Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Tony Perkis

And that was what was happening until you know this global pandemic shutdown all productions. They are starting to slowly ramp up again, so the plan just got delayed a little bit.

Everyone seems to forget it took Netflix YEARS to get to this point, not a couple months. So I don't know why anyone expected Disney to do it overnight. They are far ahead of where Netflix was when it started streaming.
I don’t think that’s a proper comparison. Netflix basically made the streaming industry. It was the first to recognize physical media wasn’t a sustainable business model and made the rules on its own. It changed the entertainment industry with its original content. It created the landscape.

Disney knew the landscape and launched with minimal original content. They had a successful launch on a technical and subscription level, but they should have had the foresight to have more in the pipeline early on.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t think that’s a proper comparison. Netflix basically made the streaming industry. It was the first to recognize physical media wasn’t a sustainable business model and made the rules on its own. It changed the entertainment industry with its original content. It created the landscape.

Disney knew the landscape and launched with minimal original content. They had a successful launch on a technical and subscription level, but they should have had the foresight to have more in the pipeline early on.
If its not a proper comparison, then Netflix vs Disney overall is not a proper comparison. If you can't compare timelines then you can't compare the overall landscape, sorry. Disney will push more content to D+, Hulu, and ESPN+ over time. Its a marathon, not a sprint.

The question is how much. 2-3 prominent shows between now and winter is not enough.
Says who? You? Eventually Netfilx will run out of shows just like everyone else. It'll have a period, very soon I suspect, where it won't have anything new because its pipeline will be dry. And then everyone will be complaining about Netflix while D+/Hulu/ESPN+ is releasing new content weekly. It'll take Netflix 6+ months to get back up their pipeline, if not more, I suspect in 2021.

Archie123

The problem I see is this binge culture we have now with streaming. If Disney had released something right away it would have been consumed immediately, and then nothing available. Its better in the long run if Disney slowly releases content to build up anticipation, which is exactly what they are doing. This is my opinion at least, but Disney is doing it right.

They have released one highly anticipated show. The rest is average at best. I’m not saying it’s a bust but D+ has been underwhelming with original content.

Tony Perkis

If its not a proper comparison, then Netflix vs Disney overall is not a proper comparison. If you can't compare timelines then you can't compare the overall landscape, sorry. Disney will push more content to D+, Hulu, and ESPN+ over time. Its a marathon, not a sprint.

Shocker, services providing more content collectively.

On its own, which is a valid comparison because it is being sold independently, Disney+ has a content problem currently.

Says who? You?

Yes. Amongst others. Without a continual flow of original content, monthly subscription renewals become less likely.

WhichEventually Netfilx will run out of shows just like everyone else. It'll have a period, very soon I suspect, where it won't have anything new because its pipeline will be dry. And then everyone will be complaining about Netflix while D+/Hulu/ESPN+ is releasing new content weekly. It'll take Netflix 6+ months to get back up their pipeline, if not more, I suspect in 2021.
[/QUOTE]

Which is why Netflix’s stranglehold on comedy routines is a huge outlet for original content.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Shocker, services providing more content collectively.
Shocker, Disney being berated by you for not having 100s of original shows right out of the gate.

On its own, which is a valid comparison because it is being sold independently, Disney+ has a content problem currently.
And again that will change over time.

Yes. Amongst others. Without a continual flow of original content, monthly subscription renewals become less likely.
And it takes time to get that continual flow, its not overnight. Netflix took almost a decade to get to this point. It would have taken Disney a lead time of 2-5 years to get a pipeline up to equal to Netflix. Which is why a comparison is not realistic for D+ vs Netflix. Its the bundle of D+/Hulu that is the better comparison.

It takes time but they are rapidly greenlighting content, and I think Disney is ahead of even its own internal timeline.

Which is why Netflix’s stranglehold on comedy routines is a huge outlet for original content.
Something that took Netflix approx. 10 years to get to.

Tony Perkis

Shocker, Disney being berated by you for not having 100s of original shows right out of the gate.

And again that will change over time.

And it takes time to get that continual flow, its not overnight. Netflix took almost a decade to get to this point. It would have taken Disney a lead time of 2-5 years to get a pipeline up to equal to Netflix. Which is why a comparison is not realistic for D+ vs Netflix. Its the bundle of D+/Hulu that is the better comparison.

It takes time but they are rapidly greenlighting content, and I think Disney is ahead of even its own internal timeline.

Something that took Netflix approx. 10 years to get to.
Consistently ignoring a problem Disney currently has by insisting that it won’t be a problem in the future bypasses the fact that its criticisms are meant to be a reflection of the service today. Outlooks will change, but that doesn’t absolve it from its current issues.

”It’s not bad now because it won’t be bad later” is an interesting strategy.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Consistently ignoring a problem Disney currently has by insisting that it won’t be a problem in the future bypasses the fact that its criticisms are meant to be a reflection of the service today. Outlooks will change, but that doesn’t absolve it from its current issues.

”It’s not bad now because it won’t be bad later” is an interesting strategy.
Interesting criticism, expect any streaming provider to have 100s of original programs ready to go on day one.

Tell me, which streaming service has had this in the history of steaming? I'm asking a serious question, because I don't know of any. Which then begs the question, if none have had it then why is it expected of Disney?

doctornick

I'm still surprised that they didn't have "What If..." ready to go this year. Not only would it have been easier to complete as an animated product that used different cast each episode, but it was announced a while ago. Not only should it have been planned to be ready earlier than it is, but it's something that should have been kicked into overdrive once the pandemic hit since it could still be "filmed" in this environment. It's not like they needed a full season ready to go, they could just have done like 6 episodes or something to at least get some original Marvel content on the service quicker.

Tony Perkis

Interesting criticism, expect any streaming provider to have 100s of original programs ready to go on day one.

Tell me, which streaming service has had this in the history of steaming? I'm asking a serious question, because I don't know of any. Which then begs the question, if none have had it then why is it expected of Disney?
I didn’t say I expected them to have 100s of original programs on day 1.

You did.

Disney came into the streaming business late in the game. They knew what the competitive advantage was for streamers, and they didn’t adequately prepare this facet of their service prior to launch. It may likely fix itself over time, but it’s still a problem today.

The fact that you think Disney+ is above this particular criticism is perplexing, to say the least.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

You did.
This is what has been alluded to in this conversation. I never expected them to have anything more than what they announced long before launch.

Disney came into the streaming business late in the game. They knew what the competitive advantage was for streamers, and they didn’t adequately prepare this facet of their service prior to launch. It may likely fix itself over time, but it’s still a problem today.
Didn't prepare or made a strategic business decision to release things slowly and build over time? You may not agree with their decision but it was a strategic business decision nonetheless. They've chosen to play the long game.

The fact that you think Disney+ is above this particular criticism is perplexing, to say the least.
I think you've got the wrong opinion of me here. I'm not saying D+ is above criticism, but there are two sides to this. Do I personally think D+ needs more content, 10000000% yes, because I want to consume more Disney content. But then I put on my business hat and know that you have to grow content slowly. Otherwise the "bingers" will run out of content long before you have a chance to get to round 2. So I see both sides of it, I just happen to lean to the business side of growth over time.

insideguy

You did.

? What do you mean they didn't adequately prepare? They said exactly what was going to be release and the pandemic pushed much of that back. They didn't know a pandemic was going to happen

insideguy

Of course it will but until then their launch has been pretty weak at best. Sorry but no way to spin it otherwise.
So you are saying they should have had a bunch of shows filmed and in the can at launch? Wouldn't those shows already all been shown by now so there wouldn't be new shows regardless? I mean say they would have had a marvel show ready in Dec. Well the 6 or 8 episodes would have been done by Feb. I mean I guess you guys are saying they should have filmed like 10 shows and then had them ready to roll, then staggered them from that point across the spring and summer. I don't know if any service works like this. I mean I guess they could have had a bunch of stuff available up front I can see that argument. But then they would have delayed the start. I mean they got a lot of subscribers regardless.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here are the original D+ content:

Not earth-shattering, but it's not nothing. Also, doesn't include content developed apart from Disney, but is exclusive to D+, like Hamilton and Black is King.

New-ish tittles are all the Disney movies (including Pixar, Marvel, and LucasFilms) that came out last year and were skipping other streamers to be on D+ exclusively. I hear some of those movies are quite popular.

Not to mention all the Disney and Fox properties which once were on other carriers, but are reverting to D+ including family-friendly Fox films.

The "what's new on D+" list for each month is not meager. But it does include a lot of stuff already seen in theaters and stuff that adults may not be interested in.

Archie123

So you are saying they should have had a bunch of shows filmed and in the can at launch? Wouldn't those shows already all been shown by now so there wouldn't be new shows regardless? I mean say they would have had a marvel show ready in Dec. Well the 6 or 8 episodes would have been done by Feb. I mean I guess you guys are saying they should have filmed like 10 shows and then had them ready to roll, then staggered them from that point across the spring and summer. I don't know if any service works like this. I mean I guess they could have had a bunch of stuff available up front I can see that argument. But then they would have delayed the start. I mean they got a lot of subscribers regardless.

One highly anticipated show released in almost nine months since launching is pretty sad. And yes no one anticipated a pandemic. But if you thinK otherwise than more power to ya.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom