Disney's US Properties Plan Low-Key 9/11 Observances

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney's US Properties Plan Low-Key 9/11 Observances

(Amusement Business) -- Every domestic division of the Walt Disney Co. will observe Sept. 11 in its own way. "Company-wide, it's a huge effort," said one executive. The American Broadcasting Co. will have a special day of programming, and a jet fly-over will take place over Anaheim Stadium where Disney's Anaheim Angels play. The Disney Stores and the ESPN Zones will each have their own agendas as well. In the theme parks, various events will take place during the day to show "respect for the fallen, their families, and the thousands who have helped in the wake of the tragedy." Leslie Goodman, senior VP of strategic communications for Walt Dis-ney Parks & Resorts, said as of Aug. 13, no non-domestic Disney parks had informed her of any decision to observe the occasion. The events at the US parks are low-key and are not being promoted or advertised. "People usually come to a Disney park to escape reality. But we felt it appropriate to observe the occasion in a somber way. We want to provide an opportunity for our guests who happen to be here on Sept. 11, to show their respect," she said. Goodman said the observances would also be for the thousands of Disney employees "who have rallied to help those in need" since the tragic events. Each Disney employee will receive a special pin and certificate that day in recognition of their efforts. At press time, here are the confirmed activities:

· All flags will be raised in the morning and will then be lowered to half-mast before the parks are open to the public.
· At night, an enhanced flag retreat ceremony will take place on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Florida.
· A moment of silence will be observed park-wide, followed by patriotic music. If a national moment of si-lence is called for, the parks will observe it if the park is open for business at that time. If not, the parks will each have its own moment at another time during the day.
· Show schedules at all parks will be adjusted so that all shows are silent during the moment of silence. Rides and attractions will also be dark for those few minutes.
· The Voices of Liberty and Vybe, two musical groups at Epcot at Walt Disney World, will present a day-long program of patriotic music at the American Adventure pavilion.

pheneix

Just what they needed to do for the anniversary. Tasteful, but not extravagant.

I just wish ABC would be this thoughtful...

Castle Cake Apologist

Will stopping the rides effect anything? I've heard some rides like ToT and Test Track take a very long time to restart. I think it's great they are are observing the occasion like this. Appropriate but not over-extravagant.

prberk

Very nice, especially the MK and EPCOT plans. I also appreciate stopping the rides for a true "moment of silence." I wish that I could be there.

I would love to see video of it. I am sure that it would be moving: hearing only the wind, yet seeing the sights of a place that is normally bustling, stopped just for the moment.

STGRhost

Will stopping the rides effect anything? I've heard some rides like ToT and Test Track take a very long time to restart. I think it's great they are are observing the occasion like this. Appropriate but not over-extravagant.to

Last year, when we had the moment of silence on that Friday (the "day of Rememberance"), we were told that they "cycled out" those rides - meaning the rides were still running (or what ever they need to do) but the queues were cut off, so that the last guests to ride got done, and out on the streets again, right in time for the MoS. I believe this is what they will do again (rather than actually STOP all the rides, and then have to go through restarting them).

All in all, I think they are handling the anniversary appropriately...not so much as to interfere with people's "fantasy", but enough that there will be something for the guests that are looking for it ( does that make sense?)

STGRhost

I would love to see video of it. I am sure that it would be moving: hearing only the wind, yet seeing the sights of a place that is normally bustling, stopped just for the moment.

Last year, for the MoS (see the post above) it was neat to see.(Is that inappropriate? I just mean it was nice to see people coming together like that - even guests NOT from the US participated) There weren't a lot of people in the parks (bad weather that week, along with everything else), but the ones that were there all stopped and faced the flags (I was at the Main Entrance watching, of course). It was a little chilling, too, to see people crying...Some of my co-CMs cried, and most of the security guards, too (THAT was hard to watch.)
In the middle of it all, as they were playing God Bless America, there was a little boy (maybe 3 or 4 yrs old), dancing along to the music. That's what made me cry - he had NO idea what was going on (and shouldn't have had to, at that age) and he was in Disney World, so he was dancing along to the music. His mother shushed him, and I really wish she hadn't, because he was being a kid, and because I didn't see a whole lot of truly "normal" things for a long time after 9/11.

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Has the President issued the order?

The policy that the Disney company has adopted goes against the flag etiquette of the USA. To wit:

"The flag is to be flown at half staff in mourning for designated, principal government leaders and upon presidential or gubernatorial order."

Now, if the President of the USA has ordered this to be done, only then do I think it would be appropriate. The Disney company has made this mistake before when they lowered the flag at Disneyland after Walt's death without the order of the President or the Governor of California.

If an order from the President was released, the Disney company should have made mention of that in their press release.

cymbaldiva

I'm fairly sure that flags all over the USA will be at half-mast. Since it is a day of mourning for all, I don't think the President will mind.

kaos

Re: Has the President issued the order?

Originally posted by Talsonic
The policy that the Disney company has adopted goes against the flag etiquette of the USA. To wit:

"The flag is to be flown at half staff in mourning for designated, principal government leaders and upon presidential or gubernatorial order."

Now, if the President of the USA has ordered this to be done, only then do I think it would be appropriate. The Disney company has made this mistake before when they lowered the flag at Disneyland after Walt's death without the order of the President or the Governor of California.

If an order from the President was released, the Disney company should have made mention of that in their press release.

Those are for federal buildings. Any flag can be lowered to half mast by any company or individual to commemorate a loss.

Talsonic

Account Suspended
USA Flag etiquette is for all of us.

Originally posted by kaos

Those are for federal buildings. Any flag can be lowered to half mast by any company or individual to commemorate a loss.

My point is that USA flag etiquette should be observed and that no one (including the Disney company) should be allowed to fly the flag improperly. Of course, there is no law to prevent the Disney company from making an improper display of the US flag. As I said, it is a matter of proper etiquette and I would hope that the Disney company (and all persons in the USA) respect the flag. To display the flag at half mast without proper authority is very disrespectful. Do you fly the flag at half mast on every December 7? I hope not! Personally, I think that it would be very appropriate for the Governors of New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia to order the flags flown at half mast on this coming 9/11. I also think it appropriate for the President to order all American flags in the USA and its territories to be flown at half mast if that is his will. I do not think it is at all appropriate for the Disney company (or anyone else) to take the "lead" in this matter. Please correct me if I am wrong but I have not seen an order from the President for all USA flags to be lowered on 9/11. He would be required to do this by proclamation. I have attached a link that lists all of the President's proclamations:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/proclamations/

JLW11Hi

Re: USA Flag etiquette is for all of us.

Originally posted by Talsonic

My point is that USA flag etiquette should be observed and that no one (including the Disney company) should be allowed to fly the flag improperly. Of course, there is no law to prevent the Disney company from making an improper display of the US flag. As I said, it is a matter of proper etiquette and I would hope that the Disney company (and all persons in the USA) respect the flag. To display the flag at half mast without proper authority is very disrespectful. Do you fly the flag at half mast on every December 7? I hope not! Personally, I think that it would be very appropriate for the Governors of New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia to order the flags flown at half mast on this coming 9/11. I also think it appropriate for the President to order all American flags in the USA and its territories to be flown at half mast if that is his will. I do not think it is at all appropriate for the Disney company (or anyone else) to take the "lead" in this matter. Please correct me if I am wrong but I have not seen an order from the President for all USA flags to be lowered on 9/11. He would be required to do this by proclamation. I have attached a link that lists all of the President's proclamations:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/proclamations/

Here's a kinda funny story..

Right after September 11th, our local newspapaer jumped at the idea of encouraging others to honor the country by putting small paper flags in the newspapers, encouraging everyone to display them in their home. The problem? The paper flags only had one side to them, and were intended to be put up horizontally, but as you probably know, flags are supposed to be hung vertically, with the stars facing the left. Well, the way the flags were made, they could only be hung with the stars on the right. But everyone put them up horizontally, anyway.

After about a week, the Times realized their mistake and sent out proper flags with appologies and instructions how to put them up properly. But for some reason, those second flags didnt turn out as popular as the first ones. I still see homes all over town with the wrong-way flags on their windows.

cymbaldiva

Are you always this cranky, or is it just here on the boards for us to "enjoy"? I can't believe that anyone could be so against a show of mourning and respect on 9/11.

TiggersPooh

Re: Re: Has the President issued the order?

Those are for federal buildings. Any flag can be lowered to half mast by any company or individual to commemorate a loss. [/B][/QUOTE]

I dont remember if this is right (tell me if I am wrong) but I thought you could have the flag at half if all the other flags (like state and others) were below them!? PLease tell me if I am wrong!

cymbaldiva

TiggersPooh - I' m sure you're a great person and this will probably give you a giggle - I really hate your avatar! It gives me the creeps...I think it is watching me!

Peace!

wyattkelly

I will be observing Sept. 11 with a small candle ceremony on the front lawn of my apartment, with an american flag. I wish I could be at Disneyworld on that day, because I believe I would need some joy when I think of those I lost, and thank serendipity for those that survived.

TiggersPooh

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
TiggersPooh - I' m sure you're a great person and this will probably give you a giggle - I really hate your avatar! It gives me the creeps...I think it is watching me!

Peace!

LOL thats FUNNY!! It is the only thing I could find because I dont want to use the one on the site (too many people do)!! I keep finding all these pictures but they are too big and I dont know how to shrink them!! I AM WATCHING YOU :lol: :D :wave:

prberk

Originally posted by STGRhost

Last year, for the MoS (see the post above) it was neat to see.(Is that inappropriate? I just mean it was nice to see people coming together like that - even guests NOT from the US participated) There weren't a lot of people in the parks (bad weather that week, along with everything else), but the ones that were there all stopped and faced the flags (I was at the Main Entrance watching, of course). It was a little chilling, too, to see people crying...Some of my co-CMs cried, and most of the security guards, too (THAT was hard to watch.)
In the middle of it all, as they were playing God Bless America, there was a little boy (maybe 3 or 4 yrs old), dancing along to the music. That's what made me cry - he had NO idea what was going on (and shouldn't have had to, at that age) and he was in Disney World, so he was dancing along to the music. His mother shushed him, and I really wish she hadn't, because he was being a kid, and because I didn't see a whole lot of truly "normal" things for a long time after 9/11.

I just have to say how much I appreciate this post. It took me a while, but I wanted to recognize it. Chilling (in good way), if that is the right word.

Thank you for taking the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom