Disney's Hollywood Studios to host an opening night event to celebrate the Force Awakens

HauntedMansionFLA

DHS should be pretty empty if this event is just for people who bought tickets for the Movie and park event VS. MNSSHP over at the MK ( where they sell 20,000 tickets ). I'm sure there will be some add on attractions to this event. Wish I was down there - I'd be there in a heartbeat.

tribbleorlfl

FWIW, according to Slashfilm, tickets go on sale around 8:30 EST and many theaters will have showtimes as early as 7:00. This is supported by a report where Moviefone jumped the gun by displaying showtimes early in their app (which included 7:00 shows) and also annecdotal accounts from UK fans that got 7 pm tickets today.

It's looking more and more likely this event's major selling point isn't going to be so exclusive after all.

mhead

Trust me when I tell you that the movie will actually have "advance showings" at 7:00 on the night of the 17th.That is everywhere -not just at WDW but no earlier than 7:00.

Luxe

The only problem I see with the price tag(this applies to me personally and YMMV of course) is that if I were going alone then $100 isn't that unreasonable for me to spend. I would most likely drop that money to be able to see the movie early and have a cool little "private" party at DHS after. The only thing stopping me is that I will be there with my family this December. Unfortunately my mother and father couldn't care less about this new space movie and would never even consider spending $100 a person to see it early and go to DHS for a bit(which we all already have AP for). You should have seen their face when they watched me(a grown man) purchase 3 custom lightsabers in the parks. I could go alone but I'm on vacation to spend time with my family so it's a bit unfortunate that it costs so much for an entire family to go. Would be cool if they had some sort of family discount to make it a little bit cheaper to buy a package of tickets. I know people are going to say "just go by yourself" which is definitely an option but personally I wouldn't enjoy spending $100 to experience everything by myself without people to blab about how awesome everything is.

For everyone else going I will definitely be envious!

Jon81uk

Not to start an argument or anything, but just to make a point: It's not about "taste." It's about offerings and cost. This isn't about Star Wars fans vs non-Star Wars fans or whether any of the people commenting think Star Wars is cool. It's that you're paying $80 for 4 hours in a park riding Star Tours, Launch Bay, and seeing Fireworks, all of which are available as part of the regular park admission and can be experienced almost any day. They're basically charging an arm and a leg because fans will be hyped up on all-things Star Wars and just want an excuse to celebrate the new film. If Disney was really doing this for fans, it either wouldn't be so expensive or would feature more one-time-only exclusives.
Or at the very least include soda/popcorn at the cinema and then a drink or two in the park, plus some limited edition poster or something.

note2001

If Disney was really doing this for fans, it either wouldn't be so expensive or would feature more one-time-only exclusives.

:facepalm:
Of course they're doing it for fans, who else would be nutty enough to buy a $95 movie/park ticket? LOL. They don't have to give anything away or offer one time only exclusives for us to get excited over it. It comes down to good old supply and demand, demand being the key word here.

DABIGCHEEZ

So is DHS only open that night for these ticket holders? If so, that sort of once again screws the daily ticket customer, especially with the Osbourne Lights last year promotion.

But then if they really wanted to see the Osbourne Lights, they should've payed extra for that ticketed event party right? :rolleyes:

Figments Friend

Let's hope the organizational efforts, food + merch supplies, and the Parking staff are ready and briefed before this Event.
Let's hope it's not yet another chaotic mess like the ol' 'Villians Event' was a couple of years ago.....

YodaMan

So is DHS only open that night for these ticket holders? If so, that sort of once again screws the daily ticket customer, especially with the Osbourne Lights last year promotion.

But then if they really wanted to see the Osbourne Lights, they should've payed extra for that ticketed event party right? :rolleyes:

This doesn't effect operating hours in any way. That entire week, the park closes at 8 PM with Fantasmic at 8:30 PM and Lights running until 9 PM. Since the movie premieres at 7 PM and comes in at 2.5+ hours after trailers (and then everyone has to drive themselves over to Studios), there's basically no way this after-party would interfere with regular day guests.

AEfx

Trust me when I tell you that the movie will actually have "advance showings" at 7:00 on the night of the 17th.That is everywhere -not just at WDW but no earlier than 7:00.

I can confirm - 7PM on the 17th. I just got mine. Not at WDW, mind you, LOL, but Fandango already has a few dozen theaters with active ticketing up. A really nice theater about an hour away from me was on the list, so I jumped ASAP. Fandango is already having slowdown issues with folks refreshing, in a couple hours when it's all "officially" open I have a feeling they are going to break the Internet LOL.

One funny thing, I got an error message after my first check-out, and figured I was out of luck. Then I checked, still available, so I did it again. Same error. Good thing I thought to check - the sales actually went through. Or I would have had a third set LOL. It definitely worked, tickets printed and in hand. I just ended up inviting two more friends, but for a split second I had one of those nasty thoughts about how much two tickets are going to go for on eBay for the first showings...LOL. Inviting friends instead wasn't a difficult decision, but I would be lying if I didn't think about picking up more extras.

I have a feeling a lot of folks are going to do that - my prediction is that they will have massive early sell-outs, and then theaters are going to start adding more and more shows over that next week. I wouldn't be surprised if some theaters go 24-hours just to keep scheduling Star Wars shows. I know theaters that did it for TDK (I saw a 3:30AM show that was added when 12:30AM sold out, they keep adding as they sell out) and I'd be willing to bet that eventually everyone who wants to see Star Wars that first week or two will be able, but a lot of folks are going to spend a whole lot of money to be among the first that is going to make the price for the Disney event look darn attractive, LOL.

PhotoDave219

I can confirm - 7PM on the 17th. I just got mine. Not at WDW, mind you, LOL, but Fandango already has a few dozen theaters with active ticketing up. A really nice theater about an hour away from me was on the list, so I jumped ASAP. Fandango is already having slowdown issues with folks refreshing, in a couple hours when it's all "officially" open I have a feeling they are going to break the Internet LOL.

One funny thing, I got an error message after my first check-out, and figured I was out of luck. Then I checked, still available, so I did it again. Same error. Good thing I thought to check - the sales actually went through. Or I would have had a third set LOL. It definitely worked, tickets printed and in hand. I just ended up inviting two more friends, but for a split second I had one of those nasty thoughts about how much two tickets are going to go for on eBay for the first showings...LOL. Inviting friends instead wasn't a difficult decision, but I would be lying if I didn't think about picking up more extras.

I have a feeling a lot of folks are going to do that - my prediction is that they will have massive early sell-outs, and then theaters are going to start adding more and more shows over that next week. I wouldn't be surprised if some theaters go 24-hours just to keep scheduling Star Wars shows. I know theaters that did it for TDK (I saw a 3:30AM show) and I'd be willing to bet that eventually everyone who wants to see Star Wars that first week or two will be able, but a lot of folks are going to spend a whole lot of money to be among the first that is going to make the price for the Disney event look darn attractive, LOL.

Disney Springs has 11PM ETX available right now.

YodaMan

Tickets went up at 8 PM - well before everyone was saying. There was ONE showing at 7 PM in 3D for Fork and Screen and every other screening was for the after party. Not much in the way of options if you don't want to pay $100….

AEfx

Disney Springs has 11PM ETX available right now.

LOL I am glad of two things right now - 1) that I already took the end of that week off, and 2) that I have the tickets already so I can just enjoy watching the trailer in a few.

BTW, was totally thinking about you when I was unblocking ESPN so I could get the trailer, haha...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom