Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Magic Crush Drop

Hulu doesn't have a big footprint with being only in US and Japan.
Just want to point out that Disney has no connection to Hulu Japan outside of licensing the name and tech.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just want to point out that Disney has no connection to Hulu Japan outside of licensing the name and tech.
This only solidifies my point even more.

Indy_UK

Adding an adult section to Disney+ to me makes me think they are nixing their plans also to launch Hulu outside of the USA. It also makes a lot of sense as it bumps subscriber numbers and also justifies raising the Disney+ price sooner.

How many subscribers are Disney+ sitting at ATM? I assume because of the Pandemic, it has achieved higher than they estimated?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Adding an adult section to Disney+ to me makes me think they are nixing their plans also to launch Hulu outside of the USA. It also makes a lot of sense as it bumps subscriber numbers and also justifies raising the Disney+ price sooner.

How many subscribers are Disney+ sitting at ATM? I assume because of the Pandemic, it has achieved higher than they estimated?

The better sign that they're not going to launch Hulu outside the US is the recent announcement of launching a different streaming service called "Star" that will carry all the adult Disney content from Fox, FX, ABC, and more adult film catalogue.

Which is a better sign that D+ *won't* get an adult section.

Twilight_Roxas

Hopefully Disney+ could include the X-Files, The Gifted, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Modern Family, Black*Ish, How I met your mother, Cloak & Dagger, Bob’s Burgers, King of the Hill, and Futurama even if some are Adult shows.

Magic Crush Drop

The better sign that they're not going to launch Hulu outside the US is the recent announcement of launching a different streaming service called "Star" that will carry all the adult Disney content from Fox, FX, ABC, and more adult film catalogue.

Which is a better sign that D+ *won't* get an adult section.
We'll probably find out more at that presentation for this fall that Chapek talked about during Q3 earnings.
Sidebar: Does anyone know about when that is suppose to happen?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Mulan will leave Premier Access in December.

Indeed...

What is Premier Access?
Starting September 4, with Premier Access, you can watch Mulan before it's available to all Disney+ subscribers. Disney+ will offer Premier Access to Mulan for $29.99 on disneyplus.com and select platforms, including Apple, Google, and Roku. Once you have Premier Access to Mulan, you can watch as many times as you want on any platform where Disney+ is available. Your access to Mulan will continue as long as you are an active Disney+ subscriber.​

So... just like some of us have been saying: The premier price is just for early access and will hit D+ eventually at no extra cost.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Why anyone would purchase this beyond hype is dumbfounding.
Its the same reason why people pay full price to go see a movie on a late Thursday night opening weekend instead of waiting for the following Tuesday for $5 discount night. Its this same reason why all these "early access" options have done so well. There will always be people that will pay a premium to get the thrill of seeing a film before everyone else.

Jedijax719

People see movies in the theater to be able to see it with the theater experience, knowing it will not be the same at home. What we see with Mulan in September will be the same as what we see in December. It's a matter of how long someone is willing to wait.

For Mulan it will be very interesting to see how this plays out. I can see the premier access being a huge hit with something like Black Widow because Marvel fans want to see the movies immediately. With Mulan, I am not so sure. Seems like a great movie, but I am not sure if the target audience would respond the same way a target audience of a Marvel or Star Wars movie would respond.

doctornick

People see movies in the theater to be able to see it with the theater experience, knowing it will not be the same at home. What we see with Mulan in September will be the same as what we see in December. It's a matter of how long someone is willing to wait.

Everyone is different. Personally, I have never thought of the "theater experience" (in terms of sound, screen size, etc) as really being a big deal - not enough to justify the premium to watch a film in a theater. My main reason for going to see a movie in the theater would generally be to see it as early as possible - particularly big with films where I want to avoid any spoilers and enjoy it without preconceptions - so I totally get the idea of people paying for this when it comes out, especially for a family of multiple members where there is more value for the single price.

That said, I personally don't care enough about Mulan in particular to pay it. We'll just wait until it is on Disney+ for "free" But I absolutely would consider paying if, say, Black Widow were released this way.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Everyone is different. Personally, I have never thought of the "theater experience" (in terms of sound, screen size, etc) as really being a big deal - not enough to justify the premium to watch a film in a theater. My main reason for going to see a movie in the theater would generally be to see it as early as possible - particularly big with films where I want to avoid any spoilers and enjoy it without preconceptions - so I totally get the idea of people paying for this when it comes out, especially for a family of multiple members where there is more value for the single price.

That said, I personally don't care enough about Mulan in particular to pay it. We'll just wait until it is on Disney+ for "free" But I absolutely would consider paying if, say, Black Widow were released this way.
Exactly, you get the same experience if you see it Thursday night opening weekend or wait until the bargain Tuesday showing. Yet there so many that would rather pay for the more expensive Thursday night showing in order to see it first then wait until the bargain Tuesday showing.

The same thing with getting "Early Access", "Premier Access", or whatever they want to call it. Its the ability to see it before everyone else, which is appealing to many.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom