Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That further reinforces my point that some of this content should have been in production well before they actually did. They aimed to have no marque series available from January to August. That’s pretty shoddy planning.
And I get that is your opinion. But if anyone had been playing attention they announced their plan long before hand. So again it was a strategic business decision. You may not agree with it, maybe even jump up and down and say its the stupidest decision they've ever made (don't know if you feel that way, just making a point), but it was always the strategic decision to slowly build their content portfolio over time. So anyone buying into this platform should have known they weren't getting a bucket load of new content dropped the first 6 or so months. And I suspect most subs went in knowing this and accepted it.

Tony Perkis

And I get that is your opinion. But if anyone had been playing attention they announced their plan long before hand. So again it was a strategic business decision. You may not agree with it, maybe even jump up and down and say its the stupidest decision they've ever made (don't know if you feel that way, just making a point), but it was always the strategic decision to slowly build their content portfolio over time. So anyone buying into this platform should have known they weren't getting a bucket load of new content dropped the first 6 or so months. And I suspect most subs went in knowing this and accepted it.
Yes, we both agree it was a strategic decision.

I simply think it was a bad strategic decision.

J4546

it was only a matter of time before all the major companies do this. Movie theaters are great, but Id almost always rather watch a movie at home. I hope Disney makes a ton of money off Mulan and they do this with more of their new releases.

Darkprime

I wonder if they were debating between Mulan and The New Mutants going to Disney+? Remember that "fake" tv spot for TNM that had the September 4th release date on Disney+? Maybe they changed their minds at the last minute and went with Mulan?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I wonder if they were debating between Mulan and The New Mutants going to Disney+? Remember that "fake" tv spot for TNM that had the September 4th release date on Disney+? Maybe they changed their minds at the last minute and went with Mulan?
Could be, but I would expect Mutants to be pushed to D+ after a short run in open theaters.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Is the 29.99 really necessary? We’re already paying for Disney+.

Ordinarily, when you rent a movie for VoD, the movie has already gone through it theatrical window. So, you're in a lower tier window (theater > VoD > premier cable > regular cable & broadcast > DVD > included in streamers).

Mulan is still going into theaters as a premiere, but only in countries where the theaters are open. In places like the US where theaters are (mostly) not open, then the premiere will be VoD at $30.

For an ordinary movie, if you wait awhile after its release, it will move to a more affordable window, or be 'free' on your streaming service or included cable channel.

The same will be for Mulan. It will hit the other, more affordable windows, and then eventually be included in D+ for no extra fee.

Crossfire

Looks like the thread title will have to add 'Star' to it. Basically, it's going to be Hulu for international viewers, but also using Disney+'s technology.

Darkprime

Looks like the thread title will have to add 'Star' to it. Basically, it's going to be Hulu for international viewers, but also using Disney+'s technology.

Ah so thats why Hulu never launched internationally they were working on something else. Kinda makes sense I guess.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ah so thats why Hulu never launched internationally they were working on something else. Kinda makes sense I guess.

The problem with Hulu international was always that Hulu also provided live broadcast/cable networks and content from third parties. The licensing in all the different countries was the stickler keeping Hulu from going international.

So, this seems like the easy way: Take Hulu, remove live channel streaming, remove third party products. Now it can go international with just the library that Disney owns. But since it's so different from Hulu, and Hulu isn't an international brand, then rename it: Star.

doctornick

New Mutants doesn't seem like something appropriate for Disney+. I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up on on VOD (in fact, I think that's far more likely than it ever being released in theaters) but I would expect it to either go on Hulu in some way or through more traditional VOD offerings.

BrianLo

I wonder which way Canada will go branding wise. The content is pretty fractured amongst licensing partners and Hulu does actually hold some brand recognition here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom