Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Tony the Tigger

It’s a “day ending in Y”, isn’t it?😎

But seriously…it’s not really a Disney specific criticism as much of how quickly the old guard decided they needed their 20th century back…

The counter is “aha!!! that was linear”

But digital on demand has been around for a long time. A lot of the appeal of the stream was dropping the disjointed ad format.

They’re gonna learn quickly…ads are not gonna create “cable 2.0”…and nobody ever really wanted to pay for cable. So it will be again
I’ll put it this way: I’d much prefer if I could add Disney+ to my DirecTV package rather than use the standalone service. Ditto Paramount, Peacock, blah blah blah. But I’m old.

Ayla

Aren’t you salty today? No. Not basically cable. See, “cable” is linear TV—what’s broadcasting on a channel is what you can watch right now. Streaming, on the other hand, is a service that allows you to watch any movie or show on-demand.

It’d be more like having to cancel Comcast to switch to Spectrum because Comcast doesn’t carry the shows you like.

But you already knew the difference, you were just being, well, grumpy.
I have cable and pay less per month than the Disney bundle. I also have a ton of "on demand" choices through my cable carrier.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ll put it this way: I’d much prefer if I could add Disney+ to my DirecTV package rather than use the standalone service. Ditto Paramount, Peacock, blah blah blah. But I’m old.
And that’s the issue…

They all want to be independent to be “unencumbered” by packagers and service fees/bundles/etc…

But they all will push to get a nice stand-alone fee for it. So when 3 streaming services want $90 a month…the customer will revolt and “beam cut”

There just isn’t that much money in these formats.

Last edited:

_caleb

And that’s the issue…

They all want to be independent to be “unencumbered” by packagers and service fees/bundles/etc…

But they all will push to get a nice stand-alone feel for it. So when 3 streaming services want $90 a month…the customer will revolt and “beam cut”

There just isn’t that much money in these formats.
The difference between “movies,” “shows,” and “ads” is increasingly blurry these days. I think a path to profitability for D+ might be merch sales.

The consumer watches a film, and at the end, beside the credits, there’s a page of curated items inspired by the film that they can buy with a click. It’d be a way to go deeper with fandoms (which they’ve already indicated as a strategy).

If you liked the film, you can buy the t-shirt and related toys. You liked the hat the protagonist wore in the film’s second act? Click to purchase it. You like animals? Click here to book a family vacation package to Animal Kingdom.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The difference between “movies,” “shows,” and “ads” is increasingly blurry these days. I think a path to profitability for D+ might be merch sales.

The consumer watches a film, and at the end, beside the credits, there’s a page of curated items inspired by the film that they can buy with a click. It’d be a way to go deeper with fandoms (which they’ve already indicated as a strategy).

If you liked the film, you can buy the t-shirt and related toys. You liked the hat the protagonist wore in the film’s second act? Click to purchase it. You like animals? Click here to book a family vacation package to Animal Kingdom.
I think People know that Disney sells crap…

Are you suggesting subliminal suggestion?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One person’s “crap” is another person’s “film-accurate replica Han Solo blaster from The Empire Strikes Back reproduction for cosplay, collection, and display ($400).”
You know they figured this whole “licensing” thing out in the 70s…80s…90s…

…they do how a tad of experience in it.

My point is I think word on the street will allow the customers some idea of what they’re up too…ya know?

Nice idea…but by zero means an original here

_caleb

You know they figured this whole “licensing” thing out in the 70s…80s…90s…

…they do how a tad of experience in it.

My point is I think word on the street will allow the customers some idea of what they’re up too…ya know?

Nice idea…but by zero means an original here
Oh, I don’t think it’s original–it’s not my idea at all! Chapek hinted at this a few months ago:
Disney+ “will become a platform for consumer engagement with the Walt Disney Company, not just a movie service platform.”

They’ve already begun to connect D+ subscriptions to discounts and merch:

It’s not just licensed merch. I’m expecting a QV-like tab (maybe linking to a second screen) that users can open to purchase related products, but also things like clothing, decor, furniture, you name it. Disney is going to take full advantage of the open channel into our living rooms that their content gets us to give them.

Last edited:

doctornick

Seems like a natural thing at this point. Subscribe, binge, cancel, jump to a different service, repeat. What choice have we got, if each service has just a handful of good content and takes a while to produce more?
I feel like after price hikes and ad tiers, the next frontier for streams will be contracts for specified periods of time like 6-12 months and eliminating being able to subscribe for a month. Maybe monthly will survive but a much higher cost to make it not worthwhile.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I feel like after price hikes and ad tiers, the next frontier for streams will be contracts for specified periods of time like 6-12 months and eliminating being able to subscribe for a month. Maybe monthly will survive but a much higher cost to make it not worthwhile.
I agree, streamers will do something to combat churn whether it be term contracts or discounts for subs at longer terms, etc.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So basically cable?
But seriously…it’s not really a Disney specific criticism as much of how quickly the old guard decided they needed their 20th century back…

The counter is “aha!!! that was linear”

But digital on demand has been around for a long time. A lot of the appeal of the stream was dropping the disjointed ad format.

They’re gonna learn quickly…ads are not gonna create “cable 2.0”…and nobody ever really wanted to pay for cable. So it will be again

Honestly this should be no surprise. The moment studios got into the streaming business is the moment that they would begin to find a way to recoup the losses being felt by cord cutters with linear TV. And so yeah its going to end up similar to cable, I've said so for a long time now. There are already streaming aggregators that allow you to subscribe to other streamers through their service while still offering their own streaming service similar to how a cable company does, such as Amazon and Roku.

So yeah, a new idea just like the old idea but with a new outside and shine. Difference will be that instead you'll be more able to subscribe to different services a la cart, something that cable didn't offer.

Phroobar

That is ok. Disney+ is the first on my chopping list.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

TRAILER​

Disney+ has dropped the first trailer for its superhero-with-a-twist U.K. original “Extraordinary.”

In a world where everyone gets a superpower on their 18th birthday, Jen (played by Máiréad Tyers ) is a freak. Aged 25 she still doesn’t have even a hint of a superpower and is stuck in a dead-end job and flatshare while she tries to figure out her life. It doesn’t help that even her adopted cat Jizzlord has more powers than she does.

“Extraordinary” was produced by Charlie Palmer and executive produced by Disney+ VP for scripted content, Johanna Devereaux.

The eight-episode series, from “Killing Eve” producers Sid Gentle, drops Jan. 25

Disney Irish

Premium Member

TRAILER​

Disney+ has dropped the first trailer for its superhero-with-a-twist U.K. original “Extraordinary.”

In a world where everyone gets a superpower on their 18th birthday, Jen (played by Máiréad Tyers ) is a freak. Aged 25 she still doesn’t have even a hint of a superpower and is stuck in a dead-end job and flatshare while she tries to figure out her life. It doesn’t help that even her adopted cat Jizzlord has more powers than she does.

“Extraordinary” was produced by Charlie Palmer and executive produced by Disney+ VP for scripted content, Johanna Devereaux.

The eight-episode series, from “Killing Eve” producers Sid Gentle, drops Jan. 25

That looks pretty good. Similar type of story as Encanto, but interesting take on it. And that cat name, lol....

Disney Analyst

TRAILER​

Oh I like this, the vibes are fun! Glad Disney+ is getting into this style.

doctornick

TRAILER​

Is this on D+ in the USA or on Hulu? I was wonder if the Disney+ mention is specific for the UK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom