Disneyworld 3 weeks after gallbladder removal - help!

sarabi

Hi Everyone!

My land/sea WDW trip is fast approaching, and I just had gallbladder surgery a week ago. I'll be in WDW exactly 3 weeks from the day I had surgery.

I've never been sick in my adult life before, so I'm a little nervous about everything, but of course, don't want to cancel the trip. The doctor says there will be no restrictions at that time, but I've been hearing from people who've had difficulty eating fast feed or higher fat food after their gallbladder was removed.

I need all the advice I can get! What meals/ snacks would you recommend that are low in fat? What do I do if I experience some sort of complication while at WDW or at sea on the cruise line? Would you recommend avoiding certain rides?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me normalize my vacation!

sarabi

Original Poster
Hi Everyone. I just wanted to thank all of you for your awesome advice.

I'm a week and a day away from my trip and I'm feeling more like myself again. To answer a few questions: I had mine out laproscopically two weeks ago to this day. I'm in my early 30s too, and as I look, I see one wound is already almost completely healed.

I handled thanksgiving dinner well. I ate less than usual, but still enough to qualify as a meal, I think. I too am testing things and adding things back to my diet slowly. I avoided gravy and chocolate over the holiday weekend, but I did eat some delivered pizza with no problems, so I'm more optimistic than before. The only trouble I really had was for the first week or so after my surgery.

I don't do space mountain, so no worries there. Would like to do the Safari, Splash, and BTM, but we'll just have to see how I'm feeling at that time. Maybe it's safer to avoid them at this point.

Upvote 0

Aggie Mom

I had mine out a year ago. I think you'll be fine, but might have to slow down and let yourself rest more than usual. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to take along some immodium to help handle the diet issue.

Upvote 0

sarabi

Original Poster
Hi everyone. I just wanted to let you all know I returned from my trip yesterday and all was well. I avoided Everest, Rock N Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, and Mission Space. I did try Kilamanjaro Safari with no issues and I think that was the roughest ride I was on. As I said, I was with a child. I also did Splash and Kali, which I find relatively tame.
Food was not an issue. The ice cream carts all have fresh fruit now which is nice, but I didn't need to tap into that. The bigger issue came on the cruise because I was just eating too much, so I did use the immodium I took twice. Thanks for the tip!
Energy levels were fine. I was a little tired the first couple days because I hadn't had the change to ramp up my walking prior to the trip, but after that, I was back to normal.
As far as the trip went - it was fabulous. There is nothing like seeing your daughter race down Main Street when she sees that castle for the first time. And the cruise was magnificent. I highly recommend cruising with Disney. I might actually have enjoyed it more than the parks.

Upvote 0

DreamalittleDisney

Same Situation...

I had mine out on 11/10, and will be checking in on 12/10. I was back on my feet in just a couple of days, and only missed three days of work for the surgery.

The biggest question is whether they were able to remove yours laprescopically, or if they had to gut you. Mine was done lapriscopically, and I healed up quickly. I'm also still in my 30's, which I think makes a big difference. If you had the full on 'slice the whole belly' removal, you may want to avoid certain rides.

I had no food restrictions, and was told to resume my normal diet as soon as possible. Not to be gross, but my digestive system has never worked better, and I've had none of the complications some people encounter. Even my severe heartburn is less than half what it used to be.

Go and have fun. Life is too short.
Hey know this is a old post but had mine done lap yesterday and fly out in just under 5 weeks your post has made me feel so much better!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom