Disneyworld Addresses Autism Bullying Incident...

fosse76

Get up, gather your belongings, walk away.

Apparently, thats a little too hard a concept to grasp, but in its simplicity, its a definitive answer for a lot of the worlds, ( Disney? ), problems.

Jimmy Thick- Always the teacher, always the teacher...

They shouldn't have to get up and walk away. They aren't the ones in the wrong. That only leaves the offendors to prey on other people. It isn't simply a case of people being obnoxious, it is a case of people specifically bullying a child. The family had every right to expect Disney to remedy the situation. And as apolice officer, you should know that you have absolutely NO power outside your jurisdiction. You may be able to intimidate offendors, but you don't have any additional authority that an ordinary guest wouldn't have.

scotth1224

i still remember the day that security at Disnetland asked me if i wanted a family put out because of the other mother who did not her children exposed to special needs child. though the child involved did not understand what happened and i was able to talk to her kids. the family was from out of state and their only day to visit. i could not punish her 2 kids, they were elem age, for mothers rudeness. the mother did thank me later in day when we saw each other at another ride. do not think i changed her. i would have felt differently in this situation but liked the way it was handled.

huh???

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Apparently, thats a little too hard a concept to grasp, but in its simplicity, its a definitive answer for a lot of the worlds, ( Disney? ), problems.

Well, if Disney didn't have a responsibility, why did they acknowledge the situation wasn't handled properly or according to procedure?

Jimmy Thick- always living up to his surname......

sublimesting

I don't understand why this is Disney's fault? As a parent myself, if someone was "bullying" my child I would have taken care of the issue myself and it would have stopped.

For anyone to think Disney is to blame over this is absurd.

People need to accept responsibility for raising and caring for their own children. For the parents of this child to whine that Disney should have done something is just the simple and vomit inducing "lets blame someone other than ourself" syndrome that pervades society, and quite frankly makes me sick.

Jimmy Thick- a seven nation army could not hold me back...

What can ya do though Jim? Seriously! You're a cop, what can someone do without getting arrested. Not too much. Disney however could end this right then and there with security and by tresspassing the kids from the park (I learned something on these boards today). But you can't do what we'd all like to do:
images

Yes a jacknife powerbomb.

Jimmy Thick

They shouldn't have to get up and walk away. They aren't the ones in the wrong. That only leaves the offendors to prey on other people. It isn't simply a case of people being obnoxious, it is a case of people specifically bullying a child. The family had every right to expect Disney to remedy the situation. And as apolice officer, you should know that you have absolutely NO power outside your jurisdiction. You may be able to intimidate offendors, but you don't have any additional authority that an ordinary guest wouldn't have.

If I have "power" out of my jurisdiction is irrelevant to my experience to handle situations like the one described.

Getting up and moving, even if they shouldn't have to, would have been the easiest, quickest solution to the problem, and if they did this, they would more than likely not been in a disturbing situation. Thats common sense.

Because your at Disney World, you can throw common sense out the window?

Can I even begin to talk about stories of people who just didn't get up and walk away?

Jimmy Thick- they just don't know just how we roll...thats a good thing

menamechris

If I have "power" out of my jurisdiction is irrelevant to my experience to handle situations like the one described.

Well, thank you for being on the force......in Wisconsin.

I think this attitude is a real example of why these kids don't have respect or empathy in the first place. Sure, it is a great way to diffuse a situation to walk away - but it says there are no consequences for practically assaulting someone. Someone who can't defend themselves at that.

Iakona

As a police officer, I would know how to handle the situation.

As a parent, I would know how to handle the situation.

Neither would involve me or anyone getting ejected from the park. Sorry, I can't buy into this argument, I see it as someone putting blame elsewhere instead of being a responsible parent, no matter what Disney says.

Jimmy Thick- they say the union is forever...

The family did address it, politely, with the teenagers. The result was an escalation of the noise directed at the child. They then addressed it again. Then the Commissary Manager spoke to the teenagers and subsequently their mother.
Sorry, but Disney has a duty to maintain as nonthreatening experience as possible. This was not a case of someone complaining that Disney did not prevent an unprecentable and unforeseen action. Disney management was notified immediately and did not act in accordance with their own policies. The situation could have easily escalated to a physical altercation. Disney has an interest in keeping the experience as fun as possible and when that fun is intruded upon by out of control guests theyshould have handled it appropriate. Whether that meant seperating the parties or ejecting the aggressors.
As a police officer I find it hard to believe you advocate confronting the aggressors beyond what the family did.

Ji

So a family that just sent money to eat dinner should be run out of a restaurant by these punks? In my opinion Disney would not want shield group continuing these actions throughout the Parks. This family had every right to eat dinner without being harassed. They did the right thing by going to the manager. The manager dropped the ball and that is what Disney has recognized. It is not a matter of blaming Disney for the teenagers actiones. It was an issue of Disney failing to call security and protecting guests.
Jason.....teachers can be students too.:)

Lucky

Obviously the CMs handled it poorly initially. Fortunately the company eventually followed up in an appropriate manner, and hopefully most CMs would handle a situation like this better.

Walking away from bullies and sadists might solve the immediate problem, if (a big if) they don't follow you.

But stronger responses are necessary to deter this sort of behavior from happening in the first place.

There's enough bad behavior of various sorts in the parks that there should be a little more security presence - not just pretending to check your bags at the gates, but sprinkled throughout the parks.

Jimmy Thick

Well, thank you for being on the force......in Wisconsin.

I think this attitude is a real example of why these kids don't have respect or empathy in the first place. Sure, it is a great way to diffuse a situation to walk away - but it says there are no consequences for practically assaulting someone. Someone who can't defend themselves at that.

A parent should have stepped in before it came to that. The teenagers involved should have had better parenting so they don't act in a bulling manner. My son is almost 14, he's 6'2 and would never bully anyone, and Iam proud of that.

You can't always put the blame elsewhere, it starts with the parents. If someone's special needs child was getting bullied, the parents should have made the decision to move. Its 50/50 on the bullies and the bullied childs parents.

Jimmy Thick- screaming in digital...

Jimmy Thick

So a family that just sent money to eat dinner should be run out of a restaurant by these punks? In my opinion Disney would not want shield group continuing these actions throughout the Parks. This family had every right to eat dinner without being harassed. They did the right thing by going to the manager. The manager dropped the ball and that is what Disney has recognized. It is not a matter of blaming Disney for the teenagers actiones. It was an issue of Disney failing to call security and protecting guests.
Jason.....teachers can be students too.:)

If the situation was as bad as Iam to believe, yes, get up and move, it does not get any simpler than that. If this happened to a child at school, what would have the child been told to do?

Jimmy Thick- same old story, same old song and dance...

Lucky

If the situation was as bad as Iam to believe, yes, get up and move, it does not get any simpler than that. If this happened to a child at school, what would have the child been told to do?
You'd have told him to change schools, or move to another state.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

I suppose the fact that this took place on New Year's Eve, and the odds of another table being readily available being slim to none, was lost on you?

Or should this family have sought the shelter in the First Aid station?

Jimmy Thick- and how..........

Jimmy Thick

I suppose the fact that this took place on New Year's Eve, and the odds of another table being readily available being slim to none, was lost on you?

Or should this family have sought the shelter in the First Aid station?

Jimmy Thick- and how..........

The Commissary being completely full? The ABC Commissary being completely full....

Yeah, when was the last time you actually went to Disney World?

Jimmy Thick- just how many clowns fit in that clown car...

Iakona

In school a child would have been encouraged to report it to an authority figure. In the case of bullying, kids are being taught get involved and not walk away leaving the person being bullied isolated.
Walking away empowers the bullies. True, full blame for this falls upon the mother of these kids that defended their actions instead of holding her own little angels accountable.

Iakona..those that do not learn from history are destined to repeat it.

menamechris

Wow. I am seriously just sitting here with my mouth hanging open. I would expect there to be consequences at school for harassment and assault - yes. Like suspension. Seriously...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The Commissary being completely full? The ABC Commissary being completely full....

Yeah, when was the last time you actually went to Disney World?

Jimmy Thick- just how many clowns fit in that clown car...

On New Year's Eve? Yeah, I'll take those odds.....

Jimmy Thick- why yes, yes he is.......

loveofamouse

A child would have been told to tell the authorities and the authorities would have had a responsibility to take care of the situation properly.

sittle

I probably would've just taken matters into my own hands... or called the police dept... Disney does not like the police showing up at the parks / resorts.

... punk kids..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom