Disney's Investor Day 2020 (December 10th, 2020)

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Actors could also get involved, though. It's plausible that their contracts entitle them to a percentage of box office gross and profits instead of an upfront payment. If a theatrical release is skipped, the actors could sue Disney for breach of contract, as the actors would get absolutely nothing for their work.

Sure, but I said day and date with theaters much like WB is doing, so I'm not sure actors would have a leg to stand on. Studios have been wanting to bypass theaters for awhile. They can now completely cut the middleman through streaming and owning their own theaters. And there's a lot of smoke from most studios to think they are not moving in that direction.

Lucky Rabbit

I think it’s safe to say if Disney follows suit it will be with Premiere Access. I’m not sure how you get everyone on board unless there’s actually money to divvy up.

Slpy3270

I think it’s safe to say if Disney follows suit it will be with Premiere Access. I’m not sure how you get everyone on board unless there’s actually money to divvy up.

THR's already reported Disney's most likely not gonna follow WM's lead, despite what WM insiders are thinking.

I wouldn't blame them. This is a complete show.

Darkprime

THR's already reported Disney's most likely not gonna follow WM's lead, despite what WM insiders are thinking.

I wouldn't blame them. This is a complete ****show.
It's honestly kind of sad seeing a studio like wb fall from grace this hard. If this release strategy fails next year AT&T may have just ruined the studio forever.

Those bridges and relationships with the directors and film makers will be lost forever and their reputation as a film maker driven studio will be lost forever thanks to a corporate mandate by a conglomerate that clearly doesn't understand the film industry.

I feel like AT&T may end up regretting this huge bet on streaming next year especially when they see Disney make $500M-600M with Black Widow in theaters post-vaccine.

seascape

It's honestly kind of sad seeing a studio like wb fall from grace this hard. If this release strategy fails next year AT&T may have just ruined the studio forever.

Those bridges and relationships with the directors and film makers will be lost forever and their reputation as a film maker driven studio will be lost forever thanks to a corporate mandate by a conglomerate that clearly doesn't understand the film industry.

I feel like AT&T may end up regretting this huge bet on streaming next year especially when they see Disney make $500M-600M with Black Widow in theaters post-vaccine.
I think eliminating the theatrical realease in the theaters is a mistake. However, if this is successful it means everyone makes less money but the risk factors on making movies is gone. No more $300 million budgets, more $50 million with a few $100 million. No need for outside money from production companies, just money from the studio's streaming service. Quality will go down but there will be more to watch.

Slpy3270

Wells Fargo’s Steven Cahall has turned bullish on Disney shares, raising his rating to overweight from equal weight.

“Chuck the divi, torch EPS, spend aggressively, All Systems Go on streaming,” he said in a note.

Cahall expects that subscriber growth will replace earnings per share as the key metric Disney investors care about, as the company moves from a “growth at a reasonable price” stock selection to a full-on growth story.

“In other words, we think investors will soon be willing to pay a high multiple (in some cases on revenue or on subs) for a global streaming growth story,” he wrote. “So, if one is excited about the sub growth story then the stock price should take care of itself, in our view.”

In other words, to hell with the more profitable units of Disney and the balance sheet. Sacrifice everything for streaming gods.

You know who is also doing this right now? AT&T. And everyone in Hollywood is destroying them right now.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I think eliminating the theatrical realease in the theaters is a mistake. However, if this is successful it means everyone makes less money but the risk factors on making movies is gone. No more $300 million budgets, more $50 million with a few $100 million. No need for outside money from production companies, just money from the studio's streaming service. Quality will go down but there will be more to watch.

I'm sure the big named actors will cry foul as they've opted for theatrical gate post costs as part of their remuneration.

Slpy3270

I'm sure the big named actors will cry foul as they've opted for theatrical gate post costs as part of their remuneration.
Exactly. I'm not sure anybody who's questioning why Disney hasn't dumped Black Widow to the streaming gods factored that in.

doctornick

In other words, to hell with the more profitable units of Disney and the balance sheet. Sacrifice everything for streaming gods.

You know who is also doing this right now? AT&T. And everyone in Hollywood is destroying them right now.

I agree in principle, but AT&T simple did a crappy job with HBO and now is panicking with how they are responding.

Disney has done fantastic with Disney+ and has been very measured in their responses. they could have put Black Widow on there eons ago, but they don't seem to want to sacrifice the box office money just to bolster streaming in the short term. They'll be getting a more constant stream of original programming in 2021 anyway, so they won't be so desperate for content as to need to blow up their theatrical releases.

Slpy3270

I agree in principle, but AT&T simple did a crappy job with HBO and now is panicking with how they are responding.

Disney has done fantastic with Disney+ and has been very measured in their responses. they could have put Black Widow on there eons ago, but they don't seem to want to sacrifice the box office money just to bolster streaming in the short term. They'll be getting a more constant stream of original programming in 2021 anyway, so they won't be so desperate for content as to need to blow up their theatrical releases.
Absolutely nothing was filmed during spring and summer so the only thing 2021 has is works that were delayed. What about 2022 or 2023?

Slpy3270

Nothing new here but it pretty much confirms prior news that live-action stuff like Pinocchio is headed for Disney+ (maybe Peter Pan as well).

This paragraph, though, stands out...

Some titles on Disney’s theatrical slate will move to Disney+ at no extra cost. Expect “Peter Pan & Wendy,” like “Soul” and “Pinocchio,” to debut in this manner.

Other movies will take the “Mulan” route and arrive on Disney+ as premium offerings. “We’ve got something here in terms of the premier access strategy,” Mr. Chapek told analysts on a recent conference call. “There’s going to be a role for it strategically with our portfolio of offerings.”

And some of Disney’s biggest movies will continue to receive exclusive runs in theaters before arriving on the company’s streaming services. For instance, contrary to widespread speculation, “Black Widow,” a much-anticipated Marvel spectacle, will remain on Disney’s theatrical release calendar for May 7, the people briefed on the presentation said.

There you have it. Black Widow isn't going to streaming (for now). Sorry WarnerMedia heads.

And also this:
Disney has indicated that some of the money for its new content blitz will come from programming budgets at its traditional television networks. The company owns the Disney Channel, National Geographic, FX, Freeform and ABC, among others.

In other words, the traditional media networks aren't going anywhere. They'll be serving Disney+/Hulu content on a silver platter (though I'm hoping the networks aren't treated like rerun sinkholes like Ion Television and MyNetworkTV).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Same things being stated in this article, but NYT is also reporting "a significant expansion of the “Star Wars” universe" will be announced tomorrow.

Don't we already know about a bunch of planned and rumored SW expansions? I don't expect much more than what's already leaked. The NYT is writing for a general audience that doesn't know all the insider stuff we nerds already know. ;)

Although... the one thing we really don't know is a definite plan and slate of directors for SW theatrical movies that are planned.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
ZOMG, GUYSSS!!!!.... Investor day... GOT A LOGO!!!!!1!1!!

1607583526879.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom