News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

dsinclair

Unless you book a good livery service who is willing to sit curbside and wait for you (not allowed, but people do it) I don't think there are any options without a substantial wait at MCO. If you've seen the pick up area, you know what I mean.

Disney was often fighting with Mears to get the buses on to road more frequently (the faster people were on site, the more opportunty to spend money).
It was frustrating to sit on a bus and watch it slowly load up to the point where we're squashed in like sardines. From my experience, this is the Mears business model and what we will see with the paid service. Not a relaxing start to a vacation.

I will be using Lyft or renting come 2022.

I think peoples experience vary widely. When my family last went in Oct 2019 there were maybe 5 other people on our bus on the way to WDW, and only double that when we left.

Chip Chipperson

I'll probably stick to renting a car 99% of the time. I rented for the 1st time in May and it was easier than I thought to get around other than parking at the TTC being a little more of a hassle compared to the other parks. We rarely check bags, so we walked off the plane with our carry-on bag and walked right to our rental with Alamo's skip the line feature. Even getting out of the parking lot was way faster than our usual wait times for DME and we didn't have to stop at other resorts before ours. It was a great "free" option (I know, I know - it was built into the room rate) but I'd only consider paying for the Mears service if we have a stay not using our DVC points since parking is free when using points. At $100 each way, the private car option really isn't bad. I'd pay more than that getting a car service from home to the airport.

note2001

I think peoples experience vary widely. When my family last went in Oct 2019 there were maybe 5 other people on our bus on the way to WDW, and only double that when we left.
We were there in Oct 2019 also. Totally different experience.
It also does depend on the time of day and day of week.

I tend to travel mid afternoon early in the week. In the past we found if we traveled late at night the buses were more likely to be emptier, but who wants to waste a whole vacation day in airports?
I'll probably stick to renting a car 99% of the time. I rented for the 1st time in May and it was easier than I thought to get around other than parking at the TTC being a little more of a hassle compared to the other parks. We rarely check bags, so we walked off the plane with our carry-on bag and walked right to our rental with Alamo's skip the line feature. Even getting out of the parking lot was way faster than our usual wait times for DME and we didn't have to stop at other resorts before ours. It was a great "free" option (I know, I know - it was built into the room rate) but I'd only consider paying for the Mears service if we have a stay not using our DVC points since parking is free when using points. At $100 each way, the private car option really isn't bad. I'd pay more than that getting a car service from home to the airport.
I like driving too. It gives me the option to head to stores or over to Universal on a whim.
Be aware that Google maps has been messing up on Disney property now more than ever. Stick to the signs.

dsinclair

With MEARS it will take 90 minutes to fill the bus and then it will make 90 stops at the sketchiest locations in Orlando.
Considering that only hotels on WDW property are allowed options as drop off/pick up locations when going through the reservation system I think you're wrong. Please lose the hyperbole.

Unless of course you are talking about the WDW value resorts as the sketchiest locations in Orlando.

dsinclair

We were there in Oct 2019 also. Totally different experience.
It also does depend on the time of day and day of week.

I tend to travel mid afternoon early in the week. In the past we found if we traveled late at night the buses were more likely to be emptier, but who wants to waste a whole vacation day in airports?
Absolutely, we arrived mid day on a Monday. None of the lines were very busy but some of the buses going to other resorts were more filled than ours.

Disney4family

You should be able to get an Uber/Lyft XL for much less than the price of 4 Mears connect tickets, which should have plenty of room for all your luggage (they are large SUVs). And then you're going straight to your resort without having to wait for other guests, other stops, etc.

If Mears is going to handle your luggage for you that would be a different calculation, but I doubt that happens.
When we saw the DME lines at the airport, we took a Lyft XL instead.
5 adults. Luggage. Backpacks.
Direct to our resort.
$70

Disney4family

How many of those are "in the wild" .. if a couple of large vacation planes arrive, will there be enough Uber/Lyft XL to service all families ? Or do they have to wait a couple of hours ?
We didn't wait at all for our Lyft XL a few weeks ago. In the 5 min it took us to walk to the pick up area, he was driving there. It was perfect timing.

dolbyman

We didn't wait at all for our Lyft XL a few weeks ago. In the 5 min it took us to walk to the pick up area, he was driving there. It was perfect timing.

If that is so, then great.
We hardly ever use ride hail stuff. We did use the Mini Vans a couple of times in 2019 and to catch a ride to KnottsBerry farm also in 2019. That's it.

I see the appeal for people, but I personally rather have (hopefully) professional drivers (vs. Lyft/Uber) and professional accommodation (vs. AirBnB).. but that is just me.

Disney4family

If that is so, then great.
We hardly ever use ride hail stuff. We did use the Mini Vans a couple of times in 2019 and to catch a ride to KnottsBerry farm also in 2019. That's it.

I see the appeal for people, but I personally rather have (hopefully) professional drivers (vs. Lyft/Uber) and professional accommodation (vs. AirBnB).. but that is just me.
We never used it before either. My husband loved sitting on the DME bus on his way to the resort. Like many, he believed that's when his vacation began.
However, a few weeks ago, we made the trek down to check in for the DME. The line to check in met us halfway there. It desperately needed the CM to stand with a sign designating the end of the line as if it were an attraction. We watched so many people walk past the line only to turn around in amazement that they had to get on the end of it. Of course, they could have confused it with the disgustingly long lines for all of the car rental services that were filled with people who just saw the DME line.
After waiting to check in for DME, we entered our line to wait for the bus. We were greeted with a sign that said we had at least a 45 min wait. That's when we decided to try Lyft from the airport. We've used the app when we tried the Minnie Vans in the past on property. We never used it from the airport. I'm glad it worked out for us. It saved us a lot of time and stress.

TransportationGuy

With MEARS think an HOUR and 45 minutes, Did a conference at the Gaylord and did not rent a car because this was a technical conference which pretty much ran from 8AM to 10PM daily. MEARS wants full buses and they will hold the bus till it's full. then next time at same conference same place we rented a car.

Short version MEARS SUCKS.
On Mears corporate contracts, that frequency is dictated by the client and operated as contracted 99% of the time
Unless you book a good livery service who is willing to sit curbside and wait for you (not allowed, but people do it) I don't think there are any options without a substantial wait at MCO. If you've seen the pick up area, you know what I mean.

Disney was often fighting with Mears to get the buses on to road more frequently (the faster people were on site, the more opportunty to spend money).
It was frustrating to sit on a bus and watch it slowly load up to the point where we're squashed in like sardines. From my experience, this is the Mears business model and what we will see with the paid service. Not a relaxing start to a vacation.

I will be using Lyft or renting come 2022.
Disney’s contract was set up to pay per person and they went with a less frequent run time and multiple stops as a way to reduce Disney’s cost

cranbiz

$32 pp isn't all that bad but what will it become when the introductory period is up? $50 pp?

Uber/Lyft is going to be more economical.

I always wanted a car, so I drove (before I was living in FL and after I moved to NC). My wife is disabled with a HC hang tag so I don't have to pay for parking. I'll drive when we decide to go again.

MrPromey

$32 pp isn't all that bad but what will it become when the introductory period is up? $50 pp?

Uber/Lyft is going to be more economical.

I always wanted a car, so I drove (before I was living in FL and after I moved to NC). My wife is disabled with a HC hang tag so I don't have to pay for parking. I'll drive when we decide to go again.

Remember though, that $32 per person is a silent price increase from Disney. They're taking away an included benefit that you (or people like you) have been paying for over the past 15 years as a part of what was included in your resort stay to pocket that money and making you pay it directly, outside of your reservation, now.

So for a family of four, assuming 2 adults, 2 children, you're now paying $116 on January 1st for something not quite as good as what was included in your booking at the end of December.

Some people want to argue it was "free" but nothing that is free-with-purchase is ever actually free.*

This is a part of Disney's fleecing by a million pennies strategy.

What's the over/under on them following this up in 2022 with the add-on of resort fees, too, you think?

*to those people, I'd ask what else they think is "free" about their stay? How about if there is an up-charge to use the pool, per day? Would they accept paying $3 a roll for toilet paper in their room when "complementary" toilet paper is no longer included and of course, this being Disney, it would be $3 because everything is more expensive on-property, right? How about if there is a surcharge on the bill for the running water, also no longer "complementary/free"?

Free-with-purchase (a.k.a. this is free but it wouldn't be if you weren't paying us) is a marketing concept, not an actual gift.

I know some of that sounds over-the-top and I am being silly but
where people draw the lines on what was/is apparently a benevolent "free" gift from Disney and what they were/are actually paying their inflated room prices or theme park admission prices for boggles my mind sometimes - not to say you're one of those people.

Last edited:

skypilot2922

Considering that only hotels on WDW property are allowed options as drop off/pick up locations when going through the reservation system I think you're wrong. Please lose the hyperbole.

Unless of course you are talking about the WDW value resorts as the sketchiest locations in Orlando.

I did the Mears bus ONCE when I went to Orlando for a conference at the Gaylord Palms, It took 90 minutes to fill every seat on the bus and then it proceeded to stop at a bunch of motels advertising hourly rates. Gaylord palms was the LAST stop.

Then on return trip bus was half full when it arrived at the palms and left without most of us notwithstanding that we had so called "reservations" for transport back to MCO. Bus driver said next bus will be here in 2 hours what about our reservations "not my problem" said driver many calls were made to town car companies. 3 of us from 3 different companies shared a town car on way back. Never again.

MEARS SUCKS.

skypilot2922

So you got a scenic tour of Orlando / Kissimmee not many that go to WDW even see!

Yeah, and I've made sure since then to not see it again as sketchy is an understatement, Motels with hourly rates the only other place I've seen that is in Chicago around Midway airport (not in the best part of town) and Vegas. I forgot San Jose has more than a few I had a cheap boss and we stayed at a 'budget' hotel in San Jose CA, for one night... even my boss did not like all the gunfire in the night and the peeps pounding on the door at 2am.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Mears sucked 20 years ago…and it got pricey then…

don’t see this going any other way.

maybe Lyft/Uber controls the prices?…but the more that use that the higher it goes…so not really

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Mears sucked 20 years ago…and it got pricey then…

don’t see this going any other way.

maybe Lyft/Uber controls the prices?…but the more that use that the higher it goes…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom