Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Looks like the rumors of a adult section coming to Disney+ are true. It will require a pin code which will house Fox and MGM content.

Yep, been predicting this since the beginning. People didn't want to believe it due to "brand", but knew that wasn't going to be a long term thing with D+.

In my opinion this is another domino falling in the eventual phasing out of the Hulu app in favor of a unified app.

Anyways, expect to see Logan and Deadpool on D+ as soon as this feature goes live.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yep, been predicting this since the beginning. People didn't want to believe it due to "brand", but knew that wasn't going to be a long term thing with D+.

In my opinion this is another domino falling in the eventual phasing out of the Hulu app in favor of a unified app.

Anyways, expect to see Logan and Deadpool on D+ as soon as this feature goes live.

Hulu is still a live TV streamer and contains 3rd party content. Don't see it ever going away as a separate thing.

Now, can there be a button in D+ and Hulu that will take you to the other app? I could see that happening.

Tony Perkis

Hulu is still a live TV streamer and contains 3rd party content. Don't see it ever going away as a separate thing.

Now, can there be a button in D+ and Hulu that will take you to the other app? I could see that happening.
Yep. Disney+ isn’t going to merge with a service that also airs CBS, Fox-owned regional, NBC and all the non-owned cable channels on platform owned 100% by Disney.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Well its just my opinion on the potential future of Disney Streaming. Remember a lot here were adamant that D+ would never get adult content either. But I outlined exactly what Disney appears to be doing. So just because it doesn't seem thinkable doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.

As for the button, again something I even mentioned as possible, I would think that is a given at this point and just a matter of rolling out the feature. The lines between D+ and Hulu are going to blur to the point where most won't even consider them separate. And after 2024 when Disney can purchase the rest of Hulu and own it outright I suspect more changes like I keep mentioning to come. It'll be interesting how the future of Disney streaming unfolds.

Tony Perkis

Well its just my opinion on the potential future of Disney Streaming. Remember a lot here were adamant that D+ would never get adult content either. But I outlined exactly what Disney appears to be doing. So just because it doesn't seem thinkable doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.

As for the button, again something I even mentioned as possible, I would think that is a given at this point and just a matter of rolling out the feature. The lines between D+ and Hulu are going to blur to the point where most won't even consider them separate. And after 2024 when Disney can purchase the rest of Hulu and own it outright I suspect more changes like I keep mentioning to come. It'll be interesting how the future of Disney streaming unfolds.

And what about Hulu’s Live TV? That’s the biggest elephant in the film that needs to be addressed.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And what about Hulu’s Live TV? That’s the biggest elephant in the film that needs to be addressed.
And why would that need to be addressed?

Hulu doesn't have a big footprint with being only in US and Japan. And just like certain content is only available in certain regions on Netflix the same can be done with the LiveTV option for Hulu. Make it available only in certain regions, while the rest of the content is made available everywhere else.

doctornick

Hey, when did Disney acquire MGM?!!

;)

He corrected himself in an update tweet. He meant Touchstone.

And D+ already does 4K.

Yeah, I was wondering that - I thought did Fox own any of MGM’s back catalogue? I knew Turner (which would now be the AT&T conglomerate IIRC) owned most if not all of it.

We’ll see what happens. The pandemic and lack of new programming might be leading Disney to pivot and push Disney+ more at the expense of Hulu. Personally I think keeping Disney+ exclusively family friendly is the better long term play.

Tony Perkis

And why would that need to be addressed?

Hulu doesn't have a big footprint with being only in US and Japan. And just like certain content is only available in certain regions on Netflix the same can be done with the LiveTV option for Hulu. Make it available only in certain regions, while the rest of the content is made available everywhere else.
It needs to be addressed because it’s a major part of Hulu’s platform, and is a major bottleneck toward a more unified (and massively bloated) app.

I don’t think you realize how huge a combined app would be, and how much of a slog it would be for developers, and the slowdown it will cause for end users.

tcool123

Maybe we wont see Hulu combine with Disney+, but I dont see the harm of having Disney+ as an add-on to Hulu.

Hulu already has the add-on options with Starz, HBO, Showtime, etc. I would think that would be an easier for Disney to implement at first, and would still see the two as separate entities. You would still pay for both, but would allow Hulu users to access Disney+ through that portal.

Tony Perkis

Maybe we wont see Hulu combine with Disney+, but I dont see the harm of having Disney+ as an add-on to Hulu.

Hulu already has the add-on options with Starz, HBO, Showtime, etc. I would think that would be an easier for Disney to implement at first, and would still see the two as separate entities. You would still pay for both, but would allow Hulu users to access Disney+ through that portal.
I think an add-on with a built in redirect button when you purchase is more doable. Streamlines both apps.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It needs to be addressed because it’s a major part of Hulu’s platform, and is a major bottleneck toward a more unified (and massively bloated) app.

I don’t think you realize how huge a combined app would be, and how much of a slog it would be for developers, and the slowdown it will cause for end users.
I don't disagree, it would be a big undertaking. However not sure its as huge of a hurdle to overcome as you think it is. You just can't picture it because you're resistant to the idea.

Basically any feature that is currently in the Hulu app can be added into the D+ app as a replacement. Think of it similar to how DC Universe is being migrated over to HBO Max, and DC Universe is being shutdown. Same thing in my mind with unification of Hulu features into D+.

Anyways, you disagree I can understand that. So before we turn this into several pages of back and forth lets just leave it there.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Looks like the rumors of a adult section coming to Disney+ are true. It will require a pin code which will house Fox and MGM content.

K, the source of this is Grace Randolph, who has a very spotty track record.

The argument that Disney would not put more adult content on D+ is that that's what Hulu is for.

The counter-argument to that is that Hulu is not available internationally.

The counter-counter-argument to that is that's what the new service "Star" is for.. to provide Disney-owned content in markets that can't get Hulu (because of Hulu's entanglement in providing live streaming of broadcast channels which is regional-locked). Star will basically be Hulu International, but just the Disney properties. If you want Disney family and adult content, you get D+Hulu in the U.S., or, you get D+Star internationally.

If there were no Star, I'd put more weight on D+ getting an adult section.

But now that adult content that Disney owns will be available on Hulu and Star world wide... it weakens the idea of an adult section of D+.

BrianLo

But now that adult content that Disney owns will be available on Hulu and Star world wide... it weakens the idea of an adult section of D+.

A lot of this depends on Star actually doing well in International markets. Disney needs to start producing more original content for that platform to justify buying Hulu-lite (without the live TV and content from Fox, NBC and CBS).

PiratesMansion

I both understand and don't understand migrating Fox and other, more adult content onto Disney+ with a pin.

On one hand, it's the easiest way to convince adults who aren't interested in any of Disney's brands to get Disney+, which is already larger than Hulu by a considerable margin, and frankly it's better for Disney long term to pump up the service with their own name on it. It also solves to a degree the "branding" problem Disney has seemed to foist upon itself, whereupon Love Victor and Adult Lizzie McGuire were fine for Disney+ until they weren't because of "appropriateness" (read: oh noes think of teh childrenz!1!1!) reasons.

On the other hand, Hulu eventually just becomes a dumping ground for recently aired network TV content that will stay for about a week or so and nothing else? I can't foresee Disney keeping both brands around at full strength so to speak without some kind of clear content differentiator (beyond "watch the shows that aired live in the last week on network TV," at least). Nor do I foresee Disney migrating every single piece of content airing on Hulu over to Disney+. Which is a real shame, because for TV at least, Hulu's pretty unbeatable right now. Maybe Hulu just doesn't (and is not projected to have) the penetration into the US (because clearly it's not going to expand elsewhere at this point) streaming market or the interest as either Disney+ or even ESPN+? Because otherwise I actually thought the Hulu/D+ differentiator worked/is working pretty well for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom