Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

LittleBuford

I love classic Disney. I also recognise that certain things deemed acceptable in the past read very differently today. If the powers that be at Disney are indeed trying to suppress or disparage the company's back catalogue, they're doing a very bad job of it given that the parks and Disney+ are swimming in things from earlier decades. That Disney's more recent output reflects the sensibilities of our own times does not preclude anyone from continuing to enjoy the older content.

LSLS

That's a perfect summarization of 2020s Disney - they're constantly trying to make you feel bad for liking something pre-Iger Disney (see also the Splash Mountain fiasco).

LOL, am I supposed to pretend I don't know the theme of the Disney Wish?

Magenta Panther

Nope, its about understanding that society changes over time. And that how content created many years prior may need to be modified for modern sensibilities in a remake/reimagining of that content.

The content you speak of is being modified to mollify a tiny loud implacable minority of party-poopers who spazz over a ride full of talking rabbits and foxes and bears, oh my. A minority who the vast majority are pretty sick of by now, and who are therefore losing more clout by the minute and who, incidentally, has caused Disney a world of hurt. A minority who, by the way, has utterly failed, despite their best efforts, to destroy other entities such as Harry Potter, which pretty much proves how foolish Disney was to cater to it. THAT'S what needs to be understood. Does Iger have the capacity to understand that? Even if he does, it's too late. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. But he'll have to make a choice, eventually. It'll be fun to see what he chooses, and what the fallout will be when he does.

LSLS

The content you speak of is being modified to mollify a tiny loud implacable minority of party-poopers who spazz over a ride full of talking rabbits and foxes and bears, oh my. A minority who the vast majority are pretty sick of by now, and who are therefore losing more clout by the minute and who, incidentally, has caused Disney a world of hurt. A minority who, by the way, has utterly failed, despite their best efforts, to destroy other entities such as Harry Potter, which pretty much proves how foolish Disney was to cater to it. THAT'S what needs to be understood. Does Iger have the capacity to understand that? Even if he does, it's too late. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. But he'll have to make a choice, eventually. It'll be fun to see what he chooses, and what the fallout will be when he does.
Not to completely derail this thread, but I'm still not convinced there was even a minority that was really calling for this change. I still think this was just an excuse to IP and existing ride. Which is why the idea of a Space Mountain Refurb (despite how much it's needed) really makes me cringe.

LSLS

Yeah, but most of them were added before Disney became obsessed with trying to prove how "woke" or whatever they are.
Iger has been around for like 25 years at this point. I'd imagine most the super popular movies from 30 years ago are probably pretty well represented by now. That said, they still just designed a cruise ship around Cinderella, a lounge at GF around Belle, and an entire land around Toy Story just to name a few off the top of my head that are IPs before Iger. He wants IP, I'm not sure he cares about when it came from as long as it's popular enough to make his name known.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
History is full of examples where change starts off by a small vocal minority before being accepted by the majority, even if that majority was vocal against the change in the first place.

However that is all beside the point. This again is about understanding that we as a society changes over time. A word or phrase or even an idea that is uttered 30-50 or even more years ago in some piece of content may no longer be acceptable by today's standards, this is what is being talked about here. And so that same word or phrase or idea may need to be changed upon future retelling of that same content.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
History is full of examples where change starts off by a small vocal minority before being accepted by the majority, even if that majority was vocal against the change in the first place.

However that is all beside the point. This again is about understanding that we as a society changes over time. A word or phrase or even an idea that is uttered 30-50 or even more years ago in some piece of content may no longer be acceptable by today's standards, this is what is being talked about here. And so that same word or phrase or idea may need to be changed upon future retelling of that same content.
Editing someone's published work to fit to today's standards, whether a book or song, is never going to sit well with me...and this is a trend that seems to be gaining a bit of traction recently.

IMO, if it doesn't work for you as written anymore, don't use it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Editing someone's published work to fit to today's standards, whether a book or song, is never going to sit well with me...and this is a trend that seems to be gaining a bit of traction recently.

IMO, if it doesn't work for you as written anymore, don't use it.
Then I guess that means you don't like anything Disney put out over the last 100 years. As that is exactly what Disney has been doing since the very beginning, even back in Walt's day. Heck even the original animated TLM isn't faithful to the original Hans Christian Andersen work.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Then I guess that means you don't like anything Disney put out over the last 100 years. As that is exactly what Disney has been doing since the very beginning, even back in Walt's day.
I think there is a pretty clear difference between adapting fairy tales told in many forms to make animated features, and specifically editing out words in previously published materials as to not offend anyone....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom