Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Slpy3270

So, after opening hours problems, looks like they're getting a handle on it. This comports with my experience that at around 1 PM ET, things started working normally.

View attachment 425130

Spoke too soon. The outages are flaring up again. Can't access it on my Samsung phone or smart TV.

Obviously this means two things: 1) the issues have not been fixed and 2) this looks like a much deeper problem with the server hardware that won't take a day to fix.

Disney clearly dropped the ball here and it's only going to get much worse until something gets done.

MuteSuperstar

Older Simpsons episodes are cropped to fit 16:9 displays. Yuck.

At least I have most of the good seasons on DVD.

Yuck indeed. Are they doing this with the classic shorts, True Life Adventures etc too? Glad I have all this stuff on DVD and in my personal streaming library. Simpsons seasons 1-12 is about all I really need anyway.

Animaniac93-98

Spoke too soon. The outages are flaring up again. Can't access it on my Samsung phone or smart TV.

Tried watching Mandalorian and the Spark Shorts now and the bu..ff..e...r..ing is re..al..ly...bad.

But I was able to download Mandalorian using the app so that's working.

It's Prime Time on the East Coast now. Everyone is getting home from work and wants to watch.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
The FX Now app would let you at choose 16:9 vs. 4:3. Disney, at the very least, needs to adopt this philosophy ASAP. That’s an unacceptable oversight.

We can hope....

In the meantime...

1573606447605.png

I've already sent them a message that they left out the new Pixar Sparks short from their Pixar Shorts category. 👍

Tanna Eros

Some gems there. Couldnt find some things I really wanted to introduce my kids / grandson to....wdwwoc episodes like swamp fox, the scarecrow of romney marsh and.old movies like the happiest millionaire and the moonspinners,.
A might skimpy on the park ranger and bears cartoons, but I'm wondering if they are going change out different things every month as they go. There's such a plethora of stuff, I'm not crying, though. I Loved! the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh as a kid, I'd love to see it again.

Tanna Eros

The wife is having trouble as well and has been blowing my phone up all morning. I think she assumes that I can make a couple of calls and have a gigabit of bandwidth from Disney + dedicated to our house. ;)
My desktop, (Ten year old Mac, btw) is getting the "Error Code 83" signal, but I'm not calling on that- my TV and iPad is chugging along fine.
I need to splash out on a new computer, anyway, and that man I married has a line-up of D+ shows he wants to see large.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Even Google and Amazon have issues from time to time. I know I am not the only one to see this screen nearly every Prime day. :)

4E53219100000578-5960171-image-a-50_1531771884534.jpg

Obviously this means two things: 1) the issues have not been fixed and 2) this looks like a much deeper problem with the server hardware that won't take a day to fix.

Disney clearly dropped the ball here and it's only going to get much worse until something gets done.
🙄

flynnibus

Premium Member

Slowdowns at 7pm etc are just signs of the usage patterns as people start coming off work and the evening TV crowd starts to tune in. The 7-9pm local time is a huge surge period for streaming providers. Add in the west coast coming off work, etc.. This is all just the 'second wave' of peak demand for the day.

Meh... 'server hardware' is a misnomer these days. All of this would be implemented with virtualization tech... and most of which would scale horizontally by just opening up the faucet. The issue is likely as I mentioned before... bottlenecks at points like authentication and integrations. Time to resolution depends greatly on just how much stuff is in their control and which elements can be easily decoupled to scale enmass.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The FX Now app would let you at choose 16:9 vs. 4:3. Disney, at the very least, needs to adopt this philosophy ASAP. That’s an unacceptable oversight.

It was something they added back after the blowback the first time FX did it... I would expect the same kind of tweaks later on (vs day 1 features)

BrianLo

Fun watching footage of opening day Disneyland and transiting to the doom and gloom over a few hours of sporadic issues on this thread.

(Albeit I’ve had no problems).

Joking aside, if anyone isn’t interested in this service, you probably aren’t interested in Disney content. Other than perhaps not having a day one Marvel show, there’s pretty much something watching of value in their originals and back catalogue for everyone.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yuck indeed. Are they doing this with the classic shorts, True Life Adventures etc too? Glad I have all this stuff on DVD and in my personal streaming library. Simpsons seasons 1-12 is about all I really need anyway.

This is a carry-over from what Fox did when they 'enhanced' the early Simpsons episodes for when they first put them online with FX. It doesn't have anything to do with Disney+ except for them failing to offer the originals and the 'enhanced' ones as an optional view.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If that was an excuse, Netflix and Amazon Prime would be dealing with outtages every day in prime time.

And if you go back to the period where Verizon and Comcast were fighting the content providers.. you'd see the same exact pattern. This is a peak period of use for online video.

Animaniac93-98

Disney+ has the "Trivia and Treats" edition of Hocus Pocus that was released to Blu-ray last year, but I didn't get.

It's a picture-in-picture option with archival interviews, deleted scenes, concept art, etc. Great to see it included.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom