Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Minthorne

I’ll be signing up but someone please tell me it’s not $6.99 a month the first year then once I’m hooked it’s $18.99 the second year with increases every 6 months after that. And then they close Horizons...

On another thought - any chance that resort TVs start having Disney+ streaming?

brb1006

I will die of happiness if Disney revived "The House Of Mouse" on Disney+ complete with newer episodes and picks off around 18/19 years after The House Of Mouse Closed (2002 which was when the show got cancelled). If "Clone Wars" was able to get a new season. Then The House Of Mouse would really deserve this treatment.

brb1006

D37KdqlXsAACf8v.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I’ll be signing up but someone please tell me it’s not $6.99 a month the first year then once I’m hooked it’s $18.99 the second year with increases every 6 months after that. And then they close Horizons...

On another thought - any chance that resort TVs start having Disney+ streaming?

I think streaming competition will keep it low.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Great price point. I love you can buy a year for even less. New Marvel and Star Wars shows are an easy sell for me.

Have they announced if this will be in 4K or not?

They specifically said the Marvel movies would be 4K HDR, so, it has the capabilities.

Whether the older content can be at that level of resolution, or, be remastered to be that level is unknown.

Lucky Rabbit

They specifically said the Marvel movies would be 4K HDR, so, it has the capabilities.

Whether the older content can be at that level of resolution, or, be remastered to be that level is unknown.
I’m in either way but if they make all this content 4K they are going to be a powerhouse. Since I made that post I saw a story mentioning you’ll be able to download movies for offline viewing that won’t expire as long as your subscription remains active.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
What We Learned From the Investors Meeting Presentation: Disney +

Pricing

• $7/mo ad free ($70 for the year, which is $5.83/mo)
  • will be bundled with Hulu and/or ESPN+, but no pricing announced

Service
  • Begins Nov 12, 20119 in North America (and Western Europe and Asia, I think). Latin America and Eastern Europe a year later.
  • 4K HDR when available
  • all content downloadable as long as you have a subscription
  • separate interfaces for TV, tablet, and mobile
  • the app is ready to go on Roku and PS4… will be on more
Content Sources
  • Disney Animation, Disney Studios, Disney Channels, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars (LucasFilm)
  • Fox’s family-friendly content will be on D+
    • all Simpsons episodes
    • Malcom in the Middle
    • Sound of Music / Hello Dolly
  • basically, any family-friendly content produced by any of the film or TV studios owned by Disney
    • Fox's general audience (i.e., not family friendly content) goes to Hulu
  • note that "LucasFilm" is not being promoted as a brand, but, instead, "Star Wars" is used... wonder how that will affect the Indiana Jones franchise resurrection?
  • Disney is touting big name actors, directors, and producers who will make Original Content for Hulu and D+. They seem to want to get the point that this is not just “TV” which is normally seen as an inferior medium to cinema. (But, that stereotype has already been broken by award winning series and movies made for HBO, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.)
  • It will take about four years for all of Disney and Fox licenses with other parties to expire and come home to roost on D+/Hulu. In the meantime, Disney has been buying out some licenses (probably the ones that had no expiration or automatic renewals).
  • Pixar:
    • 18 films immediately available, two will have their license with a third party expire later in the year (Coco leaves Netflix 11/29/2019 and Incredibles 2 leaves Netflix 07/20/2020), and the new one (TS4) will go to D+
    • new Pixar content for D+
      • Forky Asks a Question (ten shorts)
      • Bo Peep short
      • Monsters, Inc series: Monsters at Work
      • documentaries on Pixar
  • Marvel
    • in year one, Captain Marvel and Endgame and a few of the earliest MCU
    • the rest of the MCU movies will have to wait until 3rd party licenses expire
    • no mention of the Netflix Marvel series (the Defenders)
    • New MUC series (all canon and related to Phase 4)
      • Wandavision (Wanda and the Vision) (picture shown to audience which could not see)
      • Falcon and Winter Soldier
      • MCU animated "What If" ... Peggy Carter became the super soldier, and if Steve became Iron Man
      • Loki
      • [no mention of recently announced Hawkeye series]
  • Star Wars
    • in year 1, 8 films to start with, then 2 more in the first year when their 3rd party license expires (TLJ leaves Netflix 01/26/2020
      Solo leaves Netflix 07/9/2020), then the new Episode
    • new Star Wars content for D+ (all canon)
      • The Mandalorian available at launch
      • show based on Cassein (Rogue One prequel)
      • last season of Clone Wars animated series
      • documentaries on SW
  • Disney Studios
    • many of the Disney live movies will be available, but no mention of how much if even all of them
    • new Live Action shows produced by Disney Studios for D+
      • Noelle (Santa's daughter saves Christmas!)
      • Timmy Failure (based on book)
      • Stargirl
      • Togo (true life Alaskan story)
      • Lady and the Tramp
  • Disney Animation
    • all the Disney movies (with a few notorious exceptions) are expected to be on D+, even the ones normally in "the vault"
    • no mention of all the old Mickey animated shorts, but, one would expect them to be there, especially since they've been in heavy rotation on the Disney channels, which are giving their library to D+
  • NatGeo
    • “the best of our programming will be available on day one” – umm… so not all then?
    • new NatGeo shows made for D+
      • The World According to Jeff Goldblum
      • Epcot's Seabase and DAK background documentaries "Magic of the Animal Kingdom" on care for animals and preservation
  • Disney Channel
    • current content
    • Massive library will be made available from day 1
    • 5,000 episodes of Disney Channel and Disney Jr.
    • 100 original movies "D-coms."
    • new content made for D+
      • Phineas & Ferb movie
      • High School Musical the Musical the Series (a musical within a musical within a musical)
The other streamers
  • ESPN+
    • $5/mo with ads ($50 for the year, which is $4.15/mo)
    • upcharge pay per views
  • Hulu
    • $6/mo with ads
    • $12/mo ad free
    • $45/mo for live TV (Digital Multichannel Video Programming Distributor)
  • hotstar
    • serves India in 8 Indian languages
    • has one quarter of TV/video market
    • 250 days of live sports (cricket being the top draw)
    • 300M active users
    • available in India, US, & Canada

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

The big mystery: What did Disney offer to Turner to get back its Star Wars distribution...

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

Indy_UK

Fairly happy with what Disney has showed off.

I like the app, seems simple and tells you what your getting in each section. $7 with 4K HDR and unlimited downloads is insane value.

What I'll probabaly do is move to the Ad Free version of Hulu once Disney + launches and hopefully get both for $15 or less.

I'm a Little concerned by the initial content from the library going to the vault. I saw 20,000 leagues on the wall, so I hope that confirms that Disney will be pushing to get the old live action movies on the service.

Marvel has got a bad deal in all of this. I can't believe how lacking their initial offering is. Who else has the streaming rights?

For me it's all about the back catalog that appeals to me initially but I'm happy to wait if it means they are all updated to 4K.

Darkprime

So re the marvel movies. USA Network has a deal to broadcast the avengers.TNT has the rights to AoU, Ant-Man, CA: CW, Doctor Strange, and GOTG Vol 2.

The odd thing about the deal is they couldn't show the films until 2 years after their release date, which means GOTG Vol 2 has yet to become available for them.

Theres also speculation Disney traded some streaming marvel rights to Turner in part of its deal to buy back the star wars rights it had.

SteveV

We subscribe to DisneyLife in the UK. Started by paying £9.99 a month which was then cut to £4.99 a month and has stayed at that price ever since.
The app is brilliant. Download content to use offline eg on a plane, in the car; watch by streaming at home, any content from any channel available in the uk. My one criticism would be that the search and indexing features aren’t the best so you can easily miss a lot of what is available. I also think that an adult needs to help children navigate their way through the app.
But we will happily all sit there watching different Disney content on different devices and there is something for each of us. I highly recommend!

winstongator

I think streaming competition will keep it low.
I saw an article that referred to the "streaming war". Business wars like that often focus on price - I'm thinking the fare wars with airlines. I'm not sure how much of a difference on behavior $5.99 would have vs. $6.99. I pay a lot more for stand-alone HBO & Showtime, which has me thinking about them.

LSLS

Interested, but considering how Disney Now (and even Hulu to an extent) opperate, I'm not all in yet. They need to show me they have worked a lot of the bugs out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom