Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
He might have changed his mind on getting the whole Hulu with what’s going on, in terms of financial, at Disney.
Not likely as he was quoted saying this at the CM Town Hall last week:

“Nothing is forever, but I am very, very comfortable with each of the assets that we have”

Hulu is better long term for Disney than selling it. It gives Disney a huge subscriber base that allows it to complete with Netflix, Amazon, and other streaming services.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
I'd rather have Disney abort their Hulu takeover and sell their Fox assets, so they can have enough money to buy Candle Media and make Staggs and Meyer the new CEOs of Disney. (Basically Eisner/Wells 2.0; Moonbug and Hello Sunshine would be spun off.)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'd rather have Disney abort their Hulu takeover and sell their Fox assets, so they can have enough money to buy Candle Media and make Staggs and Meyer the new CEOs of Disney. (Basically Eisner/Wells 2.0; Moonbug and Hello Sunshine would be spun off.)
Not that Disney needs Candle Media, but its a rather small company only worth about $7B. Disney doesn't need to sell Hulu or Fox in order to buy it, if they wanted it. They have the cash on-hand to do, or given Disney's current market valuation of $168B they can do an all stock deal. But I don't see Iger doing that, make very little financial sense.

Also there is nothing preventing Staggs and/or Meyer from leaving Candle Media and coming back to Disney. If the board wants them to take over for Iger in 2024 they can make it happen. But I don't see that happening.

However with that said, there is no indication that Iger is going to sell the Hulu or Fox assets anyways. It would basically reverse everything that he did between 2017-2019 to get the 21st Century assets in the first place. Which would tarnish his legacy, so its not likely to happen.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

DCBaker

Premium Member
Roku devices currently will not work with the new Disney+ ad tier -

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 1.19.37 PM.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Brilliant! Make the Ad-free version completely incompatible with any popular streaming box or smart tv you have so you have to use the more expensive subscription. Why can't Disney do anything right?
Roku is only one platform, and so far appears to be the only streaming platform that can't use the Ad free version. Its very likely due to Roku not wanting to pay any extra fees that Disney is charging for the Ad free version, or Roku trying to get a piece of the Ad fees Disney will be getting. This is very common.

Either way I suspect it'll be settled in the next couple weeks.

doctornick

Roku is only one platform, and so far appears to be the only streaming platform that can't use the Ad free version. Its very likely due to Roku not wanting to pay any extra fees that Disney is charging for the Ad free version, or Roku trying to get a piece of the Ad fees Disney will be getting. This is very common.

Either way I suspect it'll be settled in the next couple weeks.
That’s fair, but was this known/announced ahead of time? I’d be kinda annoyed if I relied on Roku to stream and switch to the ad plan only to find out it didn’t work after the fact.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That’s fair, but was this known/announced ahead of time? I’d be kinda annoyed if I relied on Roku to stream and switch to the ad plan only to find out it didn’t work after the fact.
I have no idea if it was announced ahead of time as I don't use Roku.

But it appears to be what I suspected, an issue with ad revenue sharing:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

_caleb

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Seems like a natural thing at this point. Subscribe, binge, cancel, jump to a different service, repeat. What choice have we got, if each service has just a handful of good content and takes a while to produce more?
There's a market for an App that will track which streaming shows you want to see and will sign you up for the right streamer for a month and immediately cancel the auto-renewal. The app will remind you of your time frame to binge that streamer's content.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So basically cable?

…wow…I can see the “Disney difference”

No way they ever lose a single subscriber with this genius

75,000,000 annually in Orlando would be a pretty decent idea to the stockholders right about now.

Thank god Bob knows better 👍🏻

_caleb

So basically cable?

…wow…I can see the “Disney difference”

No way they ever lose a single subscriber with this genius

75,000,000 annually in Orlando would be a pretty decent idea to the stockholders right about now.

Thank god Bob knows better 👍🏻
Aren’t you salty today? No. Not basically cable. See, “cable” is linear TV—what’s broadcasting on a channel is what you can watch right now. Streaming, on the other hand, is a service that allows you to watch any movie or show on-demand.

It’d be more like having to cancel Comcast to switch to Spectrum because Comcast doesn’t carry the shows you like.

But you already knew the difference, you were just being, well, grumpy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Aren’t you salty today? No. Not basically cable. See, “cable” is linear TV—what’s broadcasting on a channel is what you can watch right now. Streaming, on the other hand, is a service that allows you to watch any movie or show on-demand.

It’d be more like having to cancel Comcast to switch to Spectrum because Comcast doesn’t carry the shows you like.

But you already knew the difference, you were just being, well, grumpy.
It’s a “day ending in Y”, isn’t it?😎

But seriously…it’s not really a Disney specific criticism as much of how quickly the old guard decided they needed their 20th century back…

The counter is “aha!!! that was linear”

But digital on demand has been around for a long time. A lot of the appeal of the stream was dropping the disjointed ad format.

They’re gonna learn quickly…ads are not gonna create “cable 2.0”…and nobody ever really wanted to pay for cable. So it will be again

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom