Disneyworld 3 weeks after gallbladder removal - help!

sarabi

Hi Everyone!

My land/sea WDW trip is fast approaching, and I just had gallbladder surgery a week ago. I'll be in WDW exactly 3 weeks from the day I had surgery.

I've never been sick in my adult life before, so I'm a little nervous about everything, but of course, don't want to cancel the trip. The doctor says there will be no restrictions at that time, but I've been hearing from people who've had difficulty eating fast feed or higher fat food after their gallbladder was removed.

I need all the advice I can get! What meals/ snacks would you recommend that are low in fat? What do I do if I experience some sort of complication while at WDW or at sea on the cruise line? Would you recommend avoiding certain rides?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me normalize my vacation!

disneygirl1024

Well hope all is well with you. Not to burst your bubble but with you just having surgery, I can guarantee that you will not be allowed to ride any rides per doctors orders. You just had surgery. Complications can come from that. Second, the only thing in WDW that is low in fat is fruit, yogurt, and anything else that is not fried. really what you should be doing is resting, not running around WDW. Sorry and hope you feel better soon.

Upvote 0

SMS55

My wife had gall bladder surgery 8 weeks after having our daughter. This was back in July. She went back to her regular routine and has been fine ever since. She was back caring for our daughter just a few days later, including lifting her. She eats what ever she wants now too.

Upvote 0

mrsdanalind

3 weeks

Hi Everyone!

My land/sea WDW trip is fast approaching, and I just had gallbladder surgery a week ago. I'll be in WDW exactly 3 weeks from the day I had surgery.

I've never been sick in my adult life before, so I'm a little nervous about everything, but of course, don't want to cancel the trip. The doctor says there will be no restrictions at that time, but I've been hearing from people who've had difficulty eating fast feed or higher fat food after their gallbladder was removed.

I need all the advice I can get! What meals/ snacks would you recommend that are low in fat? What do I do if I experience some sort of complication while at WDW or at sea on the cruise line? Would you recommend avoiding certain rides?

Had Gall Bladder Surgery about three years ago. Two weeks later I was in WDW. I was restricted for the first week, and after that I was on a general diet. I would restrict the fat and grease in the diet the fat and grease will give you the runs, big time because you won't be able to digest it.(gall breaks down fats and grease in the digestive tract.) You will want to eat more fruit and veggies, and go easy on meat. Other than that, enjoy it, just eat sensabily and you won't have much problem. You may tire out easier, so just take your time, take breaks when you get tired and you will have a great time.

Upvote 0

chuckd3

Well hope all is well with you. Not to burst your bubble but with you just having surgery, I can guarantee that you will not be allowed to ride any rides per doctors orders. You just had surgery. Complications can come from that. Second, the only thing in WDW that is low in fat is fruit, yogurt, and anything else that is not fried. really what you should be doing is resting, not running around WDW. Sorry and hope you feel better soon.

I had a triple bypass on 11/10/2006. We had a Disney trip scheduled 12/1/2006. My Doctors okayed me to go as long as we flew and did not drive. NO RESTRICTIONS. They said I would know what I could do and could not do. They were right! It's a Small World almost killed me! I really could only meet the family for a meal or two and then ECV it back to the room to rest for several hours.

Upvote 0

sarabi

Original Poster

The doctor is completely aware of my vacation plans and has said nothing about restricting rides, though he said I may want to "build up" just like I do with food, to whatever is comfortable. My doctors actually make it sound like now that I'm a week out from surgery, I should be completely back to normal in terms of activity and what I can handle eating. The surgery was laproscopic so no big incision, and the only restrictions the doctor gave were "no swimming or bathing for 3 weeks", which I'll be over 3 weeks out when I'm in WDW.
So I'm kind of the one putting restrictions on myself based on how I feel. I've been handling food pretty well, but then again have not tried pizza or chocolate or whatnot yet. I plan to ride mostly tame rides. I'll be with my 4 year old anyway.
I would've considered cancelling, but we're in the window now where if I cancel the trip I incur steep penalties and it's really not an option at this point.
There just seems to be a big disconnect between what the doctors say and what people who've actually had the procedure experience.

Upvote 0

sarabi

Original Poster
I had a triple bypass on 11/10/2006. We had a Disney trip scheduled 12/1/2006. My Doctors okayed me to go as long as we flew and did not drive. NO RESTRICTIONS. They said I would know what I could do and could not do. They were right! It's a Small World almost killed me! I really could only meet the family for a meal or two and then ECV it back to the room to rest for several hours.

Yikes. I'm so sorry you were unable to handle much. I hope you are feeling better now and have been able to get back.

Upvote 0

piglet66

I had my gall bladder out and was back to work in two weeks. You do have to watch the foods you eat, high fat and grease can cause diarrhea at first, so try to limit those. As a nurse I would tell you, you know your body better than anyone, listen to it. If you need to take a break, take a break. No need to cancel or worry. Cruises have infirmaries (spelled that wrong I think) that you can utilize if you get sick. Have a great week with your 4 year old, and enjoy the trip.

Upvote 0

NikiMouse

We went to disney in 2007 4 weeks after my c-section. I rode everything but the coasters, Dinosaur, Kali River, Test Track and the safari (I dont do mission space).

As far as the food - can't help there because I still have my gallbladder. I do know that most counter service places have healthier non-fried options. We just got back (today) and I saw plenty of non-fried options. I am sure you easily will find things to eat that will not send you to the bathroom often.

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

When I had my gallbladder out I decided to slowly "check" my bodies reactions to things so that I knew what to expect before hand. I started with fruits and vegetables, moved on to different cheeses, lowfat meats, fattier meats and then finally different levels of fried foods. I discovered that I am not affected at all by having no gallbladder. That may be because my gallbladder was actually dead not just plugged so there is no idea how long it wasn't doing it's job but that's neither here nor there. My point is, every body is different. You need to check yours to know what to expect. Best of luck!

Upvote 0

disney magic 06

Hope you are feeling better now.

I eat very little fried food as it simply doesn't suit me, and find plenty to eat at WDW, it's just a matter of looking. There are so many different restaurants, I'm sure you will find something to suit.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

Hi Everyone!

I went about 6 weeks after I had my gallbladder out 2 years ago. At home I was only eating chicken and turkey for meat, but found the hambugers like at Pecos Bills didn't bother me (red meat at home still to this day bothers me). I think there is a lot of options at Disney. Seasons at Epcot has a great half chicken meal and so does Cosmic Ray's. I ate a lot of extra vegetables from the topping bars and found many fruit options at the resort. Our family for the most part stopped eating at the buffets/table service because I find its better on me to eat smaller meals throughout the day than larger ones.
As far as the rides go I never had a problem.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

If you can try to do sit down meals as well, the offerings can be more tailored to lower fats and oils. It really isnt too bad or too difficult. I have been doing it for a little while now. Best of luck!! Marie

Upvote 0

Mick G.

I think there was a week between my gall bladder surgery, and our family trip to WDW a couple of years back. It was frustrating that I couldn't swim, and we were at the Poly. Food wasn't an issue, and I did Splash Mountain and Big Thunder with no problems. But Space Mountain had the restraint right across my midsection -- Can't believe I did that. Don't do that.

Mick

Upvote 0

jhopkins213

Hi Everyone!

I had the same thing this year. I was about 5 weeks before I went to Walt Disney World and had to have mine removed. The only thing I can recommend is take some Imodium AD and take one a day because I had a problem that when i had to go I had to go right then and there. And it helped me stay regular . But I ate normal and rode every thing I wanted to. Just made sure my wounds stayed clean and dry. And didn't lift anything. Also if your on pain meds don't take them before your flight. I made the mistake going down and kinda freaked a little.

Upvote 0

Chewmonkey

Same Situation...

I had mine out on 11/10, and will be checking in on 12/10. I was back on my feet in just a couple of days, and only missed three days of work for the surgery.

The biggest question is whether they were able to remove yours laprescopically, or if they had to gut you. Mine was done lapriscopically, and I healed up quickly. I'm also still in my 30's, which I think makes a big difference. If you had the full on 'slice the whole belly' removal, you may want to avoid certain rides.

I had no food restrictions, and was told to resume my normal diet as soon as possible. Not to be gross, but my digestive system has never worked better, and I've had none of the complications some people encounter. Even my severe heartburn is less than half what it used to be.

Go and have fun. Life is too short.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Hi Everyone!

It may be too late for this advice, but get a passport if you do not already have one.

Although you can board the ship with a birth certificate, you can only get back into the US with a birth certificate if you come back on the ship.

If something happens and you need to be taken off the ship to a hospital for treatment, you will NOT be able to re-enter the US by plane or via a different ship. You will have to play some fun games with the Diplomats office.

I would use a passport in any case, just for peice of mind, but in the case such as yours, I would highly recommend it.

-dave

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom