News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

tanc

Sad to think the last time I ever rode the Magical Express was August 2020. In a way it feels like a farewell to me, what an amazing service though. No feeling can match the magical express, being able to relax and watch shows on a Disney themed bus. Really sucks that car rentals or having to plan an uber and mess with luggage will be now be an issue with a Disney vacation. All I can hope is that the train is some sort of miraculous alternative but my hopes aren't too high.

Brooklin Disney Dad

Just because the perk didn't benefit you directly doesn't mean it's not a big deal it's being cut. Maybe Disney will eliminate something you like in the future that others here won't miss? Objectively, Disney removing things that used to be included in the price is bad for guests as a whole.
Agreed. We flew down and rented a car as we split our Disney stay (perk was fast passes, dining plan) with off site stay. We loved eating out at more affordable dining in the Orlando area. Parking was free then at resort and parks. Now... what is it? $25 a day at resort AND still have to pay at the park.

Goofyernmost

Agreed! The loss of DME is one of several factors that have changed my perception from "I'm taking a 'Disney vacation,'" to "I'm taking a vacation that happens to include Disney World." By forcing us out of the bubble, Disney has opened our eyes and given us access to other destinations on which to spend our vacation dollars. From a business standpoint, I'll never understand it.
As I have stated so many times, I have loved WDW for 39 years and during all those years, with the exception of one trip, I stayed offsite. During that time I have visited, Universal, SeaWorld, Gaterland, ridden helicopters over WDW, gone to the vast expanse of road side places like Ripley's and the upside down house called Wonderworld. Plus I have explored many places besides that in the Orlando/Kissimmee area. Traveled to the East to the Kennedy Space center and Cocoa Beach and to the west, BoK Tower, Cyprus Gardens (when it existed... Lego Land now), Went to the west coast to St. Petersburg and Tampa. Saw the Sunken Gardens and Madame Tussauds Wax Museum in St. Pete's Beach, drove across the spectacular Sunshine Bridge. One time using Kissimmee as a base, I even drove down to Key West through the Keys and the incredible view of the Atlantic on one side and the Gulf of Mexico on the other side of the road. Not to mention Key West itself. Drove back crossing the state through the Everglades to the western side back up to Kissimmee and saw the Disney Fireworks from a high spot on the highway quite a distance from WDW itself.

As much as I loved Disney, I appreciate the rest of the unique surroundings of central Florida. Some spectacular and some not so spectacular areas, but it has all be part of what I consider my Disney Vacation. WDW being there is what motivated me to go every time, but the other stuff was also very important in my experiences too.

I do have to say that considering Florida's present stand on health protocol I wouldn't consider exploring any part of Florida, including WDW right now, but when this plague runs itself out I would highly recommend exploring other things that don't require jumping through an abundance of hoops to experience.

lewisc

I believe MDE is still running for those who used it at the end of December to go from the airport to their mousetel. Right now, MDE is still bringing them back to the airport.
Isn't inevitable that Disney will wind up giving Mears vouchers to guests entitled to a DME return to MCO

Skywise

People will continue to complain and shake their hands in the air about how greedy Disney is and how they are taking away perks once offered for free and not giving anything new and after all of that those same people will still shell out thousands and thousands of dollars to enjoy a Disney vacation. And Disney knows this.
This is true to a point. But they're spending "perception" capital. Most people are still going because of mass inertia and because of people who enjoyed all the perks before. Disney (any company for that matter) can coast like this for awhile but eventually the word gets out and the perception changes and then the brand is irrevocably damaged.
Or maybe this is what they want - it's easy for a board and CEO to set the "new norm" (We're just a theme park like Universal and Six Flags) which makes it easier for them. Less risk - same reward as everyone else.
It's a personal theory of mine that this happens across all industries and corps. Once the passionate founder dies, unless you have someone just as passionate about it then the company because widget delivery system X.
Sears should've eaten Amazon's lunch up front as they were THE original mail-order delivery system but they had been replaced by managers who had no idea of the company's history and kept pushing retail in a dying market.
Tesla only works because of Musk' leadership (right or wrong) as Ford and other car manufacturers have the resources and know-how to have completely dominated the eCar market from the start - but they don't have passionate leadership willing to take that risk - just mill-made MBAs.
Or see Apple post Steve Jobs, then with Steve Jobs again and then him putting into a place a groomed leadership to keep the company going (Tim Cook's acumen isn't GREAT - I think Jobs would've pushed the company growth faster/better but Cook has at least kept SOME innovation going) (and no, I do NOT want Apple to acquire Disney!)
Anyway - tl;dr - "The more they tighten their fists, the more dollars will slip through their fingers" Not to hijack this thread but if the Star Wars cruise had been half as good as many of us had been dreaming about (and it would've been expensive and more risky on Disney's part) many of us would've broken the bank to spend the money to try to get a shot at staying there.
or to put it better...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
This is true to a point. But they're spending "perception" capital. Most people are still going because of mass inertia and because of people who enjoyed all the perks before. Disney (any company for that matter) can coast like this for awhile but eventually the word gets out and the perception changes and then the brand is irrevocably damaged.
Or maybe this is what they want - it's easy for a board and CEO to set the "new norm" (We're just a theme park like Universal and Six Flags) which makes it easier for them. Less risk - same reward as everyone else.
It's a personal theory of mine that this happens across all industries and corps. Once the passionate founder dies, unless you have someone just as passionate about it then the company because widget delivery system X.
Sears should've eaten Amazon's lunch up front as they were THE original mail-order delivery system but they had been replaced by managers who had no idea of the company's history and kept pushing retail in a dying market.
Tesla only works because of Musk' leadership (right or wrong) as Ford and other car manufacturers have the resources and know-how to have completely dominated the eCar market from the start - but they don't have passionate leadership willing to take that risk - just mill-made MBAs.
Or see Apple post Steve Jobs, then with Steve Jobs again and then him putting into a place a groomed leadership to keep the company going (Tim Cook's acumen isn't GREAT - I think Jobs would've pushed the company growth faster/better but Cook has at least kept SOME innovation going) (and no, I do NOT want Apple to acquire Disney!)
Anyway - tl;dr - "The more they tighten their fists, the more dollars will slip through their fingers" Not to hijack this thread but if the Star Wars cruise had been half as good as many of us had been dreaming about (and it would've been expensive and more risky on Disney's part) many of us would've broken the bank to spend the money to try to get a shot at staying there.
or to put it better...

Quoting this for posterity.

And waiting for the inevitable, “but they’re spending BILLIONS on the parks!!!” responses. The Bob’s are doing a great job of coasting/milking the nostalgia factor while they and their minions fool themselves into thinking things like GE and GotG will create the same feelings in consumers for decades. Hint: It won’t. Iger is as creative as my left toe, and $lappie can’t even spell “creativity”. Josh is too busy looking good to know what’s going on.

Archie123

or to put it better...

Sorry it was a very long post but all I will say is no one but a select few have been inside of the Star Wars hotel so no one has a clue what it’s really like. Truthfully I think a lot of people are complaining about it because they know they can’t afford it so it’s easier to make excuses and bash it then really admit they want to try it.

Casper Gutman

Sorry it was a very long post but all I will say is no one has been inside of the Star Wars hotel so no one has a clue what it’s really like. Truthfully I think a lot of people are complaining about it because they know they can’t afford it so it’s easier to make excuses and bash it then really admit they want to try it.
I mean, we have quite a lot of footage from inside the hotel, and even its staunchest defenders are reduced to pretending Disney is intentionally trying to make it look lousy for... some reason. But yeah, its probably the filthy poors.

UNCgolf

I mean, we have quite a lot of footage from inside the hotel, and even its staunchest defenders are reduced to pretending Disney is intentionally trying to make it look lousy for... some reason. But yeah, its probably the filthy poors.

I could easily do 5 or 6 "cruises" in a row if I wanted, but nothing they've shown makes it seem like it would be worth even $1000, much less $6000.

EDIT: Just noticed this is in the DME thread. How did we end up discussing the Starcruiser here?

Rich Brownn

or to put it better...

Even Disney has limits -- if enough guests perceive its a poor value they stop coming. See: California Adventure. The real problem is, like any other service/product, once you lose them it becomes very difficult to get them back. There is a tipping point and once you hit it, you'll end up 1) Spending twice as much to get them back 2) downsize more 3) go out of business.

Disstevefan1

Even Disney has limits -- if enough guests perceive its a poor value they stop coming. See: California Adventure. The real problem is, like any other service/product, once you lose them it becomes very difficult to get them back. There is a tipping point and once you hit it, you'll end up 1) Spending twice as much to get them back 2) downsize more 3) go out of business.
TWDC and it’s thene parks are invin …… Nevermind, you know what I was going to say 😀

I will just say there are no limits. For any folks they lose for whatever reason, there are many more new folks that will come..

JoeCamel

TWDC and it’s thene parks are invin …… Nevermind, you know what I was going to say 😀

I will just say there are no limits. For any folks they lose for whatever reason, there are many more new folks that will come..
The problem with that strategy is that it costs far more to get a customer than it does to retain them. Same with employees, they don't seem to understand that message as they focus on short term gains to boost their "numbers".

Skywise

Sorry it was a very long post but all I will say is no one but a select few have been inside of the Star Wars hotel so no one has a clue what it’s really like. Truthfully I think a lot of people are complaining about it because they know they can’t afford it so it’s easier to make excuses and bash it then really admit they want to try it.
Because, for what they need to make it work, they will not do.

But to try to push this back to MDE - I could easily see Disney trying to bring the service back but if they shafted Mears the way the scuttlebutt claims they have then it's going to be very difficult/expensive to bring it back.

OTOH it may be the managements' thought that the train service will be the new DME. Though with the train supposedly going to Disney Springs I don't know how that works with all the luggage. Plus the trains can't possibly be running as often as the buses so that's going to extend time getting to the park...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom