea World, State Fairs, Circuses, etc. You really only need one like characteristic to compare.

I have said this several times before over the last decade, but when you compare Six Flags to WDW, Six Flags wins in several criteria. Maybe not all. Maybe not overall. But in several ways Six Flags is superior to WDW.

Smugpugmug

Cruise ships you stay on property and are transported around from your hotel and have all day entertainment.

• Rides
  • Shows
  • Costumed Characters
  • Dining
  • Hotels
  • Airports etc
So you can compare WDW to Six Flags, Sea World, State Fairs, Circuses, etc. You really only need one like characteristic to compare.

I have said this several times before over the last decade, but when you compare Six Flags to WDW, Six Flags wins in several criteria. Maybe not all. Maybe not overall. But in several ways Six Flags is superior to WDW.
Not trying to be a contrarian (I know how hard that is on here) but I would love to know how Six Flags is better than WDW in a few categories. The nearest Six Flags from me is Six Flags America and that is probably the worst theme park I've ever been to in my entire life in terms of operations and food. I've also been to Six Flags Great Adventure and that was way better than the one in Maryland.

the_rich

Not trying to be a contrarian (I know how hard that is on here) but I would love to know how Six Flags is better than WDW in a few categories. The nearest Six Flags from me is Six Flags America and that is probably the worst theme park I've ever been to in my entire life in terms of operations and food. I've also been to Six Flags Great Adventure and that was way better than the one in Maryland.
Six flags is terrible. The only thing you could say is they have more thrills because of their coasters. Great adventure is trash, I can only imagine how bad the one near you is.

jloucks

Lol, that's fine. That's half the fun of this board.

I was a season pass holder for Six Flags over Texas for over a decade (when the kids were prime theme park age).

Here are the way Six Flags is better that WDW.
  • Off-season, the lines are shorter to non-existent.
  • Tickets and Parking and food and, well, everything really, is more affordable.
  • Six Flags is only 45 minutes from the house.
  • Six Flags season passes apply to any Six Flags park. We toured parks all over the nation. (this is sorta like affordable)
  • The coasters, especially the giga-coasters are world class and far superior to the coasters in WDW.
  • Six Flags is more intimate. It feels grittier and more down to earth. You can be broke and not feel out of place.
  • The people are friendlier. I don't mean the staff, I mean the fellow parkgoers.
  • Six Flags Fiesta Texas (San Antonio) was cleaner than WDW, overall, all parks. (Six Flags Over Texas is gross tho)
Granted, there are lots of ways Six Flags is inferior, but that wasn't my point.

MagicRat

• Rides
  • Shows
  • Costumed Characters
  • Dining
  • Hotels
  • Airports etc

IMG_0938.jpeg

Lilofan

Lol, that's fine. That's half the fun of this board.

I was a season pass holder for Six Flags over Texas for over a decade (when the kids were prime theme park age).

Here are the way Six Flags is better that WDW.
  • Off-season, the lines are shorter to non-existent.
  • Tickets and Parking and food and, well, everything really, is more affordable.
  • Six Flags is only 45 minutes from the house.
  • Six Flags season passes apply to any Six Flags park. We toured parks all over the nation. (this is sorta like affordable)
  • The coasters, especially the giga-coasters are world class and far superior to the coasters in WDW.
  • Six Flags is more intimate. It feels grittier and more down to earth. You can be broke and not feel out of place.
  • The people are friendlier. I don't mean the staff, I mean the fellow parkgoers.
  • Six Flags Fiesta Texas (San Antonio) was cleaner than WDW, overall, all parks. (Six Flags Over Texas is gross tho)
Granted, there are lots of ways Six Flags is inferior, but that wasn't my point.
Going to Six Flags in TX in current temps 105-115 degrees to include humidity ? No thanks.

Goofyernmost

My argument that one needs not be rich to go to WDW stands as many people who go are not at the upper income level.
I'd like to comment on one thing. I wasn't talking about you, in fact I was defending you and trying to explain to the difference between desire to have things our way or the act of making a choice to do what you want to do to react to cost, hassle or whatever in our own way. I agreed with you! The way you put your statement was easily understood. Unfortunately the other guy chose to take it the wrong way. I rephrased your statement to what I thought your intent was in the event someone didn't understand by what was said by the other person that commented on it. I have noticed that as of late everyone seems to be defensive about everything. We have all, myself included, seemed to try to make something offensive out of things not meant to be. I quoted someone else, not you. I used your words to make them understand. It wasn't a critique of your words it was a critique of his understanding your words.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom