News Disney's own survey is a list of Walt Disney World's 50-anniversary shortcomings

Which reasons best describe why you felt the 50th anniversary was below your expectations?

• The celebration didn't celebrate "classic Disney" and lacked nostalgia

Votes: 356 81.1%
  • Crowds made it difficult to enjoy the celebration

Votes: 153 34.9%
  • The décor was limited

Votes: 167 38.0%
  • Commemorative entertainment for the celebration was limited (stage shows, parades, etc.)

Votes: 259 59.0%
  • It was not special enough for a 50th-anniversary celebration

Votes: 349 79.5%
  • The 50th-anniversary merchandise I wanted was unavailable

Votes: 89 20.3%
  • The fireworks shows/nighttime spectaculars were not as good as previous shows

Votes: 323 73.6%
  • The fireworks shows/nighttime spectaculars didn't celebrate the 50th

Votes: 293 66.7%
  • It was difficult to find the special food and beverage offerings

Votes: 46 10.5%
  • It was not as good as other Disney celebrations

Votes: 272 62.0%

• Total voters

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The release of this comes as no surprise. The surprise is that Disney released anything that showed the 50th as viewed by guests as a flop. Negative survey are kept locked away in the vault with the bottomless pit so light never shines upon them. Way back many of us commented that the 50th wasnt going to shape up as anything spectacular from covid, budgetary shortfalls, lack of planning time, WDW continual disregard by execs, and many other reasons. Theyve been fortunate that the make up trips and returning guests have bumped up their numbers as well as they have.
I agree with you 100% except for that stuff. All a convenient smokescreen. If they wanted to plan something good…it would have been done long before any SARS-COVID 19

They just don’t care about this kinda stuff in Florida anymore. It’s a regimented festival schedule with rotating catering people at Epcot and upcharges at magic kingdom…

Oops…did I give away the secret? 😱

bcoachable

They feel it’s a waste of overhead.

No matter how many different theories you get around here on this - I just gave you the reason 👨‍⚖️
Yea, yea- I know I know-
I just don’t understand how TWDC can try to say “celebrate 50 years!” out of one side of your mouth- then say “make cuts to the overhead” with the other side of your mouth…

JIMINYCR

I agree with you 100% except for that stuff. All a convenient smokescreen. If they wanted to plan something good…it would have been done long before any SARS-COVID 19

They just don’t care about this kinda stuff in Florida anymore. It’s a regimented festival schedule with rotating catering people at Epcot and upcharges at magic kingdom…

Oops…did I give away the secret? 😱
These were comments posters made. I wasnt saying the reasoning was valid. I agree Disney had the time to do something spectacular and chose not to. DL gets the bling, WDW gets a ho hum experience.

Jrb1979

These were comments posters made. I wasnt saying the reasoning was valid. I agree Disney had the time to do something spectacular and chose not to. DL gets the bling, WDW gets a ho hum experience.
In their defense outside of the hardcores none of that is a big draw. Even new attractions don't impact attendance. I look at a lot of regional parks when they add a new major attraction they tend to see a big bump in attendance that season. WDW doesn't usually get a big bump from new attractions. Yes the parks a heavily attended but they don't get that bump like other parks do. It's the same with the 50h.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yea, yea- I know I know-
I just don’t understand how TWDC can try to say “celebrate 50 years!” out of one side of your mouth- then say “make cuts to the overhead” with the other side of your mouth…
Because the customers never withhold their money. That’s it.
Understood

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In their defense outside of the hardcores none of that is a big draw. Even new attractions don't impact attendance. I look at a lot of regional parks when they add a new major attraction they tend to see a big bump in attendance that season. WDW doesn't usually get a big bump from new attractions. Yes the parks a heavily attended but they don't get that bump like other parks do. It's the same with the 50h.
That’s because of the cost…they don’t attempt to pull from the traditional “middle class” - as they were designed to do - in Disney parks like a six flags or cedar fair anymore.

The price puts it out of reach so your market is people heavily laden with “disposal”…which means there’s less scrutiny on the “disposal” of it.

Disney doesn’t use its parks to cross promote their products really anymore. It’s more like “hey…there’s woody…now what time is our lighting lane?”

Jrb1979

That’s because of the cost…they don’t attempt to pull from the traditional “middle class” - as they were designed to do - in Disney parks like a six flags or cedar fair anymore.

The price puts it out of reach so your market is people heavily laden with “disposal”…which means there’s less scrutiny on the “disposal” of it.

Disney doesn’t use its parks to cross promote their products really anymore. It’s more like “hey…there’s woody…now what time is our lighting lane?”
I get what you're saying. Even before this new attractions at WDW didn't move the needle in attendance. It's not even about promoting the new attractions. People go to WDW regardless if there is a new attraction or not.

brb1006

WDW's 50th Anniversary Celebration is a complete joke compared to their 25th Anniversary Celebration. Advertisements and commercials promoting it's 25th Anniversary between 1996-1997 all felt genuine, emotional, and cared about longtime visitors. Some used actual home video recordings from their first visit (1970s and 1980s at the time) from people.

Hell, "The Magic Is Calling" while catchy, barely holds a candle to "Remember The Magic" since that song was longer and focused on people's memories of WDW (and other things).

I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about The Magic Is Calling that just doesn't click compared to Remember The Magic and even "Share A Dream Come True". Can somebody in this thread give me a better explanation on why WDW's 50th Anniversary Theme can't click compared WDW's 25th Anniversary? Same with the ads I posted in this comment.

Sir_Cliff

WDW's 50th Anniversary Celebration is a complete joke compared to their 25th Anniversary Celebration. Advertisements and commercials promoting it's 25th Anniversary between 1996-1997 all felt genuine, emotional, and cared about longtime visitors. Some used actual home video recordings from their first visit (1970s and 1980s at the time) from people.

Hell, "The Magic Is Calling" while catchy, barely holds a candle to "Remember The Magic" since that song was longer and focused on people's memories of WDW (and other things).

I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about The Magic Is Calling that just doesn't click compared to Remember The Magic and even "Share A Dream Come True". Can somebody in this thread give me a better explanation on why WDW's 50th Anniversary Theme can't click compared WDW's 25th Anniversary? Same with the ads I posted in this comment.

I'm also not quite sure why "Remember the Magic" seemed to hit home more effectively than their other marketing campaigns, though building a campaign that invites people to think about when they were children or when their children were little will naturally tug at the heartstrings. It was the first massive anniversary celebration and so celebration fatigue hadn't set it. Also, for the 25th they wrapped the entire campaign around the central concept of 'remembering the magic,' whereas for the 50th they've just run a generic, somewhat unfocussed promotional campaign and slapped 50th logos onto the marketing materials.

In terms of the 50th, the issue for me with the campaigns and songs is that they could be a summer advertising campaign for WDW during any year. The Magic is Calling could have been the 2009 advertising slogan or could be the 2023 one without it fitting any more or less. You Are The Magic is also just like something that was spit out of a randomiser as the title for a new fireworks song. The nighttime spectaculars aren't designed in any way to be specific to the celebration, and the statues could, again, be an unusually uninspired promotion on an off year when they were struggling to come up with something to promote. The selection of characters and the fact there aren't even 50 statues is... weird. All you're really left with, then, are the decorations and the merchandise. Even on the decorations front, is notable that Disneyland Paris restored their castle to its original glory for their anniversary while WDW unveiled a god awful new paint scheme.

danv3

I must ask- again…
Where are the entertainers?
Take the Citizens of Hollywood for example:
Social distancing is out the window.
Those talents are out there, waiting to hear back.
But they hear Nothing.
Can’t use the “no bodies to run the trams” excuse.
My guess?
Disney doesn’t want to shell out the money- which is fine- but it is telling to their attitude toward the 50th.
Enjoy the memories, because entertainment like that is never coming back.

brb1006

I'm also not quite sure why "Remember the Magic" seemed to hit home more effectively than their other marketing campaigns, though building a campaign that invites people to think about when they were children or when their children were little will naturally tug at the heartstrings. It was the first massive anniversary celebration and so celebration fatigue hadn't set it. Also, for the 25th they wrapped the entire campaign around the central concept of 'remembering the magic,' whereas for the 50th they've just run a generic, somewhat unfocussed promotional campaign and slapped 50th logos onto the marketing materials.

In terms of the 50th, the issue for me with the campaigns and songs is that they could be a summer advertising campaign for WDW during any year. The Magic is Calling could have been the 2009 advertising slogan or could be the 2023 one without it fitting any more or less. You Are The Magic is also just like something that was spit out of a randomiser as the title for a new fireworks song. The nighttime spectaculars aren't designed in any way to be specific to the celebration, and the statues could, again, be an unusually uninspired promotion on an off.
I vividly remember the 100 Years of Magic Celebration (honoring Walt's 100th Birthday) being the last time WDW's marketing and commercials was on par with WDW's 25th Anniversary and The Millennium Celebration. While it was also celebrated at the other Disney Parks (Tokyo Disneyland started a year earlier), Disney actually made the entirety of the Walt Disney World Resort as the celebration's centerpiece.

While it ended in 2003, I still remember the "Share A Dream Come True" song to this day being very emotional and a personal song by Disney.

Last edited:

brb1006

Rememmmmmbbbber the maaaagiiiiic
It’s tiiiime tooo rememmmmmberrrrr the maaaagiiiiiic…

I still have the 25th song stuck in my head
The 50th…. ?
Goodness, even reading the lyrics is making me tear up. You don't see modern Disney making an Anniversary Song (or any special campaign) that beautiful and memorable nowadays. That song is right up there with "Celebration the Future Hand in Hand" and "Share A Dream Come True" in terms of memorability and emotion.

The 50th Anniversary Theme is mostly just repeating the word "The Magic is calling, calling, calling" and "The most magical place on earth" and sounds way to pop-ish for me. I honestly prefer the Beacons of Magic variations since those versions are shorter and I can tolerate.

Heck, "Forever Young" and "Live the Magic" (two songs for Disneyland's 60th Anniversary) are the most recent example that I personally love.

Meanwhile, the other two anniversary songs for WDW's 50th, I completely forgot about until now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

In terms of the 50th, the issue for me with the campaigns and songs is that they could be a summer advertising campaign for WDW during any year. The Magic is Calling could have been the 2009 advertising slogan or could be the 2023 one without it fitting any more or less. You Are The Magic is also just like something that was spit out of a randomiser as the title for a new fireworks song. The nighttime spectaculars aren't designed in any way to be specific to the celebration, and the statues could, again, be an unusually uninspired promotion on an off year when they were struggling to come up with something to promote. The selection of characters and the fact there aren't even 50 statues is... weird. All you're really left with, then, are the decorations and the merchandise. Even on the decorations front, is notable that Disneyland Paris restored their castle to its original glory for their anniversary while WDW unveiled a god awful new paint scheme.
They’ve been “recentering expectations” for over a decade.

Not to be a broken record…but most questions on this go back to about the same answer…

Sir_Cliff

It’s tiiiime tooo rememmmmmberrrrr the maaaagiiiiiic…

I still have the 25th song stuck in my head
The 50th…. ?
I have to sheepishly admit that I ordered a Japanese import CD of parade music because I was so nostalgic for the parade version of that song!

It was a good CD, actually. Strange they released it only in Japan considering it was all Disneyland/WDW music.

R-14063026-1585499974-4644.jpeg
R-14063026-1585499974-9249.jpeg

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Goodness, even reading the lyrics is making me tear up. You don't see modern Disney making an Anniversary Song (or any special campaign) that beautiful and memorable nowadays. That song is right up there with "Celebration the Future Hand in Hand" and "Share A Dream Come True" in terms of memorability and emotion.

The 50th Anniversary Theme is mostly just repeating the word "The Magic is calling, calling, calling" and "The most magical place on earth" and sounds way to pop-ish for me. I honestly prefer the Beacons of Magic variations since those versions are shorter and I can tolerate.

Heck, "Forever Young" and "Live the Magic" (two songs for Disneyland's 60th Anniversary) are the most recent example that I personally love.

Meanwhile, the other two anniversary songs for WDW's 50th, I completely forgot about until now.

I actually remember the 15th song as well

15 years….we’re having a party
Disney World….the party’s all year long!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom