Disney's Loss of Spider-Man: How Will it Affect the Parks?

smooch

Original Poster
According to this article Disney has lost the rights to Spider-Man for the time being and if that is true and Disney and Sony are not able to reach an agreement I was wondering what you guys think the impacts on the park will be especially with the Spider-Man themed ride coming into the Tough to Be a Bug theater and even on the east coast in regards to the Avengers Coaster? Will the walk around character have to stop immediately? Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place but I am talking about the in-park implications and not just future movies so I hope this forum is the right one to discuss.

DisneyDrum

I think this is the right place and has big parks implications of true. Is Disney going to be stuck with rides promoting movies they no longer have any control over? Are the parks rights tied to the same contract? Why did Disney invest so much in the parks for a character they don’t control?

Someone said this would be a bad week for Disney....

BubbaQuest

I don't think Disney is losing the rights to use Spider-Man in the park, just the rights to use the character in Disney/Marvel movies (aka the MCU).

They still could keep the upcoming Spider-Man ride as Spider-Man, but as already mentioned will they want to if Sony gets to decide future Spider-Man movie character developments?

I don't follow the MCU, could Sony decide to kill the Iron Man/Spider-Man story line? Would that make a Stark Industries based Spider-Man ride awkward?

drod1985

This doesn't affect Disney's ability to use Spider-man in the parks at all. Those rights have always been distinctly separate.

Disney Park's version of Spidey is clearly based on the MCU Spidey, but it is indeed a different suit. Legally Disney will have no requirement to change anything. Strategically - they may decide to do so. But if IOA can have a Spider-man attraction and Sony can have separate Spider-man films then Disney's theme park version can definitely coexist, especially when you consider they still make all the profits off of Spider-man comics, merch, etc.

Launchpad_Mcquack

Disney still owns merch & Parks rights. The costumed Spidey cast member had been redesigned to resemble & sound like Tom Holland’s interpretation. The interesting thing will be if Disney uses Holland’s voice for the ride, as they did with the Guardians cast.

Launchpad_Mcquack

The way I understand it, the Parks will have their own specifically designed version of the character.
I suppose costume changes are minor. But yeah, they just updated the costume to the MCU version about a month ago. They’d probably trash it once Sony’s next Spidey film drops, to not give them any free promotion/brand recognition

28DE31A8-3F45-488D-90A8-52D1F5DB35D3.jpeg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You know. New Reports say Disney is offering Sony a new deal to keep Spider-Man in the MCU and it looks like Tom Holland and RDJ already confirmed it. It also says he will star in a second Spider-Man trilogy and play a larger role in 2 more Avengers movies and Venom will be rebooted in the MCU.
Basically everything that Disney really wanted in the first place.

Also what this means is Sony's Spiderverse will be in the MCU, meaning more cross-overs in the future.

I see this as the start of Disney eventually taking back the rights in the future.

brodie999

Basically everything that Disney really wanted in the first place.

Also what this means is Sony's Spiderverse will be in the MCU, meaning more cross-overs in the future.

I see this as the start of Disney eventually taking back the rights in the future.
I agree. More trade writers are implying this. Disney really wants it to be a done deal before their panel tomorrow.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree. More trade writers are implying this. Disney really wants it to be a done deal before their panel tomorrow.

I see Disney as the winner in this fight.

Rumors had it that it was Sony who leaked all this into the press in the first place. Hoping that fans would come running to their side against big bad Disney. But as was seen, most fans rather have a world where Spidey is run out of the MCU with Disney/Marvel then to continue alone with Sony.

The real winners here are the fans....

DisneyDrum

You know. New Reports say Disney is offering Sony a new deal to keep Spider-Man in the MCU and it looks like Tom Holland and RDJ already confirmed it. It also says he will star in a second Spider-Man trilogy and play a larger role in 2 more Avengers movies and Venom will be rebooted in the MCU.

That makes sense. Disney has enough invested in Spider-Man that they wouldn't have dropped the deal. For all the talk about the parks rights being separate, it would have been a mess. Or...more of a mess than not being able to use the word Marvel in the parks.

It's nice when massive corporations get along :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom