Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If that were the case we would be logging into Hulu with our Disney account credentials right now.
Account authentication is not tied to the backend technology. You can tied the old Hulu credentials to BAMTech for Hulu authentication.

But if you want to get technical I do log into my Hulu account using my Disney account credentials because I have the Disney Bundle.

seascape

If that were the case we would be logging into Hulu with our Disney account credentials right now. People who subscribe to Hulu via the bundle (assuming they didn't have a Hulu account beforehand) need to create a new Hulu account billed through the bundle.
What is so hard about having separate Hulu, Disney+, Amazon and other streaming services apps? I actually prefer having different apps because I there are just too many shows on each service and they push different shows on each.

doctornick

What is so hard about having separate Hulu, Disney+, Amazon and other streaming services apps? I actually prefer having different apps because I there are just too many shows on each service and they push different shows on each.

I'd rather have separate apps but the same platform structure. I don't have Hulu so I don't know if that's the case, but I like the Disney+ interface and (if I had Hulu) would prefer for it to run the same way.

I still think the idea merging Hulu and Disney+ (and ESPN+ for that matter) is dumb. They make more sense as separate services, especially if Hulu continues to have a live TV option and feature content from other providers. Plus merging them would lead to higher costs for the combined service which is not consumer friendly - Disney+ price point is a big selling point right now and, while it will surely go up, keeping it comparatively inexpensive is a competitive edge.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'd rather have separate apps but the same platform structure. I don't have Hulu so I don't know if that's the case, but I like the Disney+ interface and (if I had Hulu) would prefer for it to run the same way.

I still think the idea merging Hulu and Disney+ (and ESPN+ for that matter) is dumb. They make more sense as separate services, especially if Hulu continues to have a live TV option and feature content from other providers. Plus merging them would lead to higher costs for the combined service which is not consumer friendly - Disney+ price point is a big selling point right now and, while it will surely go up, keeping it comparatively inexpensive is a competitive edge.
Disney recently redid the Hulu app interface to bring it in-line with D+, so they look fairly similar.

Darkprime

From Disney's perspective you can see why they would want to fold Hulu into Disney+ tho. It would mean they could reach 100M subs on Disney+ much quicker.

Slpy3270

From Disney's perspective you can see why they would want to fold Hulu into Disney+ tho. It would mean they could reach 100M subs on Disney+ much quicker.
It's the logistics that complicate things. Hulu and BAMTech have different facilities and technologies that need to be seamlessly integrated. You'd have to consolidate offices to one place and also lay off more employees. And you'd also have to address issues like the third-party licensing deals, the live TV services, and the premium add-ons that Hulu has and millions of Hulu users subscribe to (especially HBO Max *raises hand*).

seascape

Actually combining the two would actually reduce the total number of subscribers. Hulu and Disney+ are both predicted to have between 49 and 50 million US subscribers in 2025. That alone adds up to 99 million but if they were combined it would only be 49.8 million.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's the logistics that complicate things. Hulu and BAMTech have different facilities and technologies that need to be seamlessly integrated. You'd have to consolidate offices to one place and also lay off more employees. And you'd also have to address issues like the third-party licensing deals, the live TV services, and the premium add-ons that Hulu has and millions of Hulu users subscribe to (especially HBO Max *raises hand*).
Once again BAMTech powers Hulu ever since Disney took majority ownership:

2017 -
"Launched Hulu with Live TV with over 350 channels at launch"

Captain Barbossa

Ok, I was finally able to get around to watching the AK docu-series last night. (Yeah I know, I’m late to the party lol) I’m only 2 episodes in, but holy crap is it good! I’ve seen several AK behind the scenes type documentaries/shows before, but this definitely takes the cake. With so much that goes on at AK in terms of the animals, I really hope there will be a 2nd season.

CJR

Personally speaking, I don't see how merging Hulu and Disney+ is a good business decision, at least short term. A lot of the Hulu subscribers also likely already have a Disney+ account, so they would really be giving up a lot of money for the less expensive Disney+.

It could make sense to have it as an integration option, similar to how Movies Anywhere works, where titles can be combined in a single app, but I don't see why the company would give up $6-$15 a month for a mild bump in subscribers to what they want to be their flagship service.

J4546

maybe if they combines hulu/disney and charged a little more theyd be able to get more subscribers and offset the loss from initial merger?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
You can already 'buy' D+ and Hulu and ESPN+ in cost-saving bundles. There's no need to merge the actual streamers for bundling to occur.

The only reason to merge-merge is for branding. And there's a lot of Hulu content that Disney doesn't want the Disney name to be attached to. Remember Touchstone?

NateD1226

#FixMsMarvel is trending on Twitter after some rumored poor casting choices were made public. This thread does contain some political and sensitive topics, so I understand if this gets removed.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
#FixMsMarvel is trending on Twitter after some rumored poor casting choices were made public. This thread does contain some political and sensitive topics, so I understand if this gets removed.

There was a thread for Ms Marvel D+ show, there wasn't much in it, but maybe time to revive it:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
It has just become Wednesday on the East Coast.

The Investor Day four-hour webcast will begin in about 40 1/2 hours (Thursday 4:30p ET).

Investor Day is mostly about Disney+, but will include all of Disney streamers: ESPN+, Hulu (+Live), hotstar, and Star.

And since all of Disney's many studios are tasked with creating content for the streamers, it will necessarily touch upon all of Disney studios, especially the question of whether any features that were slated for a theatrical release will instead go to streaming, like Soul and Mulan did.

The thread to discuss Investor Day (especially as it's happening) is here...

The webpage to go to in order to watch the webcast is here...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom