News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

UNCgolf

I know it’s too soon for all of you who are mourning the loss of MDE, but I never really understood how so many fans came to see riding in busses as a magical part of their Disney vacation. People Mover trains at MCO, then a charter bus to your resort, then a city bus to the parks. As someone who routinely rides the bus to get around in my city, it just never seemed that special. I always wished for more from Disney in transportation—something original (PeopleMover, autonomous pods, Monorail, SkyLiner etc.) within WDW and to/from the airport.

I think for most people the luggage handling was the biggest part, not the bus itself. It was a huge perk to not have to deal with your luggage at all; it just showed up at your room.

willsdad01

This is sad news for families. Our first trip using DME was in 2007 and we've used it ever since, even when my wife and I flew down just the two of us last year. I understand COVID has hit the bottom line in a significant way for Disney. That said, now it seems Disney World is becoming a giant theme park not dissimilar to Universal. Yes, it's always been a theme park, but part of the "magic" of visiting was saying goodbye to your luggage at the airport, arriving in Orlando and seeing them greet you at their Magical Express area and whisk you away to your resort with zero stress. You were entering "their world". We always used Disney transportation. Could it take longer? Yes, but again...it's vacation and I don't want to have to worry about a car or an Uber. The vacation began with receiving your tags at home along with the magic bands. Once at the airport, bye bye to the luggage only to see it again in the room sometime later after arrival. Off to the parks! Now, it will be an Uber, Taxi, or Rental Car which is not attractive in any way, wait at the hotel for storage...ugh. Keep in mind, I thought Disney was all about "experience" and viewing the vacation through the lens of the guest.

Since 2007, a lot has changed and not all for the better. No night time parade at MK anymore. In order to watch the fireworks/castle projection you have to nail a spot early as now the castle is part of the show or pay to have a good spot. Planning can be more difficult with the app as you have to know exactly where you plan to be on which day. Most recently, no more complimentary magic bands. We'll be back and will stay on property because that's still part of the magic, but instead of taking away, they need to add back...add the nighttime parade...immerse the guests so they want to stay on property. 30-minute early entry is a joke.

jaklgreen

The train from CDG to Disneyland Paris is very similar. You get your bags, take them on the train with you, unload at the DL station, and then load them onto a resort bus outside the station. The downside is it’s more luggage maneuvering, the upside is the high speed train takes 10 minutes compared to a 35 minute drive.

We‘ve done the trip via commuter rail (RER - about $10 and took an hour, would never do this again with luggage), via hired car (about $30 and about 35 minutes), and via the high speed train (about $45 and 10 minutes) and IMO the high speed train is by far the best.

I enjoy the Magical Express but if the train can get me out of traffic and to my resort a half hour sooner than a car I’ll be on it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the hotels at DLP within walking distance of the train station? At WDW, you would be dropped off "close" to Disney Springs but then you would need some other kind of transportation to your resort. America is so much bigger then the Countries in Europe that it is hard to compare the two. Many inner cities have trains that work because everything is in close proximity. But in a place like Orlando, where it is spread out, trains are not a viable option as "easy commute". WDW property alone is larger then many European Countries.

corran horn

Oh come on, you're being deliberately disingenuous here. I've also never used MDE and would happily pay less for my room, but there's literally a 0% chance that room rates decrease because they're no longer offering it.

Once 'they' see what they can do to you 'they' rarely if ever uncross that Rubicon.

(see also: bag-check fees)

Fox&Hound

Train being online by 2023 for Springs is iffy. This train station proposal is probably the most firm one I’ve seen for WDW in over a decade.

Also, the goal here is to effectively recreate the CDG->DLP transfer process. Guests have the option of third party train, third party bus, or any other transportation services that the guest books.

Unfortunately, there will not be all of these options at first.

Also, I’m getting conflicting reports about whether Mears’s paid replacement will be allowed to go to the resorts (it might be forced to drop at Springs like Brightline, but that’s not firm yet).

I don't understand why Disney would want to funnel all of their guests (with luggage) through Disney Springs. Then they would all have to find travel to their hotels. This seems like a logistical nightmare...

Satans Hockey

I've never stayed in the bubble before, I generally drive down or fly and rent a car so I can't say I'm upset about MDE leaving but I definitely get why people are. I only took an Uber to and from the airport during one trip and for me it's too long of a drive to be in an Uber and I'll never do it again.

Personally I have a low tolerance for Ubers/Lyfts for anything that is more than a 15 min drive and Disney is like 35+ mins and can be way more if there's traffic. Besides some of them being absolutely awful at driving a car, I almost always end up with a driver who won't shut up and wants to give me their life story which most of the time is something of a sad story.

It's not that I lack empathy for some of the drivers that have done this but when I'm paying money for a service that goes from point a to point b I would much prefer to do it without feeling like crap when leaving the car because I didn't sign up to hear about how you were just divorced and now your kids hate you or how you just got out of an abusive relationship. It's wild how much some of these drivers openly talk about their lives to people they will never see again.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I've never stayed in the bubble before, I generally drive down or fly and rent a car so I can't say I'm upset about MDE leaving but I definitely get why people are. I only took an Uber to and from the airport during one trip and for me it's too long of a drive to be in an Uber and I'll never do it again.

Personally I have a low tolerance for Ubers/Lyfts for anything that is more than a 15 min drive and Disney is like 35+ mins and can be way more if there's traffic. Besides some of them being absolutely awful at driving a car, I almost always end up with a driver who won't shut up and wants to give me their life story which most of the time is something of a sad story.

It's not that I lack empathy for some of the drivers that have done this but when I'm paying money for a service that goes from point a to point b I would much prefer to do it without feeling like crap when leaving the car because I didn't sign up to hear about how you were just divorced and now your kids hate you or how you just got out of an abusive relationship. It's wild how much some of these drivers openly talk about their lives to people they will never see again.
That is cause they are all jacked up on coffee or something else and can't stop talking. They are told if they are "friendly" they will make more money

M:SpilotISTC12

Disney takes away something but doesn’t lower prices.

Disney fans: “thank you sir may I have another!”
1610469980960.gif

Fox&Hound

I seem to recall hinting at this possibility in the Brightline thread.

That said, Disney has a plan to offer a premium airport transfer ala the Minnie Van airport service. It is expected to be at a generally inaccessible price point for most. Whether a luggage transfer/airline check-in will still be included appears to be TBD.

Brightline to Disney won’t be online until 2023 at earliest (looking iffy). Plan is to advertise train to bus from the Springs hub. Train expected to run between airport and Springs every 30 min to 1 hr.

Mears, as a company, is in a really rough spot. They are losing a lot of their major contracts at the moment, and will effectively be reduced to a cab company that also charters buses instead of a major transportation operator.
First, thank you for weighing in. To clarify, did you say "generally inaccessible price point for most" meaning it will be a high-end option and most will not be able to afford it?

Surferboy567

I don't understand why Disney would want to funnel all of their guests (with luggage) through Disney Springs. Then they would all have to find travel to their hotels. This seems like a logistical nightmare...
Yeah, I kind of struggle to see why the train is that much of a game changer. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great way of transportation, I don’t think everyone is thinking about what happens after. Your in Disney Springs now what? You have to transfer to another bus that probably will take forever. If your a family you have to deal with all the pieces of luggage and if you have small children that becomes a problem as well.

Ride sharing/cabs/car service/buses are really the only methods of avoiding this problem.

Willmark

To (attempt) to get them to spend money in their mall, err Disney Springs.

Just like gift shops at the end of rides, just on a larger scale.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom