Disney's Punishment of Honest Media/Reviews

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
From their About page:

“We create websites and informational products with an emphasis on creating strong brand loyalty and user satisfaction. Basically we make websites and products where our users can't wait for more.”

So no, they aren’t affiliated with TWDC, but they butter a lot of their bread. They may criticize, but as has been pointed out, they do so in the lightest way possible while still providing a positive overall message about the place. Being critical and criticizing the Mouse and their offerings isn’t going to “create strong brand loyalty”.

LittleBuford

From their About page:

“We create websites and informational products with an emphasis on creating strong brand loyalty and user satisfaction. Basically we make websites and products where our users can't wait for more.”

So no, they aren’t affiliated with TWDC, but they butter a lot of their bread. They may criticize, but as has been pointed out, they do so in the lightest way possible while still providing a positive overall message about the place.
Why would a website devoted to making the best of a Disney trip provide a negative overall message, though? That would defeat the very purpose of the service they offer.

ETA: The “brand loyalty” and “user satisfaction” in the text you quoted refer to the websites themselves, not to Disney.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Perhaps those who take issue with DFB could point to particular passages that they find objectionable in the transcript I provided. There’s no point speaking in theoretical generalities when we have an actual text as proof of their approach.

Diamond Dot

When we enter the theme parks we agree that WDW may film us for promotional purposes I believe. I didn't expect vloggers that could film us for their benefit and their continued profit.
I completely agree, so I think I'm within my rights to politely ask a vlogger to refrain from filming me in the background of their video especially if I am trying to eat a meal as I haven't signed a release or given my permission.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Perhaps those who take issue with DFB could point to particular passages that they find objectionable in the transcript I provided. There’s no point speaking in theoretical generalities when we have an actual text as proof of their approach.
I don't think we need to actually start going through other sites' content to try to prove a point. Those in the industry know how it works, and are trying to point it out to some internet users who may not be familiar with the process. It is of course up to the individual what they choose to believe.

UNCgolf

Why would a website devoted to making the best of a Disney trip provide a negative overall message, though? That would defeat the very purpose of the service they offer.

I don't have a problem with any of these websites, blogs, vlogs, etc. -- people should know what they're getting, and if they don't, that's really on them.

With that said, I think the line about "creating brand loyalty" is particularly damning in terms of what's being discussed. I don't personally see that as a problem because, again, people should be aware of what they're consuming and know why it exists. You can still get good information from there. But I think it's hard to argue you're not getting a specific POV from a site with that line as a stated part of their reason for existence.

ImperfectPixie

I completely agree, so I think I'm within my rights to politely ask a vlogger to refrain from filming me in the background of their video especially if I am trying to eat a meal as I haven't signed a release or given my permission.
You can ask, but they don't have to stop filming. Legally, you have to presume that the moment you step out of your home, that you are in public space and may end up in the background of someone's picture or video.

LittleBuford

I don't think we need to actually start going through other sites' content to try to prove a point. Those in the industry know how it works, and are trying to point it out to some internet users who may not be familiar with the process. It is of course up to the individual what they choose to believe.
It was @lentesta who asked for a transcript to be provided and who, upon reading it, agreed that the content was balanced.

UNCgolf

See my ETA.

Yeah, now that I've actually looked at the website, I agree. It's not a statement claiming they create brand loyalty for others.

Regardless, I think this whole discussion is no different than looking at regular news sources. Of course some of these places have financial reasons to not be overly critical of something they cover -- that doesn't mean they can't be critical to an extent, but content is going to skew towards the positive for multiple reasons. The same is true in reverse for other places, though. I'm certain there are sites that make money by catering to people who want something to be relentlessly trashed.

People just need to understand that going in.

ppete1975

Off topic but:

The Trackers actually discussed this themselves on a live stream. They were kicked off the media list for Disney / Universal because of a controversy with past videos. You can find their apology video on their channel.

They have a pretty loud group of people who hate them, and that group kept emailing Disney and Universal until they kicked them out.

Only recently have they been allowed back on a trial / limited basis with Disney.
its disgusting the stuff thats on youtube, and the internet on them. For some reason people really hate them and there are entire channels dedicated to making fun of them. I will never understand the vitriol towards someone that would cause this. If you like them, watch them. If you dont then dont. But the "critics" of theirs, know like every video by heart and ever intrinsic detail of their lives. To be fair they did have some non disney related questionable content from their early days, that those people used to get them banned from the media list. But it wasnt really fair to what their channel was at the time. As far as the original content of the post though.
IF you give me free media access to any event or even a free book, or toy.. i am going to be inclined to say glowing things due to I want to do the next event. I dont think disney explicitly says we will ban you.. but if they give you something for free.. then there is going to be the internal feeling that you should be careful.
If someone was to buy you a gift and you were rude about it.. I doubt they would buy you a gift again.. basically the same thing (oh thanks for the socks, ive always wanted a pair like this... compared to... you bought me socks!! why they heck would I want socks!!) If it was a GF or BF they might even dump you...

ImperfectPixie

its disgusting the stuff thats on youtube, and the internet on them. For some reason people really hate them and there are entire channels dedicated to making fun of them. I will never understand the vitriol towards someone that would cause this. If you like them, watch them. If you dont then dont. But the "critics" of theirs, know like every video by heart and ever intrinsic detail of their lives. To be fair they did have some non disney related questionable content from their early days, that those people used to get them banned from the media list. But it wasnt really fair to what their channel was at the time. As far as the original content of the post though.
IF you give me free media access to any event or even a free book, or toy.. i am going to be inclined to say glowing things due to I want to do the next event. I dont think disney explicitly says we will ban you.. but if they give you something for free.. then there is going to be the internal feeling that you should be careful.
If someone was to buy you a gift and you were rude about it.. I doubt they would buy you a gift again.. basically the same thing (oh thanks for the socks, ive always wanted a pair like this... compared to... you bought me socks!! why they heck would I want socks!!) If it was a GF or BF they might even dump you...
Ummm...a CORPORATION is giving freebies to generate publicity. That is absolutely nothing even remotely comparable to a personal relationship and gift-giving.

mergatroid

Does this guy post on here? He's making money complaining about the integrity of Disney vloggers who are making money through Disney. Accuses them all of lying and all giving dishonest reviews. I think he's going to give himself an injury the way he gets so agitated by it all. He repeatedly says "I don't care about it" but spends 10 minutes ranting about it and ironically asks for like, shares, patreons and subscriptions at the end without a hint of self awareness :D

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Does this guy post on here? He's making money complaining about the integrity of Disney vloggers who are making money through Disney. Accuses them all of lying and all giving dishonest reviews. I think he's going to give himself and injury the way he gets so agitated by it all. He repeatedly says "I don't care about it" but spends 10 minutes ranting about it and ironically asks for like, shares, patreons and subscriptions at the end without a hint of self awareness :D

Edit: He's obviously trying to give an opposing viewpoint, but he's as over-the-top as those defending the starcruiser. And Clint G is a massive Disney defender.

Last edited:

dreday3

I don't have a problem with any of these websites, blogs, vlogs, etc. -- people should know what they're getting, and if they don't, that's really on them.

With that said, I think the line about "creating brand loyalty" is particularly damning in terms of what's being discussed. I don't personally see that as a problem because, again, people should be aware of what they're consuming and know why it exists. You can still get good information from there. But I think it's hard to argue you're not getting a specific POV from a site with that line as a stated part of their reason for existence.

Agree.

Basically I come here to read news/updates/rumors/criticisms/etc.

When I'm watching a vlog it's for a specific purpose (for me) - I already know I'm going, trip booked and I'm watching the vlogs to get excited/get in the mood for trip planning. I'm not watching them to help me make any kind of decision (other than getting a cheeseburger eggroll or not).

Specifically, I watch certain vlogs because I know it's pretty much going to be light-hearted fun, way to pass time before a trip. :)
(And then the opposite, I also know who to watch if I want to see reviews with a more critical eye)

Last edited:

Kingoglow

All this talk about journalism... do people really view vloggers as journalists?

I watch several vloggers, I’ve never considered them journalists, they’re entertainment. They keep me up to date with what’s going on in the parks between my visits, the same reason I visit these forums. I find vloggers far more entertaining and interesting than 99% of the junk on TV now, they are generating revenue for YouTube and deserve every penny they earn from that.

I find it odd people are upset that some are successful and making good money off it now, Tim Trackers been doing it for something like 20 years, for most of that time he also worked a full time job and it was just his side gig, why begrudge him for becoming successful at doing something he loves? They’ve likely put tens of thousands of hours into filming and editing, personally I’m happy they’re finally being paid for all that effort.

I watched the Trackers video and the Dis video, I can’t think of either of them giving what I’d call a review, maybe they did and I missed it because I was too busy enjoying watching what was going on and deciding for myself.

Young mom's today, when researching 'How to do' their families first vacation will immediately turn to social media and youtube for this information.

Consider is that mom (or dad) were to do that today, 2/28. They will see all of this content about the Galatic Starcruiser and how fantastic the experience was. They will watch (lets be honest) maybe 60-90 minutes of content of how amazing it is. They will hear 'media event,' which can skew their perception of what this content is; younger generations already skew towards getting 'news' from social media (a lot of headline scanning).

No. Vloggers are not journalist, but a hell of a lot of people are starting to think that they are.

Kingoglow

Content strategy at its finest. It gives them double the opportunity to make content and ad revenue. Their earnings from the media trip will easily cover the second paid trip, and the end result of both will be a rather large profit.

Very much this. I am waiting until someone else at All-Ears goes on the starcruiser, paying for it out of pocket. Not Disney, Not All-Ears... when are the down staff employees going to review the $5,000 experience? Let's see that video Molly.

erasure fan1

She does, though. The transcript I posted contains numerous criticisms.
Yes, she does criticize them. But like I said, she was a bit critical, but then ended with but it's still great anyway. I get it, it's for people who aren't in the know as much as we are. They need people to want to go to Disney and be crazy popular. They also want to be in Disneys good graces because the risk of not getting that invite to something like the star cruiser can mean a lot of cash down the drain. You need those first to market views.

Kingoglow

ETA: The “brand loyalty” and “user satisfaction” in the text you quoted refer to the websites themselves, not to Disney.
You must have never watched Pete Werner (of WDWInfo) go off on one of his rants against Disney. His company is a travel agency primarily focused on Disney.

You seem like a fan of DFB. That's cool. I have bought their books in the past, so you can say the same for me. But I am not going to agree that AJ has ever given a (gloves off) negative review of anything Disney. Except maybe when they removed plastic cheese from its menus.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom