Disney's Investor Day 2020 (December 10th, 2020)

Darkprime

What does everyone think the BIG piece of news out of this will be? Gotta be Black Widow going to Disney+ right? I cant see them doing Premier Access again when HBO Max is giving their entire 2021 film slate away for free as part of the standard subscription. Maybe some of Disneys 2021 film slate going to Disney+ and theaters. Maybe the Spider-Man films coming to Disney+? Spider-Man 3 multiverse confirmation. So many possibilities.

Crossfire

What does everyone think the BIG piece of news out of this will be? Gotta be Black Widow going to Disney+ right? I cant see them doing Premier Access again when HBO Max is giving their entire 2021 film slate away for free as part of the standard subscription. Maybe some of Disneys 2021 film slate going to Disney+ and theaters. Maybe the Spider-Man films coming to Disney+? Spider-Man 3 multiverse confirmation. So many possibilities.
I expect some big Disney+ Star news, also trailers and first looks for Disney+ Originals. I'm still unsure about Black Widow, we'll have to wait and see.

erasure fan1

I wont be shocked if Black Widow and Shang-Chi debut on Disney+ alongside a theatrical release next year.
I've been saying it for months. Black widow just needs to be released. D+ premier access at first. Then when theaters are back up eventually, you have a limited special theatrical release with some new footage. And the cherry on top is you attach a premier trailer for whatever big mcu movie is coming up.

Darkprime

I've been saying it for months. Black widow just needs to be released. D+ premier access at first. Then when theaters are back up eventually, you have a limited special theatrical release with some new footage. And the cherry on top is you attach a premier trailer for whatever big mcu movie is coming up.

Personally I cant see them doing Premier Access again when Warner Media is giving their entire 2021 film slate away as part of the standard HBO Max subscription Disney would look pretty stupid if they try Premier Access again imo. If they were going to try Premier Access again they would have done it with Soul imo but thats going to Disney+ as part of the standard subscription fee. I would say the likely alternative if Black Widow does go to Disney+ would be to just increase the price of the subscription fee for Disney+. I think people would understand tbh especially if they aren't going to charge $30 for it.

erasure fan1

Personally I cant see them doing Premier Access again when Warner Media is giving their entire 2021 film slate away as part of the standard HBO Max subscription Disney would look pretty stupid if they try Premier Access again imo. If they were going to try Premier Access again they would have done it with Soul imo but thats going to Disney+ as part of the standard subscription fee. I would say the likely alternative if Black Widow does go to Disney+ would be to just increase the price of the subscription fee for Disney+. I think people would understand tbh especially if they aren't going to charge $30 for it.
Personally I think the difference is that the MCU is so much bigger than anything else. I think if they price the movie at 25 people will do it. Maybe D+ subscribers only pay 15 or something like that. But the Warner DC stuff hasn't been consistently good enough to justify paying extra for them. And soul I don't think has a strong enough buzz that people would be willing to premier access it. I think it has to be on a case by case basis. Not all movies can justify a 25 to 30 price in my opinion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The fighting between Iger and Chapek and Disney being desperate for cash to the point of knee-jerk asset sales.
Well... where are the receipts from the fire sale? ;)

Four years after Shanghai Disney opened and after a year of a pandemic.... Disney hasn't been thrown out of China yet.

seascape

I wonder if this article corroborates any viral conspiracy WDW Pro posts here.
As many here expected, I disagree with this article. I will start with Hulu. Hulu is not being ignored by Disney. Putting FX on Hulu was a good idea. They also put Deadpool on Hulu. Then of course there is Hulu with live TV that gained 700,000 customers last quarter paying the same money to ESPN as the cable bundle and Hulu gets to run extra ads rather than the cable companies. Hulu now has 4.1 million customers without having to pay for the wire. Then their is the best thing about streaming and advertising. Advertising can be directly aimed at the viewer and is. My wife and I are watching the same show on Hulu on different television untilI finally get a negative Covid19 test. She gets different commercials than I do based on our viewing habits. Hulu can therefore earn more money from advertisers since the commercials are better aimed at customers. That was the entire idea for Peacock and Peacock is free but we pay for Hulu. Anyone who thinks Disney is in trouble or doesn't have intelligent plans for Disney+, Hulu, Hulu with live TV, ESPN+, their current cable and over the air stations, and Hotstar don't understand the market.

One last thing about the various cable networks, Hulu with live TV needs to have networks to carry and as for the A&E networks. their deal with Discovery+ is worldwide and will make a nice profit.

NateD1226

"Disney on December 10 will announce its upcoming slate. While the studio will solidify what Deadline revealed recently – that the Tom Hanks-starrer Pinocchio, Peter Pan and the Emma Stone-starrer Cruella will bypass movie theaters to become Disney+ releases, the studio will also announce new projects from Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar that will encompass TV as well as theatrical."

Slpy3270

"Disney on December 10 will announce its upcoming slate. While the studio will solidify what Deadline revealed recently – that the Tom Hanks-starrer Pinocchio, Peter Pan and the Emma Stone-starrer Cruella will bypass movie theaters to become Disney+ releases, the studio will also announce new projects from Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar that will encompass TV as well as theatrical."

[/URL]

Disney isn't stupid like AT&T. They know theaters form the backbone of their studio division, while AT&T just views WB as a farm for HBO Max and nothing more.

Lucky Rabbit

Disney would likely need to increase it to $14.99 a month to entertain the idea. At $6.99 for 12 months Disney makes $83.88 a year per subscriber. Where as $14.99 over a year is $179.88 per subscriber. You could buy 3 Premiere Access movies a year and Disney+ would still be cheaper. I'm not sure Disney wants to just burn all their potential blockbusters for nothing.

I hope if Premiere Access comes back they vary the price. I'd pay $30 for Black Widow but not Jungle Cruise.

seascape

The big day is 3 days away. I have previously said I believe they will announce that Disney+ is now profitable. Previously I said I expect Disney+ will pass 100 million in a couple of months. Now, I am predicting the big announcement will be Disney+ has past the 90 million mark, thus reaching the high end of their 60 to 90 million customers by the end of 2024, 4 years earlier.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Day and date releases like WB is doing encompasses TV as well as theatrical. I think we should expect some new Access Premier titles that will release day and date with movie theaters. Black Widow seems likely to me.

The big day is 3 days away. I have previously said I believe they will announce that Disney+ is now profitable. Previously I said I expect Disney+ will pass 100 million in a couple of months. Now, I am predicting the big announcement will be Disney+ has past the 90 million mark, thus reaching the high end of their 60 to 90 million customers by the end of 2024, 4 years earlier.

I expect them to announce rollout plans to the rest of Europe, Asia, Middle East, and Africa. I also wouldn't be surprised if they announced ESPN+ rollout internationally, beginning with Latin America (since ESPN exists there unlike in Europe).

Slpy3270

Day and date releases like WB is doing encompasses TV as well as theatrical. I think we should expect some new Access Premier titles that will release day and date with movie theaters. Black Widow seems likely to me.
A) Feige would have to sign off on that, and B) WB's getting in so much hot water with producers right now that they might hold off on it, if they even are still interested in the plan.
I expect them to announce rollout plans to the rest of Europe, Asia, Middle East, and Africa. I also wouldn't be surprised if they announced ESPN+ rollout internationally, beginning with Latin America (since ESPN exists there unlike in Europe).
Sports rights could be an issue though. Not all the content ESPN+ has in the States is covered in Latin America. It would have to be a completely different offering from what we have here.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

A) Feige would have to sign off on that, and B) WB's getting in so much hot water with producers right now that they might hold off on it, if they even are still interested in the plan.

Sports rights could be an issue though. Not all the content ESPN+ has in the States is covered in Latin America. It would have to be a completely different offering from what we have here.
I mean yeah no way they would go against what Feige says, but I think Feige could be convinced if it stills get a theatrical release. Things won't be back to normal by May, I think we all realize that by now. And they can't sit on a finished product forever while spending hundreds of millions developing other products. I don't think WB is getting that much heat from producers and the market liked the move (except for movie theater shareholders).

ESPN+, yeah of course it would be content catered to that market and the licenses they have for those markets. ESPN and Fox Sports (which will be folded into ESPN) have the rights to Libertardor Cup in Latin America, which is huge, but no one cares about it here. Not much different than Netflix regional licensing.

Slpy3270

I mean yeah no way they would go against what Feige says, but I think Feige could be convinced if it stills get a theatrical release. Things won't be back to normal by May, I think we all realize that by now. And they can't sit on a finished product forever while spending hundreds of millions developing other products. I don't think WB is getting that much heat from producers and the market liked the move (except for movie theater shareholders).
Actors could also get involved, though. It's plausible that their contracts entitle them to a percentage of box office gross and profits instead of an upfront payment. If a theatrical release is skipped, the actors could sue Disney for breach of contract, as the actors would get absolutely nothing for their work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom