Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

BuddyThomas

A fresh story, with another mermaid (not Ariel), fresh music score, fresh characters, a fresh view As In Actual Creativity that would spark interest and open minds. This whole redo of the existing story is Meh entertainment. What's wrong with bringing on a new mermaid (not named Ariel) with her own unique story? The live action remake thing is now bland and stale, not creative, yeah there is some money to be made simply because it's simple entertainment.
They’re already doing this. It’s called Once on This Island and it is based on a novel called My Love, My Love, which is based on The Little Mermaid. And, spoiler alert- it has the original tragic Mermaid ending.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sounds like the Scuttle song is the new Little Mermaid's "Fixer-Upper" song.

IOW, I have low expectations.

BuddyThomas

Sounds like the Scuttle song is the new Little Mermaid's "Fixer-Upper" song.

IOW, I have low expectations.
On a scale of 1 to 10, my expectations are about a 7, but I’m hoping for better. For reference, I didn’t care for the Beauty and the Beast or Lion King remakes, I didn’t mind the Aladdin remake, and I really liked the Jungle Book remake. This one could go any way. I just remain baffled by the people on here (not you) actively rooting for it to fail.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
On a scale of 1 to 10, my expectations are about a 7, but I’m hoping for better. For reference, I didn’t care for the Beauty and the Beast or Lion King remakes, I didn’t mind the Aladdin remake, and I really liked the Jungle Book remake. This one could go any way. I just remain baffled by the people on here (not you) actively rooting for it to fail.
Especially since they're not forced to watch it.

I despise horror and mafia movies. But I don't go on a rant on some fan forum and continually denounce them.

erasure fan1

I just remain baffled by the people on here (not you) actively rooting for it to fail.
It's because they want Disney to be better. To be the company that moves things forward in the creative space like they used to be. The only chance they stop these remakes are if they fail financially. Even then they might still push on because it's so much easier than being original.

MoonRakerSCM

Oh no! People have different opinions and different ideas and thoughts and want different things from the world! How DARE THEY discuss it on a discussion forum! Something must be done!

BuddyThomas

drag.jpg

Ghost93

Magenta Panther

It seems like the lyrics to "Kiss the Girl" and "Poor Unfortunate Souls" will be modified to appeal to modern sensibilities. I'm personally annoyed by the Poor Unfortunate Souls lyric changes because it should be super obvious that anything coming out of Ursula's mouth — the VILLAIN — should be taken with a grain of salt.

https://www.billboard.com/culture/tv-film/alan-menken-the-little-mermaid-changed-lyrics-1235298515/

I've heard that Ariel gets a new song as she arrives on land with her new legs. But since she doesn't have a voice anymore, she sings the song...inside her head. Seems a bit silly to me. I mean, she's got legs now right? And feet? Couldn't she just tap dance or something? 🤪

See, this is what ticks me off about these remakes. Disney's all like "Relive the classics you loved as a child in a whole new way!" but then it's like "But we're gonna change them because those stories were kinda racist/sexist/whatever". Which is kinda offensive, and of course, stupid. I mean, I really liked Si and Am in "Lady and the Tramp", but now I'm being told by Disney that "That's the wrong way to feel!" So now I'm supposed to feel bad for liking something Disney. Way to screw up childhood memories and taint your own product, Iger. You're pretty much implying that you have to "fix" those classics because WALT was a racist/sexist. God I hate Iger. What a tool. What an astronomical tool.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I've heard that Ariel gets a new song as she arrives on land with her new legs. But since she doesn't have a voice anymore, she sings the song...inside her head. Not making that up. Seems a bit silly to me. Couldn't she have done something that makes more sense? I mean, she's got legs now right? And feet? If they wanted her to do a musical number, couldn't she tap dance or something?
You don't have "to hear" such things. It's made plainly so in the link you quoted.

Phroobar

I've heard that Ariel gets a new song as she arrives on land with her new legs. But since she doesn't have a voice anymore, she sings the song...inside her head. Not making that up. Seems a bit silly to me. Couldn't she have done something that makes more sense? I mean, she's got legs now right? And feet? If they wanted her to do a musical number, couldn't she tap dance or something?
Is that song in any of the stage musicals or is it exclusive to the movie?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom