News Disney's own survey is a list of Walt Disney World's 50-anniversary shortcomings

Which reasons best describe why you felt the 50th anniversary was below your expectations?

• The celebration didn't celebrate "classic Disney" and lacked nostalgia

Votes: 356 81.1%
  • Crowds made it difficult to enjoy the celebration

Votes: 153 34.9%
  • The décor was limited

Votes: 167 38.0%
  • Commemorative entertainment for the celebration was limited (stage shows, parades, etc.)

Votes: 259 59.0%
  • It was not special enough for a 50th-anniversary celebration

Votes: 349 79.5%
  • The 50th-anniversary merchandise I wanted was unavailable

Votes: 89 20.3%
  • The fireworks shows/nighttime spectaculars were not as good as previous shows

Votes: 323 73.6%
  • The fireworks shows/nighttime spectaculars didn't celebrate the 50th

Votes: 293 66.7%
  • It was difficult to find the special food and beverage offerings

Votes: 46 10.5%
  • It was not as good as other Disney celebrations

Votes: 272 62.0%

• Total voters

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I felt like it was kind of silly that they wrote several different "Theme Songs" for the 50th, since the net result was that I heard them several times each but don't remember much of any of them.

There should have been just one great one that summed up the messaging for the 50th, showed up everywhere, and latched itself to your heart. Instead the music sort of telegraphs that they had no real idea what they wanted the 50th to be about for the guests. Which seems to be the most consistent messaging of this whole celebration.
I remember that the woman’s voice for one song (‘The Magic is Calling’?) is more annoying than fingernails on a chalkboard…

We’re really worrying for nothing - I’m sure with surveys and polling, they’ll get the next WDW 50th celebration right. 😉

Goofy213

I think TDO intentions were good, the follow through not so much. It seems the decorations, statues, and beacons of lights were early in the planning stage. They also had 3 major attractions planned to open during the 50th, which 2 have and there is still hope for the 3rd. Now those openings were obviously pushed back due to covid shutdowns, but still shouldn't have taken that long. The new technology with the interactive statues, new magic bands, and even Genie+ are all signs of foward thinking for a company trying new things and taking risk. We visit once a year so even Genie+ and Lightning Lane are time savers and worth the cost to me, for a local with annual passes I can see where they are a neusance. I live near Cleveland and visit Cedar Point regularly, average wait time for a large coaster averages an hour, add the fast lane and the hour becomes 2 hours, and at a $100 a peice for a day it's not worth it to me. Merchandise is not why I go to the parks, same with food options, although it's nice to try different things I could take them or leave them, doesn't matter to me. Entertainment is where they failed in the worst way. I will cut them some slack though, with all the covid distancing restrictions that were in place we were lucky to shows at all. Harmonious started out awesome. You can tell this was to be the big evening show for the celebration. What it lacks is the story and the emotion that we are use to with Wishes, HEA, and Illuminations. Can Harmonious be saved, YES, but it will take a great director to make it happen. Enchantment on the other hand fell flat on it's face. Disney would have been better taking the Memories and You show and adding photos of families from all 50 years of the parks. HEA was a great masterpiece to replace Wishes. Disney has a mountain to climb to top HEA. Hopefully this survey is a tool to make Epcots 40th and the parks 60th much better.

bcoachable

I must ask- again…
Where are the entertainers?
Take the Citizens of Hollywood for example:
Social distancing is out the window.
Those talents are out there, waiting to hear back.
But they hear Nothing.
Can’t use the “no bodies to run the trams” excuse.
My guess?
Disney doesn’t want to shell out the money- which is fine- but it is telling to their attitude toward the 50th.

Jrb1979

I must ask- again…
But they hear Nothing.
My guess?
Disney doesn’t want to shell out the money- which is fine- but it is telling to their attitude toward the 50th.
Even before Covid they were cutting back on Streetmosphere. Don't forget Chapek did say the CMs were the entertainment.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I must ask- again…
But they hear Nothing.
My guess?
They feel it’s a waste of overhead.

No matter how many different theories you get around here on this - I just gave you the reason 👨‍⚖️

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah this is my big complaint. They could have spent a relatively small amount and “plussed” existing rides and it would have been so well received.
But that “changes expectations” and the Bob’s numbers people have adamantly said no to that in the swamp.

They hide behind “we want unique experiences”…that’s why you never see hyperspace mountain or nightmare before Christmas in Florida…

…but it’s not that. It’s an optional cost that they don’t want people getting accustomed to…

correcaminos

T
I don’t think they ever had any intention of moving the kraken…

“Operational inefficiency”

Which means this probably happened: somebody in WDI assumed that would happen - cause they put a quote from Walt about “show” on the wall next to the Starbucks in the imagineering building - and went overboard in the design…

The result is the kraken feasts on the eyes of visitors all day long 🦑
They did. The excuse they used was it would take too long to move in and out daily. So we're stuck with them until someone bombs them.

EPCOT-O.G.

Even before Covid they were cutting back on Streetmosphere. Don't forget Chapek did say the CMs were the entertainment.
This is a good point. In many ways, the overall experience (from a baseline standpoint, given no streetmosphere and no returning shows) is LESS than what used to be expected, setting aside a general lack of effort for the 50th.

And it’s time to stop using Covid as an excuse. The parks have been open for almost two years now, and they’ve been packed since last summer. You cant have the CEO bragging about record revenues for multiple quarters, then fall back on “challenges of the ongoing pandemic” for why certain benefits, experiences, and entertainment hasn’t returned. They just don’t want to pay people. Simple as that.

Jrb1979

This is a good point. In many ways, the overall experience (from a baseline standpoint, given no streetmosphere and no returning shows) is LESS than what used to be expected, setting aside a general lack of effort for the 50th.

And it’s time to stop using Covid as an excuse. The parks have been open for almost two years now, and they’ve been packed since last summer. You cant have the CEO bragging about record revenues for multiple quarters, then fall back on “challenges of the ongoing pandemic” for why certain benefits, experiences, and entertainment hasn’t returned. They just don’t want to pay people. Simple as that.
To add to that there is no reason to bring that stuff back when people are filling the parks with out it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

He’s a lying SOB…with zero polish…and still getting too much of a pass.

But I always (10,000 times 🤪) like to point out that we are a huge if not a dominant share of the problem…

“They’ve ruined it…it’s pathetic…the soul has been ripped out of the parks…

…I’m gonna give them a “piece of my mind” as I buy genie on my trip that starts in two weeks 😡

JIMINYCR

The release of this comes as no surprise. The surprise is that Disney released anything that showed the 50th as viewed by guests as a flop. Negative survey are kept locked away in the vault with the bottomless pit so light never shines upon them. Way back many of us commented that the 50th wasnt going to shape up as anything spectacular from covid, budgetary shortfalls, lack of planning time, WDW continual disregard by execs, and many other reasons. Theyve been fortunate that the make up trips and returning guests have bumped up their numbers as well as they have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom