Disney's report details deaths and injuries to the state

napnet

Original Poster
Two men who succumbed after being on Walt Disney World attractions this winter both died of natural causes, according to the Orange/Osceola Medical Examiner's Office.

Disney reported the deaths of Oscar Wicker Jr., 51, of Pulaski, Miss., and John Parietti, 67, of New York, plus two serious injuries, in documents submitted to the state covering the first quarter of 2007. Those and quarterly "incident" reports from other major Florida theme parks were released earlier this week by the Florida Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection.

Parietti had trouble standing after getting off the Epcot ride Soarin' on Jan. 15, and died two days later, according to the reports.

The Medical Examiner's Office reviewed his death but did not perform an autopsy or prepare a report. Parietti also was suffering from slurred speech and right-side weakness after the ride, so he was rushed to Sand Lake Hospital. "It appeared he had a stroke, so we were not involved," said Sheri Blanton, spokeswoman for the medical examiner

Wicker died March 15 at Florida Hospital Celebration Health after collapsing at Disney's Blizzard Beach. After performing an autopsy, Medical Examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia concluded he had a heart attack and died, Blanton said.

Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said the company offered full support and condolences to the families of both men.

Disney also reported that an 89-year-old woman fell and broke a hip in February while getting out of a ride vehicle at the Magic Kingdom's Haunted Mansion, and a 27-year-old man had a seizure in March on Disney's Animal Kingdom's Expedition Everest.

Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay reported no serious injuries related to their rides in the first three months of 2007.

Wicker was the 11th person to die after being stricken in a Disney World park in the past 2 1/2 years.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-disney1807apr18,0,7487514.story?track=rss

bryPOD

I am sort of surprised that the other major parks have not had any major injuries, you would think atleast one of them would.

ImaYoyo

I am sort of surprised that the other major parks have not had any major injuries, you would think atleast one of them would.
They have. It's just not reported quarterly by the slantinal like deaths at Disney are. There's usually a year-end report that includes the other area parks.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I was with a guest who had a serious injury at Universal this past October during HHN. Universal refused to assist us in any way and refused to accept the injury happened in their park or was their fault.

Universal refunded us every cent and kicked us out of the park :rolleyes:

Universal will never get a penny from me.

CrashNet

I was with a guest who had a serious injury at Universal this past October during HHN. Universal refused to assist us in any way and refused to accept the injury happened in their park or was their fault.

Universal refunded us every cent and kicked us out of the park :rolleyes:

Universal will never get a penny from me.
Are you kidding?! They just said, "sorry you need to leave and call an ambulance," and didn't help?

Just goes to show how distorted statistics can really be. You own the information, you can bend and twist it however you want to.

WDWFREAK53

Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay reported no serious injuries related to their rides in the first three months of 2007.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-disney1807apr18,0,7487514.story?track=rss

Um...look at the way that it's worded...

"Related to their rides."

If the people that died in Disney were all due to natural causes or due to pre-existing conditions...can't the same be said about ALL the deaths that happened at Disney?

mkt

Premium Member
Are you kidding?! They just said, "sorry you need to leave and call an ambulance," and didn't help?

Just goes to show how distorted statistics can really be. You own the information, you can bend and twist it however you want to.

You are correct. A manager even accused us of lying when we presented him with the injury, saying there were warning signs of the dangerous situation. There were no warning signs whatsoever regarding the dangerous situation. So we went to first aid, and waited... and waited... and waited. No one was there to help us. We went outside and asked an employee to call first aid, she never did.

We finally walked to the front of the park, and asked for assistance. They refunded our money, and threw us out of the park through a side door. When we asked for a ride to our car (since our friend was limping quite badly and bleeding) we were told we'd have to wait an hour.

mkt

Premium Member
So...let me get this straight...you gladly pay $55+ to drink for free? :lookaroun :lol:

Florida residents pay 1 time and get in free the rest of the year ;)

I'll gladly pay $55+ to get free booze for a year :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom