Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
One highly anticipated show released in almost nine months since launching is pretty sad.
I think this is where things breakdown in your argument. Yes D+ should have had more "new" content ready to go at launch, how much new content is debatable, but I'll agree some more should have been available. But to say that only Mandalorian was the "highly anticipated" show is false. The entire vault of Disney programs were "highly anticipated", especially those that had been locked up in the vault for years, or decades in some cases.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Here are the original D+ content:

Not earth-shattering, but it's not nothing. Also, doesn't include content developed apart from Disney, but is exclusive to D+, like Hamilton and Black is King.

New-ish tittles are all the Disney movies (including Pixar, Marvel, and LucasFilms) that came out last year and were skipping other streamers to be on D+ exclusively. I hear some of those movies are quite popular.

Not to mention all the Disney and Fox properties which once were on other carriers, but are reverting to D+ including family-friendly Fox films.

The "what's new on D+" list for each month is not meager. But it does include a lot of stuff already seen in theaters and stuff that adults may not be interested in.
Exactly, too many around here want to make it seem like D+ is void of content when its clearly not.

doctornick

Of course it will but until then their launch has been pretty weak at best. Sorry but no way to spin it otherwise.

I think their launch was totally fine as were the few months after. My take would be that they failed in not having more original programming ready to go in the 2-6 months after launch. If they were prepared for more stuff in that time frame, then the service wouldn’t seem as “stale” right now.

It’s insane to me that they didn’t have a Marvel series set to go by the first quarter of 2020.

Animaniac93-98

I think their launch was totally fine as were the few months after. My take would be that they failed in not having more original programming ready to go in the 2-6 months after launch.

That's what it noticed as well. They had a few big shows to launch, and then the next round of major releases at the time (like Falcon and the Winter Soldier) were 10 months away.

I think that's why they pushed the 1 and 3 year-subscriptions. They knew 6 months in, a lot of the stuff still wouldn't be ready.

insideguy

I think their launch was totally fine as were the few months after. My take would be that they failed in not having more original programming ready to go in the 2-6 months after launch. If they were prepared for more stuff in that time frame, then the service wouldn’t seem as “stale” right now.

It’s insane to me that they didn’t have a Marvel series set to go by the first quarter of 2020.
I don't really see what difference it makes at this point if they had one marvel series ready to go at launch. Ok you still have a pandemic in march. Having one marvel series in the can in November means by feb series is over. Your still at the point you are right now kept you had a marvel series. I don't think that makes any difference longterm at all. This is all 20/20 hindsight due to pandemic. Having one Marvel series ready at launch would have been cool no doubt. And you may have got some more initial subscribers. But heck they had like 10 million first week regardless. Oh well its a moot point. It didn't happen.

BrianLo

I ultimately agree, albeit because of the general affordable pricing right now I'm not too miffed about the launch year. The problem really came down to not having Marvel ready to go. It's funny that the second season of Mando is already in the can and they barely got a 6 episode Marvel series wrapped.

An event show should have launched in the Spring (and quite frankly another in the Summer).

BUT looking forward, I think they have the right idea. This is more of an aberration to the launch year. With the amount of content upcoming it seems like they'll almost always have a Star Wars/Marvel series airing weekly. Along with always having a fairly strong Disney tween tentpole.

I'd be upset IF the plan wasn't so overtly to have the content really ready to go by August non-stop (pre-COVID at least that was was the plan).

Archie123

I agree. I’d be fine if they waited a little but we are almost 9 months into D+ and their original content is a joke.

doctornick

I don't really see what difference it makes at this point if they had one marvel series ready to go at launch. Ok you still have a pandemic in march. Having one marvel series in the can in November means by feb series is over. Your still at the point you are right now kept you had a marvel series. I don't think that makes any difference longterm at all. This is all 20/20 hindsight due to pandemic. Having one Marvel series ready at launch would have been cool no doubt. And you may have got some more initial subscribers. But heck they had like 10 million first week regardless. Oh well its a moot point. It didn't happen.

Just to be clear: my point is not that there was any problems with their launch content. I thought it was perfectly fine especially given their extensive back catalogue. I think the inadequacy was in the lack of additional higher profile original content in the months afterward (e.g. the Jan to April timeframe) as a way to continue to drive and maintain subscriptions. I think a Marvel show would have been a no brainer but any short of high quality original content would have been good.

The pandemic and trouble with production has exacerbated this but it would have been softened if there had more well regarded exclusive content when the pandemic hit to “coast” on

Tony Perkis

? What do you mean they didn't adequately prepare? They said exactly what was going to be release and the pandemic pushed much of that back. They didn't know a pandemic was going to happen
Their preparation involves than some sort of “being caught off guard” mindset. That’s not what I’m referring to.

Their preparation should have allowed them to come to the conclusion that they should have anchored the service with a marque series or film per season. Ideally 4-5 over the course of the year early on.

They poorly planned for 1 in its first year. They lucked into Hamilton due to COVID-19 causing a theatrical release unlikely.

They had a band-aid together a 6 part documentary series about Frozen 2 because they were so deprived of original content. That series’s release should 100% validate any claims of poor original content and short-sided thinking in its first year.

Animaniac93-98

They had a band-aid together a 6 part documentary series about Frozen 2 because they were so deprived of original content. That series’s release should 100% validate any claims of poor original content and short-sided thinking in its first year.

I thought I read somewhere that this documentary was originally going to be released at the same time the movie was?

ElvisMickey

When The Liberty Story was uploaded, I had high hopes Johnny Treamin would be shortly after, in time for July 4. I saw it on TCM HD years ago and it looked great.

Still waiting.

THIS. I literally traded in my Johnny Tremain DVD thinking it was going to be on the + at some point. What the hell lol. Oh, and while we’re at it, The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band, please!

insideguy

When The Liberty Story was uploaded, I had high hopes Johnny Treamin would be shortly after, in time for July 4. I saw it on TCM HD years ago and it looked great.

Still waiting.
Oh I would love all this legacy stuff. I am sure there are pretty valid reasons for it not being released ( I don't know what those are). But ultimately I don't think the old stuff drives any subscriptions. Or any real numbers anyway.

insideguy

Their preparation involves than some sort of “being caught off guard” mindset. That’s not what I’m referring to.

Their preparation should have allowed them to come to the conclusion that they should have anchored the service with a marque series or film per season. Ideally 4-5 over the course of the year early on.

They poorly planned for 1 in its first year. They lucked into Hamilton due to COVID-19 causing a theatrical release unlikely.

True but in the end if Winter soldier gets released this week as planned then the rest of the marvel and Star Wars stuff( and other stuff) started pouring in over the next 9 months I don't think many people would have really cared or remembered the shallow spring and summer for new content. Lots of people talking about it now due to outside issues.

Tony Perkis

True but in the end if Winter soldier gets released this week as planned then the rest of the marvel and Star Wars stuff( and other stuff) started pouring in over the next 9 months I don't think many people would have really cared or remembered the shallow spring and summer for new content. Lots of people talking about it now due to outside issues.
Falcon and the Winter Soldier is not going to be released this week. Nor this month.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Falcon and the Winter Soldier is not going to be released this week. Nor this month.
It originally was scheduled to, I think that was the point the poster was trying to make. That had F&WS and W/V been released as originally intended all this talk about "no content" would have died down and been moot. But then the world changed, and we are where we are now.

Tony Perkis

It originally was scheduled to, I think that was the point the poster was trying to make. That had F&WS and W/V been released as originally intended all this talk about "no content" would have died down and been moot. But then the world changed, and we are where we are now.
That further reinforces my point that some of this content should have been in production well before they actually did. They aimed to have no marque series available from January to August. That’s pretty shoddy planning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom