Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Tony Perkis

As expected, Hulu get redesigned interface to unify it with D+ and ESPN+:

I still see Hulu and D+ merging at some point. I know people don't want to believe it because of the "Disney" brand or whatever, but its looking more and more like that is going to happen.
Not happening. You can’t merge Forky shorts with It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It’s pretty clear that she means Disney taking over all of the company’s branding.
It wouldn't be under the "Disney" brand, it would still be under the Hulu brand even under a combined Hulu and D+.

Not happening. You can’t merge Forky shorts with It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Not going to go down this rabbit hole of a discussion with you again. I'm happy you have this opinion, and respect that you have it. I have a different one so please respect mine. As time goes by its becoming clear that a unified service is in the future for Hulu and D+.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Katelynbird

By the way if Disney was really worried about its brand image as you seem to think they are with having Hulu merged with D+. Then they wouldn't be marketing it as the "Disney Bundle" for the bundle of Hulu, D+, ESPN+:

I agree with that and I suppose if people purchased it as a bundle and they have young children there might be an option to block certain content on Hulu if the parents want to. I am 19 and it is just myself and my mom so it doesn't come into play for us so I really haven't looked into that.

Tony Perkis

By the way if Disney was really worried about its brand image as you seem to think they are with having Hulu merged with D+. Then they wouldn't be marketing it as the "Disney Bundle" for the bundle of Hulu, D+, ESPN+:

They’re bundling the three apps because they’re the primary owners of all three and it presents itself as a good, all-encompassing cord cutting marketing strategy.

The fact that they’re pushing three distinctive apps with three distinctive purposes in that ad campaign would actually reinforce my position. They’re educating their potential clientele that these are separate applications, not that it’s one big app. That’d be a pretty drastic pivot three years from now.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree with that and I suppose if people purchased it as a bundle and they have young children there might be an option to block certain content on Hulu if the parents want to. I am 19 and it is just myself and my mom so it doesn't come into play for us so I really haven't looked into that.
Currently as of today, the isn't an actual single service. Its still three different services, just under a single bundled price if you choose to purchase it this way.

My point is that Disney is now actively marketing Hulu as one of its "Disney Streaming" services. So this idea that Hulu is separate and independent is gone. Hulu is Disney, Disney is Hulu, they are one company. So this idea that Hulu and Disney+ content can't live under the same roof is an outdated concept that even Disney themselves is moving away from.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They’re bundling the three apps because they’re the primary owners of all three and it presents itself as a good, all-encompassing cord cutting marketing strategy.

The fact that they’re pushing three distinctive apps with three distinctive purposes in that ad campaign would actually reinforce my position. They’re educating their potential clientele that these are separate applications, not that it’s one big app. That’d be a pretty drastic pivot three years from now.
They are pushing three distinctive apps today because that is what they have. The ad campaign is a dramatic shift in marketing of Hulu as previously they wouldn't have marketed under Disney. But now that has all changed, Hulu is now going to be tied to the Disney brand whether people like it or not. That is how Disney is marketing it plain and simple. This idea that Hulu and Disney+ content can't live under the same roof is an outdated concept that even Disney themselves is moving away from as shown by this marketing campaign.

Katelynbird

Currently as of today, the isn't an actual single service. Its still three different services, just under a single bundled price if you choose to purchase it this way.

My point is that Disney is now actively marketing Hulu as one of its "Disney Streaming" services. So this idea that Hulu is separate and independent is gone. Hulu is Disney, Disney is Hulu, they are one company. So this idea that Hulu and Disney+ content can't live under the same roof is an outdated concept that even Disney themselves is moving away from.
To be honest with you, I do not have a problem with Hulu and Disney+ content living under the same roof. I can however see families that would and they may lose some business. In the long run I really don't think this is going to hurt Disney though.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
To be honest with you, I do not have a problem with Hulu and Disney+ content living under the same roof. I can however see families that would and they may lose some business. In the long run I really don't think this is going to hurt Disney though.
Agreed. If and when it happens some purists will complain and may even stop using the services. But overall I see it as a gain for both Disney and consumers. Again that is if and when it happens. Still not guaranteed it'll happen, just my open personal theory on the future of Disney Streaming. But I know that others believe it'll happen eventually as well.

BrianLo

The Handmaid's Tale would be out the window on Hulu if Disney took over that is for darn sure.

The Handmaid's Tale was featured in Hulu's booth at D23 Expo last summer.

It's never going to become "Disney's The Handmaid's Tale" of course. Hulu is a strong brand and helps differentiate content expectations. But I also strongly think the blurring of the line will continually occur as it already has.

Katelynbird

The Handmaid's Tale was featured in Hulu's booth at D23 Expo last summer.

It's never going to become "Disney's The Handmaid's Tale" of course. Hulu is a strong brand and helps differentiate content expectations. But I also strongly think the blurring of the line will continually occur as it already has.
I can see them working under the same streaming app, but to make this work correctly for all sorts of families there is going to have to be some sort of blocking type thing for shows such as "The Handmaid's Tale" so very young viewers just don't stumble upon it. Like I said there might be something already in place for that, but I haven't explored that because I don't need those censors. It is just me and my mom and I am 19 so it is nothing that we worry about. I can see other families having to worry about it though.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I can see them working under the same streaming app, but to make this work correctly for all sorts of families there is going to have to be some sort of blocking type thing for shows such as "The Handmaid's Tale" so very young viewers just don't stumble upon it. Like I said there might be something already in place for that, but I haven't explored that because I don't need those censors. It is just me and my mom and I am 19 so it is nothing that we worry about. I can see other families having to worry about it though.

both Hulu and Disney+ allow you to set up profiles for children. For those profiles, the content is adjusted.

BrianLo

I should clarify since I was part of the blurring discussion. In no world do I think Hulu will go away as a brand. Shows will not stop being designated as Hulu or Disney. That's what provides people the easiest road to delineate between content.

I also think there was some great points already made that apps would never merge as it causes bloat.

But the cross-promotion that Hulu is a "Disney sub-brand" of more adult content has begun. The public will learn that Disney produces excellent family content and they also produce excellent mature content via their Hulu brand.

What will be interesting is how they eventually decide to group together the sub-sub brands. Even if Logan and Deadpool remain Hulu branded, an X-men collection eventually should be able to direct a viewer to the full filmography. If they are of the appropriate age for said content.

I'd like to see R-Rated Marvel content find permission to still be made under the Hulu label.

Katelynbird

I should clarify since I was part of the blurring discussion. In no world do I think Hulu will go away as a brand. Shows will not stop being designated as Hulu or Disney. That's what provides people the easiest road to delineate between content.

I also think there was some great points already made that apps would never merge as it causes bloat.

But the cross-promotion that Hulu is a "Disney sub-brand" of more adult content has begun. The public will learn that Disney produces excellent family content and they also produce excellent mature content via their Hulu brand.

What will be interesting is how they eventually decide to group together the sub-sub brands. Even if Logan and Deadpool remain Hulu branded, an X-men collection eventually should be able to direct a viewer to the full filmography. If they are of the appropriate age for said content.

I'd like to see R-Rated Marvel content find permission to still be made under the Hulu label.
Very well said.

Tony Perkis

On top of that, there’s the pricing disparity. Do I pay only for the Disney+ portion? The Hulu portion? Both at a reduced combined cost? Do they even offer a single price point based on the content and just require you all or nothing? What about a live TV add on, which includes Disney competitors?

There is logistically no way to cleanly combine services into a singular app without creating confusion that simple doesn‘t exist in any meaningful way today in its current iteration.

Last edited:

Katelynbird

On top of that, there’s the pricing disparity. Do I pay only for the Disney+ portion? The Hulu portion? Both at a reduced combined cost? Do they even offer a single price point based on the content and just require you all or nothing? What about a live TV add on, which includes Disney competitors?

There is logistically no way to cleanly combined services into a singular app without creating confusion that simple doesn‘t exist in any meaningful today in its current iteration.
My mom got the combo deal with Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ . It just worked for mom and I because we like original movie and TV material, I am really into sports even though during this virus it has been lacking, and of course Disney material was a must for both me and mom. It just worked with that deal.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Aside from the nature of the content, there's another reason why Hulu sort of has to remain separate: It is a Live Broadcast TV Streamer.

Hulu carries not just Disney content, but content from competitors that Disney has no control over, and it can be streamed live. Never mind Fox's library of R-rated films, you now have Disney's Hulu carrying TV-Mature content including channels and shows whose politics and lifestyle Disney would not want to be associated with even more so that a theatrical film with R content for the sake of cinematic art.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom