News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

bcoachable

Wondering if any of you who took the time to contact disney on this issue:

would care to share the responses that you received with the rest of the class?

Buck Wheelie

I've notice in comments some posters have referred to ME and the luggage transfer as being free. I wouldn't consider these services free since their costs are built in to the room charge. Problem is the guest will still be paying the cost of these services since the price of resort stays are not going to decrease.

Vegas Disney Fan

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the hotels at DLP within walking distance of the train station? At WDW, you would be dropped off "close" to Disney Springs but then you would need some other kind of transportation to your resort. America is so much bigger then the Countries in Europe that it is hard to compare the two. Many inner cities have trains that work because everything is in close proximity. But in a place like Orlando, where it is spread out, trains are not a viable option as "easy commute". WDW property alone is larger then many European Countries.
You can walk but unless you are staying at the DL resort they are on the other side of their Downtown Disney, probably a half mile, the buses are right outside the train station. We usually just walk because it’s so enjoyable but the buses are faster.

UNCgolf

I've notice in comments some posters have referred to ME and the luggage transfer as being free. I wouldn't consider these services free since their costs are built in to the room charge. Problem is the guest will still be paying the cost of these services since the price of resort stays are not going to decrease.

While this is of course true, I think it's become common parlance to call something free if it's included in the price you're already paying. Mainly because, as you said, when they remove such a perk the room price doesn't decline to correspond with the removal of the service.

Essentially when someone says it's free they just mean it was not an additional, separate charge; it came with the price of your resort stay. Parking fees were also formerly in this category.

wendysue

We went ahead and renewed our AP's just before this was announced. If I had waited a bit, we wouldn't have renewed, but since we did, we hopefully get to use the AP's and Magical Express a few times this year and then it's over. If I have to rent a car and pay to park or pay for a shuttle, it will be to go elsewhere --offsite hotels, Universal, Sea World, etc. Or maybe even not to Florida at all. :)

Animaniac93-98

While this is of course true, I think it's become common parlance to call something free if it's included in the price you're already paying. Mainly because, as you said, when they remove such a perk the room price doesn't decline to correspond with the removal of the service.

Essentially when someone says it's free they just mean it was not an additional, separate charge; it came with the price of your resort stay. Parking fees were also formerly in this category.

And the convenience/value of Disney used to be paying one price, up front and not having to be charged for overnight parking, airport transfers, resort fees, internet fees, or asking if gym use is included etc. On top of EMH, free magic bands, package delivery, free transportation to the parks etc

The more of those things that get removed, the more the value of paying to stay on site declines.

Vegas Disney Fan

Would Brightline be much quicker than a direct bus? I’ll admit I’m ignorant on the specifics but I suspect the comparison above isn’t all that relevant. I think WDW is closer to MCO than DLP is to CDG. And Paris is a major city with massive differences in traffic/congestion compared to central Florida. even if it’s faster, you have to deal with two different boarding/transferring luggage and depending on how the timing works out, you could get substantial time loss in the process due to that.

Taking too long never seemed like an issue for MDE to me. And it won’t be an issue on whatever Mears bus replacement will exist (or whatever company fills the vacuum) or just taking a towncar or Uber/Lyft/taxi. All those options would seem to fit WDWs core guests much better than Brightline will.
They are both about 20 mile journeys and with CDG and DLP both being on the outskirts of Paris the traffic is similar to what you’d experience in Florida.

The big unknown is going to be the frequency, at DLP the trains run every 10-15 minutes so you never have a long wait, with MDE I’ve been fortunate to be the last one on before departure but I’ve also been one of the first on a bus and then sat for 25 minutes before departing, depending on luck and which stop your resort is the bus can be anywhere from 30 minutes to more than an hour before you arrive at your resort. With the speed and frequency of the train in Paris you can plan on 20
minutes or less from airport to walking into DLP.
High speed trains are also much more comfortable and are incredibly fun to ride compared to a bus.

tanc

Also let's think about international guests, this can screw them over. People who spend hours on a plane I think want the most convenient service to their rooms. Could you imagine having to do the following options :

1. Rent a car and pay inflated parking prices, and hope you get used to reversed driving seats/roads

2. Use the train (which I hear is not coming to 2023) and still have to lug all your luggage to another source of transportation that is presumably closer to the resorts.

3. Buy an Uber/lyft to take you to your resort, which is a costly method especially if you have a large party.

This is 2021, and providing an easy process is what people want. Going through a terminal or an airport is already tiring enough. What about people who fly 10+ hours? Do you really think they want to lug luggage all day? People from Japan have to take 2 planes to get to Florida. This just seems like no one there actually thought this one out.

Chi84

Premium Member
Also let's think about international guests, this can screw them over. People who spend hours on a plane I think want the most convenient service to their rooms. Could you imagine having to do the following options :

1. Rent a car and pay inflated parking prices, and hope you get used to reversed driving seats/roads

2. Use the train (which I hear is not coming to 2023) and still have to lug all your luggage to another source of transportation that is presumably closer to the resorts.

3. Buy an Uber/lyft to take you to your resort, which is a costly method especially if you have a large party.

This is 2021, and providing an easy process is what people want. Going through a terminal or an airport is already tiring enough. What about people who fly 10+ hours? Do you really think they want to lug luggage all day? People from Japan have to take 2 planes to get to Florida. This just seems like no one there actually thought this one out.
The sad thing is I’m sure they considered all these things and made the decision regardless.

pauj15

Wondering if any of you who took the time to contact disney on this issue:

would care to share the responses that you received with the rest of the class?
Not the entire message I got back, because the rest was thanking me for contacting them and linking me to relevant information, but:

"A lot has changed since we originally launched the service 15 years ago. Today, our Guests are seeking more flexible options that can save time with using a direct service to reach their destinations. Guests are also able to better plan for their arrival and departure days. We apologize for your disappointment with the announced changes. You may be certain that your thoughtful comments were valued and they have been shared with the appropriate Leaders."

I would definitely recommend for everyone who cares about this issue to reach out to Disney. I don't think there's precedent of them going back on something because of backlash, but it can't hurt to let them know how you feel

note2001

Not the entire message I got back, because the rest was thanking me for contacting them and linking me to relevant information, but:

"A lot has changed since we originally launched the service 15 years ago. Today, our Guests are seeking more flexible options that can save time with using a direct service to reach their destinations. Guests are also able to better plan for their arrival and departure days. We apologize for your disappointment with the announced changes. You may be certain that your thoughtful comments were valued and they have been shared with the appropriate Leaders."

I would definitely recommend for everyone who cares about this issue to reach out to Disney. I don't think there's precedent of them going back on something because of backlash, but it can't hurt to let them know how you feel
Who/what address did you write to?

TrojanUSC

Or, Mears, which operated shuttle service long before DME, will continue to operate essentially the same shuttle service, just cutting Disney out of it. People traveled to WDW for 35+ years before DME.

Shouldigo12

Even if Disney saw a noticeable decline in bookings for 2022, they would likely not be able to put two and two together and simply look for others things to cut while refusing to discount the rooms.
Ok, so you keep staying off site then. It's not like if they don't reverse the decision by 2023 you're going to be forced to stay on property again.

cmb5002

As a dvc member, I'm a little less impacted by this as I avoid the parking charge. Still extremely disappointed as it removes a significant convenience with a young child.

I am curious if DME was billed to the resort itself (and therefore my dues) or if it was sunk cost spread over multiple different divisions. I believe it was the former.

I can also hope beyond all hopes that brightline sees this from Disney and decides to throw a siding or two on their track and run a shuttle between MCO and wdw.

Ultimately though, I expect a line of Minnie Vans to be waiting at the airport, charging a premium for a "themed" ride.

The Great Gonzo

Damnnnnn, I planned to stay at Animal next time and use just bus transportation. Looks like that's out the window. I guess I could take an uber, but... I don't like strangers and small talk with strangers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom