News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

JoeCamel

Has anybody actually tried Mears Connect yet? On the plane now and haven't decided how I'm getting to the resort
For a just in case ride with one of the best in the transport business keep Tony Hinds number handy 407 406 9093 rave reviews for 15+ years now. He runs a car service to the parks and airport.
I have no affiliation with the man just have heard constant praise over the years and the last comment I saw was from summer 2020 so recent but not last week. Give him a call, I don't know if it would work after you land but it may

pdude81

Lyft was going to be 60+ so I went with Connect. Check in is the same spot as the old Magical Express. I didn't have reservation so it took a few minutes to get handled. Definitely easier to set up yourself and then scan qr code to get in resort line. So far the MK loop has the longest line and other small lines have emptied. A number of people without reservations so they may have gotten caught with an unplanned surge of race arrivals. I'll update more afterward with info about the wait time and the ride itself

pdude81

20220105_104518.jpg

20220105_110543_HDR.jpg

Very familiar, but less "magical" than pre-pandemic MDE.

So far 10 mins for line and booking at desk. 10 mins wait afterward for bus to arrive. Then they half filled bus but are waiting for more people. The MK loop looks to have 6 or so resorts on it. Also they have buses to Wyndham and other priorities but I didn't check all the lists

Chip Chipperson

View attachment 612227

View attachment 612228

Very familiar, but less "magical" than pre-pandemic MDE.

So far 10 mins for line and booking at desk. 10 mins wait afterward for bus to arrive. Then they half filled bus but are waiting for more people. The MK loop looks to have 6 or so resorts on it. Also they have buses to Wyndham and other priorities but I didn't check all the lists

I'm glad they kept the trivia, even if the screens remind me of a generic business training video. But 6 resorts for 1 bus? Yikes. I'd be pulling my hair out if I was one of the last stops.

lewisc

I'm glad they kept the trivia, even if the screens remind me of a generic business training video. But 6 resorts for 1 bus? Yikes. I'd be pulling my hair out if I was one of the last stops.
Originally buses were maxed at 3 resorts ancient history.
6 MK resorts may not be a big deal. I'm pretty sure Bay Lake Towers and Contemporary share one stop. Probably the same for other DVC resort combos.

bcoachable

I just jumped back on the board today to check in... stopped by this thread to see if anyone was ever able to make sense of this move by the Disney Sharp Pencils...
Absolutly Baffling.
A major reason people vacationed at this place is because they FELT tacken care of. This move is a punch in the face to the customer.
Anyway, Carry on!

JoeCamel

Ended up being about 35-40 before we left from when i first got to the mears area. Not terrible, and thankfully nite completely packed. Not a bad option but with the family I'd use a car service.
Cost? I guess I could look it up but all the add on charges?

I did, seems very reasonable for that route and I would choose it if I needed to get between the two.

scoobygirl39541

The differences in experiences that each of you are describing is probably a big part of why Disney eliminated DME. I had one trip where our bags did not arrive at the resort until 12 hours after check-in. On another trip, we rented a car and were waiting for our bags at the carousels that never showed up. It turned out that even though they did not have bar coded DME tags, they were pulled off because they had plastic Disney tags. I imagine DME luggage issues were a big part of complaints.

Dealing with different airlines for collecting and checking luggage, cost of Mears, agreement with MCO, bus delays, long lines, lost/delayed luggage, etc. While in concept, DME seems like a no brainer providing easy transportation for guests and keeping them on property, the reality is that the "system" often did not go smoothly. Many of the issues were out of TDO's control, but in the eyes of guests, the start of their vacation was ruined by Disney. So, why provide this service at a high cost if it generated so many issues/complaints? Just speculation, but eliminating DME may not have been just about reducing costs but eliminating a major source of headaches for management and improving guest satisfaction (people can't complain about a service you don't have, except of DIS boards ;)).

This assumption is what frustrates me. We've used DME every trip since it began, multiple times a year, and NEVER not once EVER had a single problem with it. Maybe we just got lucky, but our bags always got to the resort in a timely manor, the lines for the buses were never long, and our luggage always made it back to our final destination. It always went 100% smoothly and I greatly miss the convience of being on vacation the second you step off the plane and not having to handle your luggage until you return home. Its not better without it.

Prince-1

I just jumped back on the board today to check in... stopped by this thread to see if anyone was ever able to make sense of this move by the Disney Sharp Pencils...
Absolutly Baffling.
A major reason people vacationed at this place is because they FELT tacken care of. This move is a punch in the face to the customer.
Anyway, Carry on!

And those customers who feel slapped in the face will still go to Disney and they know it. Now maybe they will lose some people but that number will be very very small and they will be replaced with new addicts...I mean customers. Disney knows their customer base a lot better than anyone on this website.

bjlc57

And those customers who feel slapped in the face will still go to Disney and they know it. Now maybe they will lose some people but that number will be very very small and they will be replaced with new addicts...I mean customers. Disney knows their customer base a lot better than anyone on this website.
no.. i completely disagree.. Disney and the parks are loaded with either the wealthy or, people from the old Mickey Mouse club generation.. and our kids.. but as our kids get priced out of the picture , they are going to be left with the wealthy , who in the SHORT RUN, make it all look good on paper.. but in the LONG RUN economics, are going to go some place else once they have "DONE THE DISNEY THING" .. its the loyalists of my generation and our kids that can keep Disney afloat.. and right now they are being priced out of the picture in a big hurry..

Prince-1

no.. i completely disagree.. Disney and the parks are loaded with either the wealthy or, people from the old Mickey Mouse club generation.. and our kids.. but as our kids get priced out of the picture , they are going to be left with the wealthy , who in the SHORT RUN, make it all look good on paper.. but in the LONG RUN economics, are going to go some place else once they have "DONE THE DISNEY THING" .. its the loyalists of my generation and our kids that can keep Disney afloat.. and right now they are being priced out of the picture in a big hurry..

And based on the facts of how busy the parks are and will continue to be, your assessment would be wrong.

CaptinEO

check back in three years.. and then make a decision.. its called operating in the LONG RUN of economics.. and not the short run.. because I stated in the SHORT RUN.. it will all look good on paper..
Sadly people have been saying this for 20+ years but parks still do well besides the 2008 global recession and tourism hit post 9/11.

The cuts seem to work out fine for the company as much as we as fans may not like it.

bjlc57

Sadly people have been saying this for 20+ years but parks still do well besides the 2008 global recession and tourism hit post 9/11.

The cuts seem to work out fine for the company as much as we as fans may not like it.
no Company.. Not Sears, at one point in time was the number one retailer in the world, Not J.C. Penneys' the number two retailer in the world at one point in time, not GM the number one car company, not IBM, the number one computer company, not KODAK, the number one camera company... can defeat the laws of supply and demand.. no matter how big they get.. ask mr gimbals and mr macy... it can certainly happen..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom