News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

Wendy Pleakley

Seeing what "Magical Express" costs as a paid option drives home that Disney fans really react well to things that have minimal value.

We spend hundreds or thousands to stay on site vs. off site, in part because something like Magical Express is included "for free", and it's not anywhere close to being something that justifies Disney prices.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy onsite stays at WDW, but the perception of what one gets for their money doesn't reflect the reality.

Dreaming of Disney World

That seems perfectly acceptable to me 32 bucks US (40 CAD) roundtrip per adult ? easy peasy...
Well it's an extra $120 for my family that we didn't have to pay before...

Also the cheaper option says you will get a bus or van. Young kids can go without a car seat in a bus but not on a van. So this presents a problem unless the company guarantees we can ride in a bus.

dolbyman

Kids are never part of our trips (knock on wood) and I am sure that has been discussed before, but a family of 4 & luggage would hardly fit into a standard car Uber, or am i mistaken?

A shuttle bus would fit luggage and strollers just fine. (and all busses I have ever seen had kids sit in the seats.... isn't this exactly what magical express is for ?)

In terms of airport to park transport we have done:

Busses (WDW Magical Express, DLRP VEA, TDL Shuttle Bus)
Vans (SuperShuttle DL)
Taxi's (HKDL,SDL)

all in 2019.. So no matter if shuttle,van or taxi we always arrived at our destination (without renting a car)

bcoachable

In the past- We were willing to stay on sight for much higher priced hotel rooms, understanding that at least Disney would help with the transportation cost- now they are not… so we won’t be staying on property…
In fact… oh never mind-
Have a magical day!

UNCgolf

Kids are never part of our trips (knock on wood) and I am sure that has been discussed before, but a family of 4 & luggage would hardly fit into a standard car Uber, or am i mistaken?

A shuttle bus would fit luggage and strollers just fine. (and all busses I have ever seen had kids sit in the seats.... isn't this exactly what magical express is for ?)

In terms of airport to park transport we have done:

Busses (WDW Magical Express, DLRP VEA, TDL Shuttle Bus)
Vans (SuperShuttle DL)
Taxi's (HKDL,SDL)

all in 2019.. So no matter if shuttle,van or taxi we always arrived at our destination (without renting a car)

You should be able to get an Uber/Lyft XL for much less than the price of 4 Mears connect tickets, which should have plenty of room for all your luggage (they are large SUVs). And then you're going straight to your resort without having to wait for other guests, other stops, etc.

If Mears is going to handle your luggage for you that would be a different calculation, but I doubt that happens.

Sir_Cliff

Seeing what "Magical Express" costs as a paid option drives home that Disney fans really react well to things that have minimal value.

We spend hundreds or thousands to stay on site vs. off site, in part because something like Magical Express is included "for free", and it's not anywhere close to being something that justifies Disney prices.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy onsite stays at WDW, but the perception of what one gets for their money doesn't reflect the reality.
Indeed, and it shows how cheap it is for Disney to help people justify the huge expense of staying at a Disney resort.

Of course, now they've taken it away they're probably already learning that they were spending too much to convince people. Everyone honestly seems cool with having to pay the extra and hotel prices going up. Who can blame them?

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I just did a quick check -- right now, an UberXL from the Orlando airport to the Grand Floridian is estimated to cost $51.60, so if you had that both ways it would be less than the price of 4 Mears tickets and it's far more convenient.

Because of that convenience factor, I would think the Mears service would need to cost less than an Uber/Lyft to justify using it, not more.

UNCgolf

How many of those are "in the wild" .. if a couple of large vacation planes arrive, will there be enough Uber/Lyft XL to service all families ? Or do they have to wait a couple of hours ?

I have no idea -- I'd expect there to be a ton in Orlando, though, and probably even more now that Magical Express is ending. I doubt you'd have to wait long to get one.

I'd expect there to be a decent wait for a Mears bus anyways.

LittleBuford

I have no idea -- I'd expect there to be a ton in Orlando, though, and probably even more now that Magical Express is ending. I doubt you'd have to wait long to get one.

I'd expect there to be a decent wait for a Mears bus anyways.
You can also reserve a vehicle in advance, though I’m not sure how well that would go in the event of flight or airport delays.

DisneyDreamer08

I am actually happy with this pricing. I am going solo to Disney in January and I’ve never used Uber or Lyft before and it’s not something I’m comfortable using alone. So $32 round trip for me? Sign me up. We normally travel as a family of 4 and even for the four of us, I don’t think it’s terrible.

skypilot2922

Well thats ugly, Figure 200 bucks if you dont want to ride in a overcrowded van.

I never thought it would make more sense to fly the Arrow to MCO and get a black car. but now it does. 1100 air miles (700 miles range) to MCO burning 10GPH figure a fuel stop midway and have black car meet us at the GA terminal at MCO

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
For a larger family, A private car won’t be that much more maybe $15 or $20, and includes car seats, and you get to leave as soon as you get your luggage arrives, and you don’t have to wait for a bus to load, and you go straight to your hotel without stopping at others, and a lot of them will include a free grocery stop if you want

UNCgolf

For a larger family, A private car won’t be that much more maybe $15 or $20, and includes car seats, and you get to leave as soon as you get your luggage arrives, and you don’t have to wait for a bus to load, and you go straight to your hotel without stopping at others, and a lot of them will include a free grocery stop if you want

Exactly. This service doesn't make any sense to me at this price point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom