News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

BoarderPhreak

So now for three people, it'll cost you a cool $100 ($91+ for adults/child) - for what used to be free (DME). Awesome. Though to be fair, DME was sloooow. And killed any chance of a "half day" on your departure date due to pickup window... IIRC it was more than two hours? Wasn't it like three?

Isn't a taxi or towncar a comparable option? I don't remember what it cost, a few years ago. I'm tempted to say $150ish? At least that was door-to-door and not shared.

UNCgolf

Isn't a taxi or towncar a comparable option? I don't remember what it cost, a few years ago. I'm tempted to say $150ish? At least that was door-to-door and not shared.

This is why I suggested Uber/Lyft. Essentially the same as a taxi but considerably cheaper. Door-to-door and not shared.

scoobygirl39541

The main huge problem that Disney is facing with all these up charges is... I'm paying extra now for what I used to get included. MDE, Fastpases, extra hours (some to 3am!). A few years ago all of this was included in the price. Now it's getting SO expensive to take a WDW vacation, but on top of the rising costs, you now have to pay extra for a shuttle bus, extra for fastpasses, and extra for after hours! To the casual guest, they won't notice or care and most will forget. However, for those of us who literally can get included shuttle service from the airport on December 31 and now have to pay $100+ for a family on January 1 onward... It stings. And for those of us who remember the luggage pickup service paired with the bus service, it really stings. All at higher prices!

People will still go and people will still pay, but man do those fresh wounds sting for those of us who remember.

Last edited:

note2001

Initial pricing from Mears is up on their website. Two levels of service. Standard is the bus service, and it looks like Premium is a private or semi private car or van.

Found the info on Blog Mickey. https://blogmickey.com/2021/08/rese...Cn-7mcQKJYKp0D0lgNhPcI9b2n4QxFp_BQ-B1kf9Yrt0Y

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Initial pricing from Mears is up on their website. Two levels of service. Standard is the bus service, and it looks like Premium is a private or semi private car or van.

Found the info on Blog Mickey. https://blogmickey.com/2021/08/rese...Cn-7mcQKJYKp0D0lgNhPcI9b2n4QxFp_BQ-B1kf9Yrt0Y

I still can't see any reason for someone to pay these prices. The bus service is much less convenient than an Uber/Lyft (and still potentially more expensive depending on how many people you have) and the private car/van is more expensive.

LittleBuford

I still can't see any reason for someone to pay these prices. The bus service is much less convenient than an Uber/Lyft (and still potentially more expensive depending on how many people you have) and the private car/van is more expensive.
Some people have personal-safety concerns when it comes to Uber and Lyft. I don’t share them myself, but I’m sympathetic to them.

note2001

I'd like to know what would happen in the following scenario, because knowing Mears at some point it will happen:

A family of 4 (parents and teens) books the premium service, round trip for $200 (plus tax and tip?) but the car is late. Very late.
When the driver arrives it's a 10 person van and they are piled in with a family of 3 with drop off at the other family's hotel first.

So essentially they had the bus service just in a smaller vehicle.

dsinclair

I'd like to know what would happen in the following scenario, because knowing Mears at some point it will happen:

A family of 4 (parents and teens) books the premium service, round trip for $200 (plus tax and tip?) but the car is late. Very late.
When the driver arrives it's a 10 person van and they are piled in with a family of 3 with drop off at the other family's hotel first.

So essentially they had the bus service just in a smaller vehicle.
A refund? Price adjustment? This isn't inventing the wheel.

The same thing that happens when any company misdelivers on a promised product or service.

UNCgolf

Some people have personal-safety concerns when it comes to Uber and Lyft. I don’t share them myself, but I’m sympathetic to them.

You can say that about almost anything, though. There's no real reason to believe you'd be more in danger from an Uber/Lyft driver than you would be from a Mears driver (or a regular taxi), especially if you're in a group.

If you're solo, especially as a woman, that belief is slightly more understandable (even if the chances are incredibly small), but in that case the Mears bus would actually be cheaper anyways, if less convenient.

LittleBuford

You can say that about almost anything, though. There's no real reason to believe you'd be more in danger from an Uber/Lyft driver than you would be from a Mears driver (or a regular taxi), especially if you're in a group.

If you're solo, the Mears bus would actually be cheaper, if less convenient.
I disagree. If I were worried about my personal safety (as distinct from road safety), I'd feel much less vulnerable on a large bus with other people than in the confines of a car.

ETA: I've had two very negative experiences involving unscrupulous (licensed) taxi drivers, one of whom tried to strike me in the face when I pointed out that he had selected the wrong tariff on his meter (it was broad daylight, and he was trying to charge me the more expensive night rate). I was with a friend both times. The likelihood of something like this happening on a bus is much lower.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I disagree. If I were worried about my personal safety (as distinct from road safety), I'd feel much less vulnerable on a large bus with other people than in the confines of a car.

You quoted before my edit about solo travelers. It's a bit more understandable there; you're just trading convenience. And I meant a Mears private car when talking about safety, not the Mears bus.

In the grand scheme, though, you are incredibly unlikely to be the victim of a crime in an Uber or Lyft. Sure, it can happen, but it's a bit like being afraid of the potential side effects of a vaccine instead of whatever the vaccine is protecting you from.

And I say that as someone who thinks Uber and Lyft are ridiculous companies with numerous problems and no path to profitability.

LittleBuford

You quoted before my edit about solo travelers. It's a bit more understandable there; you're just trading convenience.

In the grand scheme, though, you are incredibly unlikely to be the victim of a crime in an Uber or Lyft. Sure, it can happen, but it's a bit like being afraid of the potential side effects of a vaccine instead of whatever the vaccine is protecting you from.

And I say that as someone who thinks Uber and Lyft are ridiculous companies with numerous problems and no path to profitability.
See my ETA also!

Yes, it's unlikely, but it does happen, and I can understand why some would be wary.

And I say that as someone who uses Uber and Lyft quite a bit (or rather did before the pandemic).

UNCgolf

See my ETA also!

Yes, it's unlikely, but it does happen, and I can understand why some would be wary.

And I say that as someone who uses Uber and Lyft quite a bit (or rather did before the pandemic).

Right, like I said, I understand it more if you're a solo traveler or single parent with children. The bus full of people would certainly feel safer (and likely is safer, if only slightly). I was talking more about families/groups (which I would guess is the vast majority of Disney travelers flying into MCO), and also the Mears private car option. I can't see any reason to ever use the Mears private car when an Uber/Lyft is the same service for less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom