Disney's Punishment of Honest Media/Reviews

Casper Gutman

Defenders seem to be trying to argue that vloggers only give viewers the biased take they already want. But that’s not why Disney puts so much effort and money into manipulating the kind of content vloggers produce. They do that because they believe that vlogging content shapes and channels opinions in a very significant way - it influences consumers. The idea that it doesn’t runs counter to Disney’s own beliefs and to the history of advertising. That’s what these vloggers are, of course - advertising that hides behind a facade of manufactured “authenticity,” a lie that they are a normal fan, just like you! It IS quite nefarious, and ties into larger, destructive trends in US culture.

brb1006

Only 18 more hours left! Looking forward to hearing honest reviews from non-bloggers and vloggers.
760.gif

ImperfectPixie

Defenders seem to be trying to argue that vloggers only give viewers the biased take they already want. But that’s not why Disney puts so much effort and money into manipulating the kind of content vloggers produce. They do that because they believe that vlogging content shapes and channels opinions in a very significant way - it influences consumers. The idea that it doesn’t runs counter to Disney’s own beliefs and to the history of advertising. That’s what these vloggers are, of course - advertising that hides behind a facade of manufactured “authenticity,” a lie that they are a normal fan, just like you! It IS quite nefarious, and ties into larger, destructive trends in US culture.
Exactly.

sedati

You mean the “brass knuckles” analogy that was from someone else that texted Len and Len himself said in the very next tweet that was obviously hyperbole?
Yes if it bleeds it leads. Don’t throw out the accusation and follow with the rebuttal. You know which sticks. It’s a dishonest tactic to start with ‘some say” then feel you’re absolved because you yourself didn’t say it. Compare the numbers on that first tweet to the following.

That said I look forward to his review not so much for opinion, but I imagine he’s the best to actually try and figure out the mechanics of this complicated storytelling system.

CaptinEO

I think many have a belief that the Walt Disney company is one of still "good" companies out there. And certainly because so many have such fond memories & experiences associated with Disney & the parks. I know I do. And when I learn of something truly contradictory to this belief....it is really a gut-punch. It saps out the energy to want to go to Disney. And I don't like that feeling.

But here we are. Len Testa, creator of TouringPlans & veteran Disney parks fan released this

This news that people who attended the Star Wars Galactic Cruiser are in fear of reprisals from Disney if they write honest reviews of the experience...is jarring. Especially as relates to the first or second thing we al think about when we think of this new Disney hotel, and that is the high $6,000 expense. Is it worth it? Something to save-up for, something to really treat the family to and enjoy?

I never trust review/media publications. Only individuals who DONT get a media event and who DONT get free access.

UNCgolf

Yes if it bleeds it leads. Don’t throw out the accusation and follow with the rebuttal. You know which sticks. It’s a dishonest tactic to start with ‘some say” then feel you’re absolved because you yourself didn’t say it. Compare the numbers on that first tweet to the following.

That said I look forward to his review not so much for opinion, but I imagine he’s the best to actually try and figure out the mechanics of this complicated storytelling system.

I think there's an extent to which that's simply one of the fundamental problems with Twitter in general, and especially in using it for anything substantive -- people take a quick glance at the first thing and don't bother to engage any further. It's a terrible place for any kind of legitimate discourse and an absolute machine for creating misinformed people.

I understand your point, though.

Lilofan

If a person's relationships are that transactional, then they've got bigger problems than what's happening at theme parks.

When a corporation gives a "freebie", it isn't really free...it's in exchange for publicity...it's a trade. Something corporations have lost sight of is that they should WANT honesty from those providing them with publicity and feedback because it ensures that they continue to supply a good product and helps them stay in business for the long-term.
Somewhat similar to Wall Street. Analysts cover the stock ( company ) and recommend to investors buy sell hold. One can deduct that when there is a site visit to meet with company CEO and fellow exec team, the red carpet is extensively rolled out among a few things out there. Ever notice how cordial everyone is to each other on a quarterly Wall Street conference call? There is a you take care of me I take care of you , in life.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Again, I don't know whether I'm being naïve, but hasn't it always worked like that? Disney didn't invite travel writers or morning show hosts to the opening of Epcot or Animal Kingdom, for example, because they wanted hard-hitting scrutiny or to give those people or publications a nice treat. They did it because they wanted positive publicity that would convince people to visit WDW. I don't know the extent to which this has changed, but as long as I have been a fan Disney has had a reputation as company particularly concerned with "controlling the message." Now there are these people called vloggers, so they've updated the strategy to harness them as effectively as possible for marketing purposes and those vloggers can play along or resist as much as they choose while viewers also choose what content they prefer.

This is, again, not to deny anything that has been said about the relationship between Disney and the vloggers. It's more a bit of a shrug that I thought all of this was just obvious.

CaptinEO

Nah, propaganda and spin disseminators that, in this case, did a far better job of selling than the Disney marketing department.
News companies and media were invited to Disney's cruise. I'm saying "journalists" isnt a mistake because both journalists AND vloggers were given access to this media event.

NelsonRD

To blanket a subjective opinion, using unprofessional tweets, that the experience simply cost too much, is not a good idea, whether it is a Disney product or not. The cost is well published, we all know it is expensive. The tweets read aggressively, subjectively, and obsess over the cost of this experience. A professional honest review after it opens can effectively discuss the positive, and the areas for improvement, without sounding childish, to help people decide how much value this may provide - for them. I disagree with several Disney decisions, but I am not onboard with Len here.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
As far as I can see, the "punishment" referred to is not being invited to press events, media previews and the like, and not being provided with special access or freebies. In other words, the punishment is refusal to continue to give incentives for coverage. So it isn't like Disney is taking steps to run these people out of business -- they are just refusing to grant them special access. Of course, many of these social media sites believe (and they may be right) they need the special access to be successful, creating a conflict of interest that facilitates Disney manipulating coverage.

Len is right to point this out on twitter, because some may think of these vloggers, bloggers, and other Disney social media folks the same way they think of reviews from the dining critic in their local paper or the Michelin guide. But the dining critics, generally, are anonymous, get no special treatment, and are therefore not beholden to the restaurants they review.

If readers don't realize the inherent conflict of interest of the Disney vloggers, they'll lend more credence to the reviews than they should.

So then the question...are there reputable sites out there doing reviews of new Disney things that don't take the special access, media access, etc. and just show up like regular guests and write reviews? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️ ;)

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
To blanket a subjective opinion, using unprofessional tweets, that the experience simply cost too much, is not a good idea, whether it is a Disney product or not. The cost is well published, we all know it is expensive. The tweets read aggressively, subjectively, and obsess over the cost of this experience. A professional honest review after it opens can effectively discuss the positive, and the areas for improvement, without sounding childish, to help people decide how much value this may provide - for them. I disagree with several Disney decisions, but I am not onboard with Len here.
While I agree (see above) with Len pointing out the conflict of interest, I agree with you that a reviewer ought to be able to voice his/her/their views on the product exclusive of price, and then also explain whether they believe it is worth the price, rather than simply saying "It's way to expensive" and not talk about quality.

Good friends of mine just bought a very expensive new vehicle. It is wonderful. Rides well, looks great, all the bells and whistles. It is also not even close, in my opinion, to being worth the money they paid. But to them, it was. So it can be with Galactic Starcruiser.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom