Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

doctornick

Captain Marvel had a very lucky release date between the 10 year build up climatic "Endgame" movies of Infinity wars ($2 Billion) and Endgame ($2.7 Billion).

The Marvels is going to have to stand on it's own. It won't do anywhere close to Captain Marvel numbers.

Ant-Man and the Wasp had a very lucky release date between the 10 year build up climatic "Endgame" movies of Infinity wars ($2 Billion) and Endgame ($2.7 Billion). It made $622M worldwide.

Was Captain Marvel helped by being part of the MCU and the buildup to Endgame? Of course, just like most MCU films. Few non-Avengers films have over a billion though. There was a ton of repeat viewers for Captain Marvel and it was way more popular that its detractors are willing to accept.

Now, MCU films in general have suffered post-pandemic for a variety of reasons so I certainly am not suggesting that it will anywhere near the original, but something like $800-850M would put in line with similar films in terms of an expected drop from the first film.

CaptainMickey

I actually think this movie would have done better if it was a new story about Ariel's sister or something set in the "World of the Little Mermaid" with some new and old characters and new stories and songs. A lot of people don't like it when they change ANYTHING with the classic movies they love. The movie would have had a lot less pushback and more fans interested in new characters and stories from the Little Mermaid World that they love.

dreday3

Peak Marvel was occuring when Captain Marvel (I enjoyed it) came out. By all means, we are at minimum Marvel right now... public trust of the brand has never been lower.

Public trust of the brand? Now that's some overthinking.

Superhero movies just aren't doing it for people anymore. Oversaturated.

People are tired of them. Even DC movies are doing badly. It's cyclical. They will be popular again in time.

Now Star Wars is a brand people don't trust anymore.

MagicHappens1971

People are tired of them. Even DC movies are doing badly. It's cyclical. They will be popular again in time.
Movies just aren’t making what they used to.
Aside from the odd one out (this year) Super Mario.

This is the top 10 grossing films for 2023.

Little Mermaid has been out 4 days and is already #8.
IMG_0556.jpeg

erasure fan1

There was a ton of repeat viewers for Captain Marvel and it was way more popular that its detractors are willing to accept.
If it is, I haven't seen it at all. I rarely see it anywhere above mediocre. So if by way more popular, you mean everyone doesn't absolutely hate it. Sure, I'd agree.
I certainly am not suggesting that it will anywhere near the original, but something like $800-850M would put in line with similar films in terms of an expected drop from the first film.
Anything can happen, I'll freely admit. But I would be shocked if this broke the 800mil mark. And I wouldn't be shocked if it ended up in quantum mania territory. This movie has a lot stacked against it. It doesn't help that 2/3 of the characters are from streaming shows.

BlakeW39

Now Star Wars is a brand people don't trust anymore.

No, public trust in Marvel has definitely diminished. Like Star Wars. I'm not saying there isn't also some franchise fatigue going on, but Spider-Man: No Way Home made a ton of money so it's not just superhero fatigue at work here.

BlakeW39

Asia loves Fast X. The argument is total BS.
This is silly. He was not “blue” for good chunks of the film. The other two leads are Tunisian and Egyptian, neither of which were blue

Black Panther also did worse in Asia, off the top of my head. Are there any black led films (as in not just films with a black side character like Aladdin or Fast X) that did very well in Asia?

Screamface

Will Smith is African-American, and the film did exceptionally well worldwide and in Asian markets.

Americans get too focused on race with everything. The reality is that these markets focus on "their" beauty standards more. Will Smith can meet those standards. That's why he can succeed in them.

Last edited:

Jedijax719

MCU's burn has been slower because every movie is a reset. It's not a continuous story so what happens in one is not dependent on what happens in another. SW's crash was more abrupt because one misstep means the entire fabric of a story can be seen as unwoven. If either Infinity War or Endgame were less than spectacular, MCU's crash would have been more sudden.

Studios are all between a rock and a hard place. Keep pumping familiar IP's and eventually they will burn out. Try something new and you are almost guarantee to take a huge loss immediately (nobody's accepting new material). That's why, like I said, you can either take a familiar IP and do something completely different with it and hope it sticks (that's what MCU does every time they start a movie with a new character, BUT SW has done that to varying degrees of success) or somehow creatively fuse the streaming and theatrical models to make them mutualistic with each other.

dreday3

I mean if the general public can't accept a new movie based on a completely original idea that's not associated with an existing IP, then we should just go jump off a cliff and end society now because that's pathetic.

Sir_Cliff

This seems to be very true. People keep pointing to the exceptions, but the days of movies grossing ever-higher amounts seems to have come to an end, at least for now.

As for the film's performance overseas, I am surprised at the amount of sociologists of South Korea we have on here!

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

Black Panther also did worse in Asia, off the top of my head. Are there any black led films (as in not just films with a black side character like Aladdin or Fast X) that did very well in Asia?
The Rock is a pretty reliable and consistent draw, beyond just the Fast and Furious movies.

matt78

Did anyone see this in 3D? I was wondering what everyone's experience was like. Ours was so bad that it distracted from the whole movie. Was this anyone else's experience or did our theater just get a bad reel? One of my cousins thought that our theater got a 3D reel that was intended for an IMAX theater instead of a normal one.

matt78

This is the top 10 grossing films for 2023.

Little Mermaid has been out 4 days and is already #8.

This is true. I had this argument with another person a couple of months ago on another site. If I remember correctly, accounting to box office mojo last year's total box office was down somewhere between 3.5 & 4 billion dollars prior to covid. I think people grew content with just waiting for it to come to streaming.

MagicHappens1971

This is true. I had this argument with another person a couple of months ago on another site. If I remember correctly, accounting to box office mojo last year's total box office was down somewhere between 3.5 & 4 billion dollars prior to covid. I think people grew content with just waiting for it to come to streaming.
I think this is a side effect of Covid and the Streaming Wars. The studios are going to need to have a major look in the mirror if they want to see changes in box office performance.

If I was the major studios, these are some changes I’d think of making.

There should be a 6-9 month wait for movies to come to streamers for “free”.

I would use the “Premier Access” Disney tried during the pandemic for a one-time watch to the film either on the same day as it comes out in theatres or ~30 Days after.

The Studios rush to get films on their streaming services are not helping their case at the box office. For example, I wanted to see Air, but knew that it would be streaming soon, so I waited till it was on Prime. On the same side of the token, I really wanted to see The Little Mermaid, and saw it Saturday night. The other major problem is how expensive the movies have become. I paid $18 for just me to see The Little Mermaid, 2D in a normal theatre. Plus $16 for a small popcorn and a medium drink...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom