Disney's Moana

TyTrap

Caught it yesterday with the family and enjoyed it. Not as much as Zootopia but that could change once the Blu Ray comes out and I can view it some more. Musical vs musical though, I found Frozen to be superior also.
I thought the music from Moana was on par with frozen and even culturally richer.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/27/weekend-box-office-moana

Moana
crosses the weekend finish line with an estimated $55.5 million three-day haul, bringing its five-day holiday tally to $81.1 million.

Moana’s holiday gross falls around $13 million short of the Kristen Bell/Idina Menzel juggernaut’s $93.3 million take over the same frame in 2013.

Disney now occupies the top six slots among five-day Thanksgiving debuts and the top eight for the three-day post-Thanksgiving weekend.

Matt_Black

Yeah, there's a lot more variety in the songs in Moana, and the lyrics lack the "Look how clever we are" that's found in the Frozen songs. Not that I didn't buy the Frozen soundtrack & listen to the heck out of it, but I think Moana overall is just a bit stronger, soundtrack wise.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Moana's songbook is rather tight with five songs, each of which being quite good and advancing the plot...
  1. Where We Are (reprised by Spirit-Gramma)
  2. We Know the Way (reprised as finale)
  3. How Far I’ll Go (reprised by Moana with Spirit-Gramma)
  4. You’re Welcome
  5. Shiny
It reprises 3 of the songs to complete the story. It has a great ensemble number in the beginning and a great choral number as a dream sequence and as the closing number. Lin-Manuel Miranda is a huge Broadway nerd and knows how to structure a musical.

Frozen's songbook also has five good songs. But it also has three non-memorable ones (Ice Cutter Song, Reindeer, and Fixer Upper).
  1. Frozen Heart (Ice Cutters Song)
  2. Do You Want to Build a Snowman?
  3. For the First Time in Forever (reprised with Anna and Elsa in ice castle)
  4. Love Is an Open Door
  5. Let It Go
  6. Reindeer(s) Are Better Than People
  7. In Summer
  8. Fixer Upper
The opening number is unfortunately one of the forgettable ones.

And there's pretty much no songs at all in the third act. It could have used an ensemble number where Hans and henchman are singing about getting the snow witch with Kristoff and Olaf singing a counter melody to that, Elsa singing about letting go of her life to save Arendelle, and Anna singing about letting go of her life to save her sister. Then as a finale, have the townspeople sing a version of First Time in Forever.

But, that's the theater nerd in me. And if they're bringing this to Broadway, they'll have to do something like this. You just can stop singing songs half way through a Broadway musical. The Frozen sing-along makes these issues stand out as the Royal Storytellers just rush through the third act in one minute.

And another nit to pick, songs 2, 3, and 4 are all Elsa-centric. Which just shows how off balance the pacing of music is as a whole.

Sped2424

Original Poster
Moana's songbook is rather tight with five songs, each of which being quite good and advancing the plot...
  1. Where We Are (reprised by Spirit-Gramma)
  2. We Know the Way (reprised as finale)
  3. How Far I’ll Go (reprised by Moana with Spirit-Gramma)
  4. You’re Welcome
  5. Shiny
It reprises 3 of the songs to complete the story. It has a great ensemble number in the beginning and a great choral number as a dream sequence and as the closing number. Lin-Manuel Miranda is a huge Broadway nerd and knows how to structure a musical.

Frozen's songbook also has five good songs. But it also has three non-memorable ones (Ice Cutter Song, Reindeer, and Fixer Upper).
  1. Frozen Heart (Ice Cutters Song)
  2. Do You Want to Build a Snowman?
  3. For the First Time in Forever (reprised with Anna and Elsa in ice castle)
  4. Love Is an Open Door
  5. Let It Go
  6. Reindeer(s) Are Better Than People
  7. In Summer
  8. Fixer Upper
The opening number is unfortunately one of the forgettable ones.

And there's pretty much no songs at all in the third act. It could have used an ensemble number where Hans and henchman are singing about getting the snow witch with Kristoff and Olaf singing a counter melody to that, Elsa singing about letting go of her life to save Arendelle, and Anna singing about letting go of her life to save her sister. Then as a finale, have the townspeople sing a version of First Time in Forever.

But, that's the theater nerd in me. And if they're bringing this to Broadway, they'll have to do something like this. You just can stop singing songs half way through a Broadway musical. The Frozen sing-along makes these issues stand out as the Royal Storytellers just rush through the third act in one minute.

And another nit to pick, songs 2, 3, and 4 are all Elsa-centric. Which just shows how off balance the pacing of music is as a whole.
I agree that Frozen missed a third act song but I don't think it was due to the songwriters given robert lopez's recent tweet lol
upload_2016-11-28_3-47-31.png

Frozen could have benefitted from an ending number most definitly.

prberk

The only negative impact that I think this film could possibly have is that now even Musker and Clements might not continue to push for hand drawn animation.

I still like hand-drawn animation. Computer animation is brilliant and has its place, but so does beautiful, rich hand-drawn animation. I think of the choice to use watercolors for Lilo and Stitch, as well as the gorgeous beauty of Pinocchio and Bambi -- but some of the best actually is when they use both technologies to advance the art (Beauty and the Beast ballroom dancing; some parts of The Lion King and Brother Bear).

Just my thoughts.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I still like hand-drawn animation. Computer animation is brilliant and has its place, but so does beautiful, rich hand-drawn animation. I think of the choice to use watercolors for Lilo and Stitch, as well as the gorgeous beauty of Pinocchio and Bambi -- but some of the best actually is when they use both technologies to advance the art (Beauty and the Beast ballroom dancing; some parts of The Lion King and Brother Bear).

Just my thoughts.

Have you seen some of Glen Keane's newer work..

prberk

On the one hand, Glen is a fantastic talent. On the other, he was the inspiration for those terrible "Billy takes over the strip" segments in Family Circus, and that is unforgivable!

I remember they were fun, but maybe I only saw a few of those.

Matt_Black

I remember they were fun, but maybe I only saw a few of those.

familycircus_billy1.jpg

Take a look at that. Take a good long look. I did, and I'm sterile now! It was looking at "Isle of View" several times to get what the joke was supposed to be that put me over the edge into never having children. One day, I'll be in an office, talking with my wife and doctor, and the doctor will ask, "How did this happen?" and I'll simply answer "Family Circus" and they'll nod with understanding and pity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom